Thai Andy THE 60 YEAR OLD NEWBIE. (1 Viewer)

Thai Andy

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Rochester Kent
Funster No
MH
buying first MH in March
Exp
Hi Guys and Girls very very new to this through an illness a year ago i have decided to leave my job and sell my house to go roaming around europe from may 15 until october 15 each year with my second hand motorhome. As yet i have not bought one and there lies the problem. What do i buy, I like the autotrail cheftain, Loads of room there is only me. I have never even seen inside one. What are they like fuel wise etc etc can anybody help with loads of advice . Iam a good listener. Regards Thai Andy.....

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you think in terms of 25 mpg you won't be far wrong.

There is absolutely no alternative to getting inside a load of them, with notebook and camera. Only you know what you like. There is a bias in here for Hymers, about 10 years or so ago they were building classics to last. They might still be but the prices are eye-watering.

Beware some UK vans, some were built to leak, search in here for leak or ingress.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Thai Andy

Free Member
Sep 10, 2014
Rochester Kent
Funster No
MH
buying first MH in March
Exp
Thanks for that one more question. The chieftain ive been told weighs in at 5000kgs is there any problem with parking on sites in france or even getting to them.........

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Welcome to the forum from this part of Europe! I hope you will find your very own home on wheels. It will certainly give you some good and positive vibes and probably be the best tablets ever to help you with your illness!

You will find here all the knowledge you will be looking for, but as Brian just said go and see as many as you can, you'll find the one for you!

Amicalement

Frankie:):)

Edit: just saw your last post and be sure you can get nearly everywhere in France with a 5000kgs ... Nothing to worry about!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't be set on a particular van especially if you haven't even been inside one. Look at as many different vans as you can and once you are sure you've found the right one walk away from it and look at some more before you commit.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Go to a couple of big dealers, sit in lots of vans. Imagine it's raining for 24 hours and that van is your home.
It's only by looking at lots, trying them out , that you'll know when you've found the tight one.

Sorry forgot to say Welcome to Fun.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Andy, try and get to a motorhome show. There is one in Shepton Mallet this weekend and another in a couple of weeks at Lincoln. If you can't make either of those, or even if you can, it will pay you to drop into Johns Cross motorhomes, they are not far from you and come with an excellent reputation. Meanwhile, welcome to the Fun (y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi andy and a warm welcome to MHF.Hope you find your ideal motorhome soon.dont rush into it theres plenty out there.if its a chieftain that you finally settle on make sure you have the correct licence(y)
brian and jo

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome, are you planning to live in it when you get back to the UK? If so you need a fully winterized vehicle, which probably means a German one.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Welcome to the site, enjoy your hunt, you are not alone. We are into our third month now!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that one more question. The chieftain ive been told weighs in at 5000kgs is there any problem with parking on sites in france or even getting to them.........
There may be a problem with your licence. You will need a C1 entitlement (look on back of your licence) for anything over 3500kg MGW. Came as standard if you passed your car test before a certain date (not sure exactly when, but other will know), but not afterwards.

Doubt that 5,000kg would be a problem for French campsites.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Can you give me any advice on wether or not the autotrail cheftain would be a good first buy or not

In a word no, I've no experience of them, but I did make a good stab at mpg.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc:

I can't add much to what has already been said.... look at loads and loads of vans.

Decide what you must have, what you need, what you would like.

the important things are:
layout
payload (you don't want to put all your gear in and then find it's over weight)
no of berths (you might not always be alone)
no of travel seats
are there changes in level inside the van - if so does it matter? It did to me as I could trip over anything.
Oh, and did I say layout????

Why not go to Spain or Morocco for the winter?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Andy

Welcome to Fun, best forum for friends and good advice, as Jim our Ringleader says come and pay us a visit and speak to our Andy, he has fulltimed in the past and what he doesnt know about vans isnt worth knowing.

Same as Glenn in the workshop who oversees all our sales vans inspections and servicing

Regards

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi the AT is a large van so may limit your use in towns etc -do you need all that room as a solo traveler ? If you stick to a sub 20 ft er you can and will be able to park almost everywhere -picking the right layout is your aim so like already said look at lots -if you are going to a show see if you can find out Beerdrinker Ken and have a look inside his van :DI think it's perfect for a solo or couple (very impressive) -You can always hire a van and after a week or so traveling you will soon have a list of what you want/need or indeed don't want :)Layout (y) did I mention layout :D
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back