LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I just tried to redeem my Tesco’s vouchers against a Dover/Calais P&O ferry crossing - failed :-(. Apparently they don’t do Motorhomes on the vouchers any more.

Went back and read the blurb and sadly it is clear (in my defence it worked last year) so think I’ve just biffed up.

Are there any crossings that people have managed to use Tesco’s Vouchers for? (I can probably re-use the vouchers on another trip over in my Toy Car so won’t lose out).

Thanks

Jim

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
dont think theyve ever done the dover calais ferries think it one of the northen crossings harwich or hullbut you can use them for the tunnel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't recall being able to use Tesco vouchers for anything other than Eurotunnel, other routes such as mentioned above, or Ireland yes, but not Dover to Calais.

Last edited:

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
@Happy Jim you can exchange Tesco vouchers for DFDS travel up until 25 August 2019. You then need to use them within the next 6 months.

You cannot book your crossing on line you have to ring up DFDS to book.

If you look up Tesco club card it explains the system.

Hope this helps you.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Back in the day, you could use Tesco Vouchers for P&O North Sea, Ireland and the Channel.

North Sea went a long time ago, and not sure about the rest.

Eurotunnel, no limits.
Stena Line, I think £105 each way to Holland

I have started to use ours for British Airways, Avios. Only for direct flights from Manchester.

OP
OP
Happy Jim

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Thanks all, maybe I just got lucky last year, hey ho. I’ll go read the blurb and try DFDS (thanks for the pointer @Trixie)

Jim

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I'm sure I've used them in the past. Although I did used to change them into airmiles ,maybe that's how I used them. Can't use them anymore either.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I used them last June on P&O Dover to Calais although it caused a slight delay checking in as they'd "only just started taking them".
I also used them on DFDS the year before, same crossing.
Looks like Veronica @Trixie has the up to date information.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Why a ferry or do you have a problem with the tunnel?

We always use the tunnel (Tesco vouchers) mainly because of the dog but the boss doesn't like ferries. No hassle on the train, a quick check-in, well-organised formalities, a 35 minute crossing and 10 mins later you're on the motorway to wherever. Same thing in return.

No brainer as far as we're concerned - but then we do live almost next to one of the largest Tescos in UK and also use their credit cards. Pays for at least three crossings a year (but not the dog, grrrrr!)

OP
OP
Happy Jim

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
Well that was refreshing! I just phoned Tesco’s and said “Whoops, made a boo boo - can I change companies?” Fully expecting a fight.....Yep, mail sent and new codes received whilst I was on the phone, took all of 5 mins!!

Booked with DFDS now.

As for why not Tunnel. Good question, I was stationed in Germany prior to the tunnel opening so always used the ferries, then the tunnel opened and never went back, it’s quick/efficient/great for a quick getaway. However, in the Van I like to wind down and relax a bit, it takes me about 2 hours ish to get to Dover, then jump on the ferry....and pay the extra for the Exec Lounge thingy - peace & quiet, tea/coffee biccies on tap, nice sea view, free newspaper etc etc - it just helps me book mark the start of the Holiday rather than have a frantic dash through the tunnel no time to unwind and then start driving again.
In short....it’s psychological, when I’m off on a boys trip in my toy car it’s the total opposite, I only ever use the Tunnel - - It’s just me....I’m weird :Grin:

Cheers
Jim

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not weird Jim - was just interested.

In my time as a coachie I crossed the channel hundreds of times and, to be honest, always preferred the ferry as I could get a proper legal rest and a break from the pax, plus a (reasonably, dependant on company) decent meal. Not always possible on the train although I used that quite often too.

Nowadays my priorities are somewhat different and we organise ourselves to take advantage.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Well that was refreshing! I just phoned Tesco’s and said “Whoops, made a boo boo - can I change companies?” Fully expecting a fight.....Yep, mail sent and new codes received whilst I was on the phone, took all of 5 mins!!

Booked with DFDS now.

As for why not Tunnel. Good question, I was stationed in Germany prior to the tunnel opening so always used the ferries, then the tunnel opened and never went back, it’s quick/efficient/great for a quick getaway. However, in the Van I like to wind down and relax a bit, it takes me about 2 hours ish to get to Dover, then jump on the ferry....and pay the extra for the Exec Lounge thingy - peace & quiet, tea/coffee biccies on tap, nice sea view, free newspaper etc etc - it just helps me book mark the start of the Holiday rather than have a frantic dash through the tunnel no time to unwind and then start driving again.
In short....it’s psychological, when I’m off on a boys trip in my toy car it’s the total opposite, I only ever use the Tunnel - - It’s just me....I’m weird :Grin:

Cheers
Jim
Interesting re your relaxation on the ferry.

We always get onto the Tunnel, turn our seats around, open the vacuum flask and have coffee with our sandwiches while travelling through. That gives us a nice half hour’s rest. The time saving over the ferry is valuable to us when travelling to our base in Burgundy.

