Terry's self build Transit (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry JJ ::bigsmile: but today progress since I last posted around 3 1/2 hours ago -I have made a 3ft x 4ft 90degree pattern for my mate to use on his garage brickwork (starts in the morning) and fitted 4 doors with catches :Tongue1: All the doors except the two not made yet are now on ,swinging and closing including my bi-fold loo door :thumb:
Now I need help on making a decision on handles :Wink [HI]do I use the nice simple sq ones or the curvy ones in the last two pics ?[/HI] oh nearly forgot I swept the floor as well :winky:
terry

Definitely the curvy ones....

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
looks like the curvy ones have it then :thumb: I can always change them as they have the same centers ::bigsmile:Another bonus point the curvy are cheaper :Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The van is looking better every post terry from what I can see on this phone as for a tv and aerial it makes it a complete package for the new owner

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I like the square ones but wouldn't use them in the camper as you are much more likely to bash yourself on the edges than the more flush curved ones, so my vote is curvy! :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looking really good Terry:thumb:

the handles in vans always work better if curved rather than square....less to bang your head on and makes the doors look less boxlike

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Terry I think you are amazingly talented, I can't believe how quickly it's coming on it looks brilliant.

My vote is curved handles.

We saw a neat ideal in a vantage made motorhome, it was a concealed socket tower set into the kitchen worktop, when pressed it popped up. Just a thought for you, I know next to nothing about electrics but that did impress me!

Pictures on their website.
http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/neo-motorhome-info.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry I think you are amazingly talented, I can't believe how quickly it's coming on it looks brilliant.

My vote is curved handles.

We saw a neat ideal in a vantage made motorhome, it was a concealed socket tower set into the kitchen worktop, when pressed it popped up. Just a thought for you, I know next to nothing about electrics but that did impress me!

Pictures on their website.
http://www.vantagemotorhomes.co.uk/neo-motorhome-info.php

Very nice looking vans :thumb: never heard of them before.but I bet they won't be long before the name is better known :Smile:No room on the worktop in this one for the pop up tower (I have seen them elsewhere) but who knows if I can find the way it works (must be a gas strut of some kind) one may appear in the next build or a couple more down the line -probably in my own :winky:-
The more I look around and ask where to get things from the more I find out --some people are very helpful :thumb: and others it's as if they want to sell you things but don't want you to convert vans :Doh::Smile:
No doubt I will improve on each build I do-if only by getting stuff and machinery to help make things better -I bought a radial arm saw the other week and once I get time to set that up it should improve things a lot but that will come into play on the next one,and I may get my flip over saw back if ever Paul stops putting tvs on it ::bigsmile:-it's there when I need it but because I use other things we have not been bothered to dig it out :Smile:
On the unhelpful side last night I bought a small drill combi set and because it was only 10 mins away I arranged to pick it up and when I got there to the given address a rather attractive lady came out and asked what I wanted ?I explained I had come to pick the drill/combi set up and rather snootily she said this is my house you need to go to the next gate and wait-- my mate was all for telling her to stuff it where the sun don't shine - then I realized it was some office space they (snooty) rent to the suppliers :Smile:Will let you know how the little drill performs later
terry

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We looked at loads of PVC's last year Terry and Vantage stood out as really well made and thought out. If you get a chance to see them at a show or their factory in Leeds, you'll see what lovely people Scot and his wife are.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thursday update - I managed a hour in the van yesterday (Wednesday) and got all the curvy handles on :thumb:Today Paul helped out and we did a 7 hrs on the van :thumb:paul was not amused by the wiring left to do because it was all more or less complete with a couple of connections to make (1 poss 2 hrs at most) This went tits up with the relay from engine to fridge -we had a right job trying to feed the wire from engine bay all inside and up to the control panel ::bigsmile:sounds very easy but it was right bar-steward to do it right :thumb:Then we decided -well Paul decided he was putting in a tv and the reversing camera/sat nav -this entailed running extra wires under the van to the rear plus the video cable for the camera -all in all about another 5 hrs worth of wiring all had to be hidden :Smile:All that's left wiring wise is still the 2 loo lights ::bigsmile:and running the Ariel cable from the front cupboard to the wardrobe -at least that runs through the trunking :thumb:--anyone got a link for a decent TV Ariel with quick delivery ?(status directional type-ish )I managed to to cut and fit a stainless steel look a like board to the kitchen area :thumb: along with the cut outs for the heater controls -- make and fit a loo emptying door plus the two doors that were not yet made under cooker -will fit them in the morning - also made and fitted a piece of board for the new TV bracket to fit to :Smile: all in between the wiring bits (while Paul was making the connections/testing ::bigsmile:) Deffo on scheduled to be 99 % finished for Monday -fingers crossed ::bigsmile:
terry

