Tesco Reward - Before I do something silly (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I have a few Tesco club card rewards shortly due to expire. I intend (for the first time) to exchange these for channel tunnel tickets.

However, before I do so, please could I ask for a bit of advice, If I change the rewards for tunnel tickets to day is there a specific timescale in which I must use the tunnel tickets.

Thanks
Derry

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I think you will find that you canā€™t just buy tickets without booking a crossing. Not sure if it is different when using Tesco vouchers, but buying without the tickets are valid for a year fromthe date if the original booking and crossings can be changed on line as long as 24hrs notice is given and possibly paying any price difference from original booking. I would advise checking out the website.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just get your voucher from tesco for Euro tunnel then you call Eurotunnel and book your slot as you cannot do it online, they last as long as any other ticket and you can change dates and timesšŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Only addition to what Potty said is that if you go online to the Tunnel website you can work out cost of ticket & thus how many vouchers you need to exchange. (I think somewhere it says on Tesco Rewards that Rewards price may differ from online prices, but tbh I've never known them to differ.)

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I think ( but do check) that once youā€™ve exchanged your tesco Vouchers for the Eurotunnel code you have quite a long time before that code expires
And as above itā€™s all quite flexible after the booking - but only by phone

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We have to change/swop our Tesco points every so often to preserve their value, mainly because we dont shop in Tesco that often, so it takes us an age to collect any real value. To do this I think the OH switches them into something like an Xmas Savings Account, then switches them back to normal points so we dont lose the entire value.
At least that or something like it, is what we have done in recent years, OH is not here at the moment, but I am sure the Tesco Club Point experts will hopefully confirm that is what you can do to get round the expiry date. I am not sure if you can switch back from tunnel vouchers to normal club card points account?, others will know.
We haven't had an opportunity to swop for Tunnel Vouchers in recent times, and it looks like it may be quite a while yet, with current Covid UK re-entry paperwork & PCR tests, as we cant be bothered with all that so will wait it out.
Sorry, but that's all I know about preserving their value over the long term.
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last time we exchanged Tesco vouchers for ET rewards vouchers we had 6 months from the exchange date to use them to book a crossing, once a crossing was booked we had a year from the date we booked it (not the date of the crossing) to use them; if we later amended the crossing date it didn't extend this 12 month 'use by' date. You can only book a single outwards, or an outward and return journey, you can't just book a return journey.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have to change/swop our Tesco points every so often to preserve their value, mainly because we dont shop in Tesco that often, so it takes us an age to collect any real value. To do this I think the OH switches them into something like an Xmas Savings Account, then switches them back to normal points so we dont lose the entire value.
Yes if you sign up for the Christmas Saver it means you don't get the periodic vouchers through, you just get them all lumped together in November.
At least that or something like it, is what we have done in recent years, OH is not here at the moment, but I am sure the Tesco Club Point experts will hopefully confirm that is what you can do to get round the expiry date.
I've not done that but have also read a thread on here about someone who has done that.

I am not sure if you can switch back from tunnel vouchers to normal club card points account?, others will know.
Unfortunately once exchanged for any rewards vouchers (eg ET) then you are stuck with them.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes it wos me Minxy Girl that mentioned this before, but memory soon fades as I think its 2 years plus since we shopped in Tesco.:giggle:
Shame that Nectar points cannot be used for other things like ET, as we get more of them shopping in Sainsburys & buying Fuel etc.
LES

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As far as we are concerned we usually just book outward and get as much discount with our vouchers as we canšŸ˜Š the return is obviously whatever price we can get but over all that works out well over the cost of both crossingsšŸ˜Š

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
That's interesting, Alan, as I thought if using Tesco Vouchers you had to book both the outward & return journeys to get the discount, or was that booking with The CMC that we no longer belong to?
Confused.Com comes to mind.:giggle:
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That's interesting, Alan, as I thought if using Tesco Vouchers you had to book both the outward & return journeys to get the discount
Correct you have to book the outward and return crossings at the same time, or just the outward crossing, you can't book the return crossing separately so I assume Alan pays whatever the 'full' price is with ET for his return crossing and not using Tesco ET vouchers.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I queried this with Tesco last month and their reply was.

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

You have upto one year to use your voucher to book a crossing as voucher is expiring 04/05/2022.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

I think they extended it due to Covid.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

You have upto one year to use your voucher to book a crossing as voucher is expiring 04/05/2022.

Yes they extended some of ours, I didn't know if it was permanent though.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That's interesting, Alan, as I thought if using Tesco Vouchers you had to book both the outward & return journeys to get the discount, or was that booking with The CMC that we no longer belong to?
Confused.Com comes to mind.:giggle:
LES
We have never booked a return and used Tesco vouchers loads of timesšŸ˜Š

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Correct you have to book the outward and return crossings at the same time, or just the outward crossing, you can't book the return crossing separately so I assume Alan pays whatever the 'full' price is with ET for his return crossing and not using Tesco ET vouchers.
Thatā€™s correct Minxy Girl it evens out over the two crossingsšŸ˜Š

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I recently phoned Tesco CS as some of my previously extended vouchers were due to expire to see if they could be extended again. They can't be extended but they can be removed and added back on as points which will become vouchers on the next quarterly statement and will then be valid for 2 further years.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that

Thanks to this thread our Tesco exchange vouchers, for a booking in March of last year, have been extended to August 2022. This is the second extension that they have given us. Top marks Eurotunnel.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Tesco points can be used as either:
A return journey, or,
An outbound journey (from Folkestone)

They cannot however be used to purchase an inbound journey (from Calais) in isolation.

OP
OP
DerryW
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Thanks to all that responded. I think I've got it right: -

1. Redeemed Tesco reward vouchers on Tesco website.
2. Received email along with the voucher code from Tesco, including detailed instruction's on how to use the voucher.
3. Redeem CT voucher code when we're ready to book crossing.

Simples......

Thanks once again.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Yes it wos me Minxy Girl that mentioned this before, but memory soon fades as I think its 2 years plus since we shopped in Tesco.:giggle:
Shame that Nectar points cannot be used for other things like ET, as we get more of them shopping in Sainsburys & buying Fuel etc.
LES
You could get a Tesco credit card, use it to pay for your Sainsbury's shopping, fuel etc and collect the Tesco points for spending, just be sure to pay it off in full each month.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You could get a Tesco credit card, use it to pay for your Sainsbury's shopping, fuel etc and collect the Tesco points for spending, just be sure to pay it off in full each month.
Or get a Tesco CC with a long interest free period on purchases which is even better.šŸ˜Š

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Or get a Tesco CC with a long interest free period on purchases which is even better.šŸ˜Š
Ah, but then you need to pay it all back in one lump, that takes forward planning and careful management of funds.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
A word of caution. Are Eurotunnel financially stable?

Eurostar certainly aren't and I wouldn't swap valuable Tesco vouchers for anything Eurostar could offer.

They're not the same, I know, but it's a thought.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back