Testing your broadband connection speed (1 Viewer)

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
I have come across these two web sites for testing your broadband connection speed. I have tried this myself and both web sites seem to be spot on with the reading.

Link Removed

www.speedtest.net

Thought this might be of interest to see if you actually are getting the download speed that you are paying for.

Hope this helps

Leggo:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And a coconut goes to anybody that is getting what they pay for:Doh:
The coconut is safe with me then:thumb:

I was paying for a Virgin 10 meg packageand the best they could manage on average was 2.5 to 4 meg:cry:
after complaining and threating to leave Virgin they gave me FREE a 20 meg connection for the same price:thumb:
best they can do now is 8-11 meg
So if 8 to 11 is available, why was i not getting 8 when paying for 10:Angry:
Con merchants all of em
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

this was the expected results.

we are signed up for 8mb but get free phonecalls which would far exceed what we pay for B/B.

contacted AOL and they couldnt give a monkeys.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And a coconut goes to anybody that is getting what they pay for:Doh:
The coconut is safe with me then:thumb:

I was paying for a Virgin 10 meg packageand the best they could manage on average was 2.5 to 4 meg:cry:
after complaining and threating to leave Virgin they gave me FREE a 20 meg connection for the same price:thumb:
best they can do now is 8-11 meg
So if 8 to 11 is available, why was i not getting 8 when paying for 10:Angry:
Con merchants all of em
Geo

exactly !!!! and they just blame the phone line. :Angry:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I've recently joined o2 was told i woud get 6mb and i do. works out to £1.20 /wk ::bigsmile:

Do i qualify for a coconut ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
most service providers offer UP TO whatever, Tiscali offer up to 8 meg, I actually only get 496 kbps download and 234 kbps upload no wonder I don't stand a chance in the quiz.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Geo

Just signed up to Virgin 10mb .. here is result

You're fortunate in my experience Jim. We were getting pathetic speeds on Virgin until a couple of weeks ago. I'd suspected that the old modem wasn't up to the job for a while but always been told it was until I managed to get someone in customer services who knew what he was talking about.

New modem delivered in a couple of days and download speed went up from 0.5 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps. Never been anywhere near your readings though.

A number of people have told me that sites like Speedtest aren't all that accurate. I have no proof one way or the other but this is an alternative which Virgin Media gave me:
To check your speed please go to gamefiles.virginmedia.com and select 2 files of at least 20 MB, also select 2 from fuller.zen.co.uk/test, then download them all simultaneously. You should be able to get around 2000 KB/s in total for the 20 Mb service, 1000KB/s for the 10 Mb service, 500 KB/s for the 4 Mb service and 250 KB/s for the 2 Mb service. Please ensure when downloading that you have no other open programs running as they will all use a share of the connection speed.

Graham

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Not all these sites are accurate even your own isp speed tests. The only accepted speed test, should there be a depute regarding speed and performance is BT own test click here

regards

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Geo

Just signed up to Virgin 10mb .. here is result

close enough to 10 , are you on a fibre optic cable network ?

second test

third

Jim
Yes fibre JIm
that speed is only for new comers:ROFLMAO: and will decay I gaurantee:thumb:

I've recently joined o2 was told i woud get 6mb and i do. works out to £1.20 /wk ::bigsmile:

Do i qualify for a coconut ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

No, your paying for a 10 meg, nobody is selling a 6 meg:RollEyes:

Not all these sites are accurate even your own isp speed tests. The only accepted speed test, should there be a depute regarding speed and performance is BT own test click here

regards
Im not with BT so how does that work:RollEyes:
Geo---paying for 20 getting 11:Doh:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Perfect timing, I have been trying to find out what the speed is here.

I am only getting 0.75mb/s but I am out in the country miles from the nearest substation.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am with AOL was getting only 500k speedtests on a good day after asking for my code to leave and complaining now get a steady 4+ meg and a cheaper deal if your broadband is crap keep complaining and threaten to leave :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Im not with BT so how does that work:RollEyes:
Geo---paying for 20 getting 11:Doh:
No not if your on cable :Doh:;but for others that are connected via a BT line, this is the speed test thats acceptable in any despute.

No provider gives an exact download speed only an upto figure, be foolish of them to do so
as each connection is different for a number of reasons. My option may be up to 10MB and happen if i lived next to the exchange then this would be the case. Before i accepted the terms i was told that my speed connection would be 6MB and thats what i've got, so come on i should get that coconut::bigsmile:

Its not rocket science to find out what your exchange line speed will be, any provider should be able to tell you the speeds you should expect.

Regards

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
No not if your on cable :Doh:;but for others that are connected via a BT line, this is the speed test thats acceptable in any despute.

No provider gives an exact download speed only an upto figure, be foolish of them to do so
as each connection is different for a number of reasons. My option may be up to 10MB and happen if i lived next to the exchange then this would be the case. Before i accepted the terms i was told that my speed connection would be 6MB and thats what i've got, so come on i should get that coconut::bigsmile:

Its not rocket science to find out what your exchange line speed will be, any provider should be able to tell you the speeds you should expect.

Regards

Depends on the line attenuation.Distance from exchange,Contention ratio etc

A purely speculative figure...But in the end....What you get may be wildly different to all the figures you are given.

No one can give an EXACT figure.

I learnt that when providing circuits for the BBC and early subscribers with BT comms and cellnet (Mobile Phones)

Use one of these measuring tools and get the speed you can connect and transfer at that time.FROM THAT SERVER...

Also depends on the speed/load of transfer of the site you're connected to at the time....

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
no idea as I am a lot more than 50 miles from London and exchange in Barnstaple is around 12 miles away.

try your postcode here Roger

and here to find info and distance

ps select BB

Last edited by a moderator:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Gosh there are some really bad connections around, guess i am in lucky to be in the middle bracket and at times mine is so slow it is painful, I can't imagine what it is like for the much slower B/B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Correct.
I had problems with my connection when i first changed over from dial-up to broadband with Virgin. When i contacted Virgin they would only accept readings from the BT speed tester....no other. They matched the readings they had already told me i was getting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back