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Thursday update - I managed a hour in the van yesterday (Wednesday) and got all the curvy handles on :thumb:Today Paul helped out and we did a 7 hrs on the van :thumb:paul was not amused by the wiring left to do because it was all more or less complete with a couple of connections to make (1 poss 2 hrs at most) This went tits up with the relay from engine to fridge -we had a right job trying to feed the wire from engine bay all inside and up to the control panel ::bigsmile:sounds very easy but it was right bar-steward to do it right :thumb:Then we decided -well Paul decided he was putting in a tv and the reversing camera/sat nav -this entailed running extra wires under the van to the rear plus the video cable for the camera -all in all about another 5 hrs worth of wiring all had to be hidden :Smile:All that's left wiring wise is still the 2 loo lights ::bigsmile:and running the Ariel cable from the front cupboard to the wardrobe -at least that runs through the trunking :thumb:--anyone got a link for a decent TV Ariel with quick delivery ?(status directional type-ish )I managed to to cut and fit a stainless steel look a like board to the kitchen area :thumb: along with the cut outs for the heater controls -- make and fit a loo emptying door plus the two doors that were not yet made under cooker -will fit them in the morning - also made and fitted a piece of board for the new TV bracket to fit to :Smile: all in between the wiring bits (while Paul was making the connections/testing ::bigsmile:) Deffo on scheduled to be 99 % finished for Monday -fingers crossed ::bigsmile:
terry

Very well done Terry.

I can't wait to see final pictures.

You and your pal have worked so hard to get it done.
Don't forget to stop for a breath when finished in order to smell the roses:Smile:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Very well done Terry.

I can't wait to see final pictures.

You and your pal have worked so hard to get it done.
Don't forget to stop for a breath when finished in order to smell the roses:Smile:

We have not put that much time in the van -In fact today we were only saying that once we have all the gear we think if we had the time IE him not working ::bigsmile:) we could do a van complete in 2 to 3 weeks maximum working 6 hrs a day -don't want to upset my neighbors by working too early or late :Smile:I think I have only had the van 5 weeks today -will have to check when I first got it -THEN CHECK BACK AS TO HOW many days I have worked on it - not been doing it every day and at least one day where I should not have done anything ::bigsmile:perhaps should have stayed in bed that day:Doh: :winky:
edit will have a couple od days away once it's done -may even go in it, to give it a good shake down
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Friday's update --what a miserable wet day --I got the last 2 doors done /hung handles/catches all finished then I made another opening in the bed slats to gain access from which to site the fresh water tank :Smile:I also fitted a panel inside the front overhead cupboard blocking the Sargent unit/all wires out of harms way to what the tv bracket will screw to --after that I was soaked to the skin simply by going from house to garage and into the van a couple of times so called it a day and went food shopping -I have to eat :winky: ooh and a haircut followed by a long soak in the bath
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Saturday update -Got the fresh water tank fitted and got water to where it's supposed to be but hit a slight problem in that the anti frost dump valve would not stay closed so it kept pumping the water out - temp fix by bypassing the dump valve until I find out where two wires from the dump valve go to or leave the dump valve off ::bigsmile:or find a wiring diagram for the Truma 6002E Combi Boiler (big one? :winky:) Fitted all the heating pipes etc -that just leaves the bathroom lights tv point Ariel and two roof vents to fit tomorrow-and if I get info anti frost dump valve ::bigsmile: Then it's the small bits of trims and figure out how to fit the new front seats on Monday when hopefully I get a mate with a welder around ::bigsmile: they will need a bit of modifying :thumb: No sign of the foam for the rear seat/bed yet --some pics
terry

Attachments

• P1030065.jpg
    P1030065.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 107
  • P1030067.jpg
    P1030067.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 109
  • P1030068.jpg
    P1030068.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 102
  • P1030071.jpg
    P1030071.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 95
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Terry you should give this stuff up! it is very clear for all to see your crap at it...:winky::ROFLMAO:

looks fantastic:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Saturday update -Got the fresh water tank fitted and got water to where it's supposed to be but hit a slight problem in that the anti frost dump valve would not stay closed so it kept pumping the water out - temp fix by bypassing the dump valve until I find out where two wires from the dump valve go to or leave the dump valve off ::bigsmile:or find a wiring diagram for the Truma 6002E Combi Boiler (big one? :winky:) Fitted all the heating pipes etc -that just leaves the bathroom lights tv point Ariel and two roof vents to fit tomorrow-and if I get info anti frost dump valve ::bigsmile: Then it's the small bits of trims and figure out how to fit the new front seats on Monday when hopefully I get a mate with a welder around ::bigsmile: they will need a bit of modifying :thumb: No sign of the foam for the rear seat/bed yet --some pics
terry

Electrical connection
of the safety/drain
valve
Fig. G:
Connect the valve
with the red continuous cur-
rent cable (+) to the fused
vehicle power supply (1 A).
Connect the 2-pin cable with
double connector (58) to the
control unit. The brown cable
(59) is provided for the re-
mote control of the safety/
drain valve (refer to operating
instructions – accessories).

