Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Went to fill up tank at tesco, I had 9p a litre discount I had saved . Only thing is you can only have it in multiples of 2 so could only have 8p discount. Is this how they are clawing back the money they have lost ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Frustrating isn't it? As is the fact that you can only use the discount you've earned in one month - you can't combine 2 months discounts!

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I work in a Tesco pfs so feel free to ask away if there are more questions :)

As for the odd number problem, it should never have happened; there is/was a problem in the software so when you spent more than £25 but less than £50 instore your receipt would show 1p, or whichever odd number was one more than the even number that *should* show. It's a problem that should be fixed now so the odd numbers, hopefully, won't show up on your receipt any more.
The 1p, incidentally, would only be lost if you used, say, 10p/l right at then end of the month and your receipt indicated that you had 11p, because it would drop off after the last day, otherwise any additional spends instore would add to it and you could still use it when it became 2p or higher.
Ideally the odd numbers should never have shown and then people would have no idea that it ever existed!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: BwB

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Frustrating isn't it? As is the fact that you can only use the discount you've earned in one month - you can't combine 2 months discounts!

No, you're right, but that's just the rules of the promotion, and it's still better than the old voucher promotion as you save more if you spend more. It has been quite frustrating trying to explain to some customers how it works. Others get it instantly and have worked out how to get the most from it. Others just use their 20p/l discount buying £5 worth of fuel. I kid you not. Drives me nuts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It clearly says that you can only 'spend' it in multiples of 2ps and seeing as they are giving you for nowt in the first place, in addition to your Clubcard points, you aren't actually losing anything! Your shopping receipt clearly tells you how much you've 'earned' so if you want to bump it up to another even number to be able to use it all, you just have to buy some more shopping (each 1p = £25 shopping).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Question for you Simon ... speaking hypothetically, if you say bought something to bump your fuel discount up to the maximum 20p to spend in the month, then filled up with fuel and used the discount, but then for whatever reason had to return the goods ... how would they DEDUCT the fuel discount (as they do with Clubcard points) ....

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would not go out of my way to fill up at tesco it's just because we had the discount. Often the other places can be a 1p litre cheaper ie asda or sainsburys.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Question for you Simon ... speaking hypothetically, if you say bought something to bump your fuel discount up to the maximum 20p to spend in the month, then filled up with fuel and used the discount, but then for whatever reason had to return the goods ... how would they DEDUCT the fuel discount (as they do with Clubcard points) ....
No......

But after dark they will send round jonny shelfstacker to syphon your fuel tank by the required amount.

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp

Tesco 'reserve the right' to remove fuel savings if something is returned, but I don't think they would bother doing so unless the item was of significant value and they suspected it was purchased just to gain extra Fuelsave.

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
I would not go out of my way to fill up at tesco it's just because we had the discount. Often the other places can be a 1p litre cheaper ie asda or sainsburys.

A surprising number of people are very blasé about whether or not they use their 2p/l discount, or 4p, or anything up to 10p/l. It's odd because you should hear them kick off about the price going *up* by a penny!

Indeed, you yourself have made the point that other suppliers can be 1p/l cheaper. If I fill my car or the van from empty that would save only 70p, yet with 20p/l Fuelsave I would keep back £14.00 for sweeties.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A surprising number of people are very blasé about whether or not they use their 2p/l discount, or 4p, or anything up to 10p/l. It's odd because you should hear them kick off about the price going *up* by a penny!

Indeed, you yourself have made the point that other suppliers can be 1p/l cheaper. If I fill my car or the van from empty that would save only 70p, yet with 20p/l Fuelsave I would keep back £14.00 for sweeties.

Very true but.......that 70p cost you nothing.......and is repeatable every time you fill up and if you have more than one vehicle it soon adds up.
You didnt have to spend money instore to get it, then start saving the points/coupons again to accrue another discount.

OP
OP
Ivory55

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You got me wrong, as I had the discount I filled up there. If I never had any points the other garages are often 1p cheaper a litre , only used them as I had the discount. Used to go to morrisons as it gave you £5 off your shopping but do not pass them now.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I work in a Tesco pfs so feel free to ask away if there are more questions :)

As for the odd number problem, it should never have happened; there is/was a problem in the software so when you spent more than £25 but less than £50 instore your receipt would show 1p, or whichever odd number was one more than the even number that *should* show. It's a problem that should be fixed now so the odd numbers, hopefully, won't show up on your receipt any more.
The 1p, incidentally, would only be lost if you used, say, 10p/l right at then end of the month and your receipt indicated that you had 11p, because it would drop off after the last day, otherwise any additional spends instore would add to it and you could still use it when it became 2p or higher.
Ideally the odd numbers should never have shown and then people would have no idea that it ever existed!
I am now completely confused:Eeek: and going to sleep think this was the post that broke me after 17 hrs on my feet:rofl::rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Tesco 'reserve the right' to remove fuel savings if something is returned, but I don't think they would bother doing so unless the item was of significant value and they suspected it was purchased just to gain extra Fuelsave.
But if you've spent it then HOW can they take it back????

