Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Next July we are off to Italy on the bike and our outward journey is using the overnight Motorail from Düsseldorf to Verona on the way back we are riding all the way probably mainly through Germany as neither of us have really seen much of it.

Anyway we are thinking tunnel both ways and using some Tesco points.

I noticed that it must be booked more than 14 days before we go, the thing is we know when we are going but not the exact time we are returning.

So should be book one way, or both and when is the best time to book ?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
With regard to booking one way or return, you can only book journeys originating from Folkestone using your Tesco vouchers, i.e. a return or one way from Folkestone, not a one way from Calais.

You could book a return and then phone and change the return booking - though you may end up paying any difference in price if it has changed.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
Next July we are off to Italy on the bike and our outward journey is using the overnight Motorail from Düsseldorf to Verona on the way back we are riding all the way probably mainly through Germany as neither of us have really seen much of it.

Anyway we are thinking tunnel both ways and using some Tesco points.

I noticed that it must be booked more than 14 days before we go, the thing is we know when we are going but not the exact time we are returning.

So should be book one way, or both and when is the best time to book ?

Thanks
Sorry I cannot help with Tesco/tunnel, but could you point me in the direction of the website you booked the motorail with? I used motorail from Dusseldorf to Vienna couple of years go, but can no longer find the website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just book it one way using your vouchers overall you will still be saving the same amount and you won't be tied to a return date.
We do that every winter on our trip down to Spain.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just book it one way using your vouchers overall you will still be saving the same amount and you won't be tied to a return date.
We do that every winter on our trip down to Spain.
We do the same but usually return on the ferry as it's half the price.
Just booked our return with DFDS £51 :love:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You could book a return and then phone and change the return booking - though you may end up paying any difference in price if it has changed.
My advice would be exactly the same as that Stroppy Bird has provided. Book a return using your Tresco vouchers. Make a 'best estimate' of when you might want to come back, but then change the return date anytime whilst you're over there, if you need to.

There are no admin charges for changing and you can do it as often as you like - you simply have to pay any extra if the price of the new date is more expensive than the one originally booked.

In all likelihood it will be more expensive, because the lowest prices are achieved the earlier you book. So re-scheduling at short notice might cost a bit more - they'll just ask you to pay a supplement. I'm not sure if you can 'change' bookings paid with Tesco vouchers online? You can with standard tickets and also Frequent Traveller tickets, but in any case we always find Eurotunnel staff very helpful on the phone.

You can check out the price of crossings at any time online, and they will only charge the same price over the phone, provided you call them directly after you've assessed the cost on the website. Oh and when you make you're original booking, it's good for twelve months - so as said, you can change dates and / or times both ways as often as you want within that timescale.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry I cannot help with Tesco/tunnel, but could you point me in the direction of the website you booked the motorail with? I used motorail from Dusseldorf to Vienna couple of years go, but can no longer find the website.
Broken Link Removed

There you go

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You have to phone to change a Tesco booking, but it’s very easy. We actually changed our outward crossing when we found we could leave a few days early - had to pay about £5 extra.

Our return booking is simply the latest date that we could book at the time - end of February, I think. We’ll definitely be changing that to something later at some point!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You will save 5x your crossing by shopping at Lidl’s instead of Tesco is my opinion.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
You will save 5x your crossing by shopping at Lidl’s instead of Tesco is my opinion.

Ah - but you don't have to grocery shop at Tesco to get clubcard points. Most of my points come from from fuelling up. They are the cheapest petrol station on my daily commute route. Slightly cheaper are ASDA but that would mean going several miles out of my way which negates any savings.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We always book return journeys and have quite often changed the return - as klaatu says it's dead easy but you can't do it online, have to phone.

Ah - but you don't have to grocery shop at Tesco to get clubcard points. Most of my points come from from fuelling up. They are the cheapest petrol station on my daily commute route. Slightly cheaper are ASDA but that would mean going several miles out of my way which negates any savings.

And if you pay with a Tesco credit card you get even more points! Most of our points come through using the Tesco cc for everything then paying it off in one lump before the due date - we use the direct debit to pay it off in full to make sure we don't pay interest, which is quite steep.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We always use the Tunnel because

A). We have a dog and she can stay with us during the crossing

and

B). We use Tesco vouchers.

It is a standing joke that we never end up on the crossing we booked. If we book a crossing for say 15th April, we get itchy feet and ring up to change the booking to the 13 th or 14th.

Our return "booking" is only made so that we can pay in vouchers. We always change it later to suit our ever changing travel plans.

We find the Tunnel very useful and the dog check in at Calais is very professional and slick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you go abroad more than twice a year then look at the ET Frequent Traveller scheme instead, if you can 'twin' up with someone else then you don't have to use all the crossings yourself (minimum of 10 single crossings), it costs £44 + £11 MH supplement per crossing, no extra charges unless you go in the peak or high peak times (not that many) or go out/return at the more expensive times of day but there are more than sufficient times to go and return without having to pay the supplements or travel at "stupid o'clock" times, and the biggest bonus is that if you want to change a crossing it costs you nothing unless you change to a 'peak/high peak' times ... you can do it all online too! Easy peasy.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
no extra charges unless you go in the peak or high peak times (not that many) or go out/return at the more expensive times of day

But you might have to pay to cross the Thames - wouldn't that demolish any saving?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But you might have to pay to cross the Thames - wouldn't that demolish any saving?

Not necessarily, it depends on when you want to cross the bridge and use ET ...

Free Dartford Tunnel or Queen Elizabeth II Bridge times: between 10pm and 6am.

ET times: Off peak, Standard peak, and High Peak ...

upload_2017-10-30_13-21-44.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back