The advantages of using Tesco vouchers and keeping our dog with us makes it Tunnel for us.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Interesting thread, thanks to all that have put their advice & views on their preferred method of crossing.
Can someone with Tesco voucher experience tell me if there is an expiry date on Club points? or is the expiry date on using the vouchers?, reason I ask is that we have been saving up our precious Tesco points for some time now, and not using Tesco that often it takes time to build a decent balance up.
Thanks
Les

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Can someone with Tesco voucher experience tell me if there is an expiry date on Club points? or is the expiry date on using the vouchers?, reason I ask is that we have been saving up our precious Tesco points for some time now, and not using Tesco that often it takes time to build a decent balance up.
Thanks
Les
Hi Les
Yes, I can’t check because we’ve used all our vouchers, but there is an expiry date - can’t remember if it’s 2 years or 3. I think the points convert to vouchers every quarter. But if I recall right, you always used to be able to “recycle “ vouchers on the verge of expiring, by ringing them up - no idea how long they were then valid for, as we’ve never done it.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Slightly off topic, I just tried to book Wightlink from the Isle of Wight ferry, through C&CC 40% discount .
But you can't use Tesco points with another offer , Dam !!! got quite a few points as not going to France this year.
Get most of my points by using there credit card , dont shop much at Tesco's.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Interesting thread, thanks to all that have put their advice & views on their preferred method of crossing.
Thanks
Les
I believe that, as you approach the expiry date, you can contact Tesco and ask for them to be reissued.

Someone else may be able to confirm this but I think I read it somewhere a few months ago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks
Les
  • The accrued Clubcard points are automatically converted either quarterly or yearly (if you opt in to this) into £ coupons which are then valid for 2 years from issue.

• You can either spend the coupons in store at face value, or exchange them at 3 x value for one of the 'partner deals' vouchers - once converted the partner deal coupon is valid for 6 months from the date of issue (see * below).

• If the cost of your 'partner deal' exchange is less than the original Tesco coupon then the balance will be put back into your Tesco Clubcard account (converted back to points).
* If you intend to exchange coupons for some companies, eg Eurotunnel, make sure you have enough saved up if you want to cover the full cost before you do so as the companies will only accept ONE exchange voucher per transaction (you could break it down into outward and inward journeys and do them as 2 transactions to use 2 x exchange vouchers).

As for exchanging coupons that are going out of date this is what they say:

Sorry. Unused, expired and redeemed Reward Partner vouchers or voucher codes cannot be refunded, reissued or exchanged.

We sometimes 'recycle' though - if we have some high value coupons which we're not going to use and they are coming to the end of the 2 year validity, we buy minimum value 'deal' vouchers with each one individually which means that only the small amount of value is actually 'exchanged' and the balance in value goes back into the pot as points to use in the future.

By opting into the 'Christmas Saver' you can have all of your points converted yearly in November rather than quarterly, you can add money to the saver if you want to get any of the 'cash' bonuses but the cash you pay in and the bonus can ONLY be spent, not exchanged. It just means that you get all your coupons at one time, rather than in dribs and drabs throughout the year.

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/christmas-savers/

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Minxy Girl
Thanks for that explanation. I thought there was a way around it, but couldn’t remember how.

My post (#17) .......I must have remembered your information from a previous post.(y)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks @Minxy Girl
Complicated isnt it?:unsure:
It would seem that some of our points have expired now, as they should have been used before July 2018:(
We also have two accounts running somehow, with points on each that apparently we cannot merge or combine.
If Tesco points are a form of reward currency in return for buying stuff at or via Tesco, I cannot understand why they would have a "use by" date. They also seem to move the goal posts on certain rules also, TinaL seems to think that the vouchers for say Eurotunnel must be used within 3 months now instead of the original 6 months.
We must look further into the Christmas Saver method if that means we can preserve/protect our hard earned points a bit longer, so thanks for the tip on that.
We also save up our Sainsburys Reward points which dont have an expiry date, which we use to buy the booze at Christmas, shame they dont offer Eurotunnel vouchers.

Les & TinaL

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
TinaL seems to think that the vouchers for say Eurotunnel must be used within 3 months now instead of the original 6 months.

According to the Tesco CC website FAQ it says:

How long are my Partner vouchers valid for?

Partner vouchers are valid for 6 months, unless otherwise stated. An expiry date is shown on each voucher, so keep an eye on this so you don’t miss out.

She may be thinking of the four times a year (ie every 3 months) when Tesco issue the coupons except for those who've opted into the Christmas Saver.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Why a ferry or do you have a problem with the tunnel?

We always use the tunnel (Tesco vouchers) mainly because of the dog but the boss doesn't like ferries. No hassle on the train, a quick check-in, well-organised formalities, a 35 minute crossing and 10 mins later you're on the motorway to wherever. Same thing in return.

No brainer as far as we're concerned - but then we do live almost next to one of the largest Tescos in UK and also use their credit cards. Pays for at least three crossings a year (but not the dog, grrrrr!)
Is the Tesco credit card a good bet?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is the Tesco credit card a good bet?

It's a credit card, same as many others - as long as you pay it off every month and don't draw cash so you pay no interest or charges. Others on here will tell you of better deals, such as cashback etc., no problem with that if you can be bothered with the fuss. Tesco works for us, but maybe not for everybody, because we use the points to pay for Tunnel crossings, thus getting three times their value.

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
It's a credit card, same as many others - as long as you pay it off every month and don't draw cash so you pay no interest or charges. Others on here will tell you of better deals, such as cashback etc., no problem with that if you can be bothered with the fuss. Tesco works for us, but maybe not for everybody, because we use the points to pay for Tunnel crossings, thus getting three times their value.
Thank you for the advice. I have always used the Tunnel, so this is a good way to step up the points. Cheers

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Hi we have enough points saved for two crossings of our choosing this year just from the tesco credit card used to pay for shopping and balance cleared every month
HTH

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Thanks
Les
So easy to use vouchers for tunnel. Use the oldest ones first, and they refund any overpayment with new vouchers which have new date.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back