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
When I was working and driving all over the place, I made a point of always filling my car up at Tesco and getting the club card points. As a result, along with occasional shopping from Tesco we've been able to use the Chunnel several times for very little outlay.(y)

Recently, I bought two new pairs of spectacles from Tesco Opticians. I used some club card vouchers towards the total cost which brought the price down £40 to £304. I then got the new points on the club card for the £340 purchase, plus we then had 24p per litre fuel discount available. I filled the van up yesterday in Lincoln and got £12.65 discount off 63.25 litres. :LOL:

This left 4p fuel discount available today. My car was running low so I filled up and got all my entitled discount before the month end.(y)

Shame Tesco hadn't dropped their fuel price by 5p yesterday as predicted today.:(

The fuel discount concept strikes me as a 'no brainer' plus we should have enough clubcard points left for the Chunnel in the New Year.(y)

Finally, Id just like to add that the new Tesco Store at Lincoln is very different to any we've been in previously and we were pleasantly surprised. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, our camper needs filling and with our 20p per litre 'fuel save' that's going to 'save' us £16, plus a 5p a litre discount, that's another £4.00, so a total 'saving' of £20 ... can't complain about that!:) (y)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
But if you've spent it then HOW can they take it back????

I imagine they could possibly withhold future savings if they really wanted to, but it seems unlikely that anything would happen.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Our nearest Tesco is only 1/2 mile away but our nearest Tesco fuel station is 8 miles away and not on a route to anywhere we go regularly so we don't take advantage of the fuelsave very often, just can't be arsed driving 8 miles to save a coule of quid. For the Lincoln show both the camper (60 litres) and the Ducat work van (75 litres) needed fuelling up and we had 6p/litre fuelsave points. The camper was literally running on fumes and so not sure it could do 8 miles I opted for a local fuel station to tank it. The Duke only needed 2/3rds of a tankful so not worth the 1/2 hr and 16 mile round trip to save a couple of quid.

D.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We shop at Morrisons they had a 4 week deal on spend over £40.00, get a ticket, on the 4th week a ticket for the pumps at 10p a ltr off, PLUS £10.00 off that weeks shopping, so took the van (get more in that tank) lol, so 60 ltrs £6.00 off & the £10.00 at the till not a bad do for groceries we would have bought anyway. Pete :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When I was working and driving all over the place, I made a point of always filling my car up at Tesco and getting the club card points. As a result, along with occasional shopping from Tesco we've been able to use the Chunnel several times for very little outlay.(y)

Recently, I bought two new pairs of spectacles from Tesco Opticians. I used some club card vouchers towards the total cost which brought the price down £40 to £304. I then got the new points on the club card for the £340 purchase, plus we then had 24p per litre fuel discount available. I filled the van up yesterday in Lincoln and got £12.65 discount off 63.25 litres. :LOL:

This left 4p fuel discount available today. My car was running low so I filled up and got all my entitled discount before the month end.(y)

Shame Tesco hadn't dropped their fuel price by 5p yesterday as predicted today.:(

The fuel discount concept strikes me as a 'no brainer' plus we should have enough clubcard points left for the Chunnel in the New Year.(y)

Finally, Id just like to add that the new Tesco Store at Lincoln is very different to any we've been in previously and we were pleasantly surprised. (y)

Flippin Eck.....Asda Opticians, two pair designer Varifocal specs £157 (£99 one pair), no wonder Tesco could knock £40 off, £140 and still dearer than Asda, check out the Asda design label glasses.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Flippin Eck.....Asda Opticians, two pair designer Varifocal specs £157 (£99 one pair), no wonder Tesco could knock £40 off, £140 and still dearer than Asda, check out the Asda design label glasses.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You must realise that you are paying towards the latest Tesco Toy.
Gulfstream 5 executive jet, A big thing that costs £25,000,000 plus several thousand £s per hour to run and enough range to fly no stop to Tel Aviv or USA. This was bought by the outgoing (or should be) Board as a corporate transport????? Enough for the major family shareholders to visit the UK should they desire.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
And the new CEO has told them to chop it, and the existing 4 private jets, in.
I wonder how they'll lose on the new one with just delivery miles on it :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The answer is for them to put them out to charter and make some money from hire.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Do they get the fuel discount when the fill those up? Bet they take a bit more than 90 litres :)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
You must realise that you are paying towards the latest Tesco Toy.
Gulfstream 5 executive jet, A big thing that costs £25,000,000 plus several thousand £s per hour to run and enough range to fly no stop to Tel Aviv or USA. This was bought by the outgoing (or should be) Board as a corporate transport????? Enough for the major family shareholders to visit the UK should they desire.

But... but... they told us it was for super-urgent grocery deliveries! I was going to apply for the driver's job!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The answer is for them to put them out to charter and make some money from hire.
They did do that too. Tesco have had private jets for over 20 years. It used to be a well kept secret until the current operator 'took' the order from the previous one :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back