Broken Link Removed :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sunday update -thanks to Big One now the anti frost dump valve is plumbed back in and working as it should ::bigsmile:after me running yet another wire back to LB :Smile:WE THOUGHT WE HAD THEM ALL IN PLACE BUT THERE ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE ANOTHER WIRE TO ADD ::bigsmile:We have decided on the next van we are putting in at least 3 extra spare live wires down each side just in case :winky:::bigsmile:Paul put in the coax for the tv and wired the 240 plug side of things up ready -then decided we need yet another live to where the Ariel socket will be ::bigsmile: No probs on that it just goes into the trunking :winky:I now have bathroom lights :thumb: and for good measure a roof vent in there plus a small one in the living area :thumb::Smile:-One night this week we are firing up everything on gas :thumb: everything is working on leccy side so now I have to get a spare gas bottle lined up to test the gas side of things - Paul says I cannot try it without him :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:-I may wait:winky:--I got my passenger front seat brought over today so now tomorrow we look at how to fix them in :thumb: We also went and got Pauls new alloys and tyres 17 ins from Halfords ÂŁ350 plus ÂŁ25 for fitting kit ordered on line saving ÂŁ50 :winky: so now his VW caddy is looking smart with nice shinny alloys on :thumb:-don't think they would be up to load bearing for the tranny or I would get some for it :Smile:
I just have to find a Y jointing bit for the waste pipe a TV Ariel connection box, box in some wires and carpet the overhead cab bit now and put in a couple of shelves plus a coat hanging rail for the wardrobe and trims--- send it up the road for a valet --- job done :Smile:Then comes the hard bit -finding a buyer who is prepared to pay :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
get snapping Terry we are missing the pictures ::bigsmile:
I cannot wait to see the finished van pictures, you never know you may sell it to a funster without advertising it. There must be a good market for well built vans that do not look like someone kept chickens in them:ROFLMAO: like some dealers have for sale

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Monday-Tuesday morning update with pics ::bigsmile: simply because I have something to take a pic of :Smile:-Monday i made and fitted yet another door to make a little cupboard to stash small things under the fridge -it was simply going to be blanked off as I made the fridge sit on top of the wheel arch so no bending/crawling on the floor to get to bottom of fridge :thumb:
I carpeted/Veltrimed the top/over-cab cupboard and the bottom of the wardrobe -then a mate called and we discussed the front seats/boxes -I cut a couple of fixing lugs off and marked where they wanted welding which he did for me after taking the base upto his garage :thumb: came back and fitted passenger seat in place :thumb::thumb:just temp bolting it in with some old bolts that I had knocking around - then I called in another mate Colin who gave the drivers side a good looking/measuring and he took the drivers seat home with him to see what could be done :Eeek: Got a call at 8.30 pm last night to collect the seat with a new mounting base on it :thumb::thumb:
This morning (Tuesday)I marked and drilled four holes to bolt the seat to the tranny's seat box and duly fastened both seats in place properly -Colin did a fantastic job of getting the seat as low as possible :thumb: in fact to within 2 mm of the battery's -I stuck a bit of plastic over the positive terminal for protection it's that close :Doh::winky:
terry

first pics shows Col's new base -second as base was and still on passenger seat- third is the new base in position on top of battery's ::bigsmile: forth all the tranny wiring (in back of seat base)that we have not got much of a clue about ::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Smile:

Attachments

• P1030072.jpg
    P1030072.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 105
  • P1030075.jpg
    P1030075.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 104
  • P1030076.jpg
    P1030076.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 99
  • P1030077.jpg
    P1030077.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
the finished seats in place
edit forgot to say the passenger seat box is lower (straight forward drill and bolt job) than the drivers which has to accommodate the battery's

Attachments

• P1030073.jpg
    P1030073.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1030074.jpg
    P1030074.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Saturday update -did nothing wed/thurs/friday but today I fitted curtain rails/Wardrobe rail and all the bits of trims etc then my bed seats came over :thumb::thumb:SHE'S FINISHED :thumb::Smile: or at least my bit is ::bigsmile:curtains are being done as I type and will be fitted tomorrow-Paul's fitting a TV and Monday it's getting valeted when the decision will be made as to what to do in the front cab bit :Smile:IF it comes up spotless then it will stay as it is if not we will look at it and make a decision :thumb:Graphics have been promised early next week but I am not holding my breath ::bigsmile:and a standby is in place in case I get let down :Smile:PICS tomorrow when I clear tools and junk out :thumb::thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sunday update -TV is in and working -I have missed 2 bits of trim :Doh: on the door which in my defense is always open so I did not see it ::bigsmile:Will do them after it comes back from valeting :winky:
Here are a few pics

Attachments

• P1030077.jpg
    P1030077.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 88
  • P1030078.jpg
    P1030078.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P1030079.jpg
    P1030079.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 84
  • P1030080.jpg
    P1030080.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
and the last 2 -Julie won't give me the curtains until the windows have been cleaned ::bigsmile:
terry

Attachments

• P1030089.jpg
    P1030089.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1030090.jpg
    P1030090.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 108

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looking fab Terry.. well done mate.. :thumb:

if I had the wonga I'd be heading your way ..

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
What a lovely job you have made Terry, you have used materials that have made it look like a "proper" conversion (coming from an IH owner that is a complement):thumb:
( I know you paid her)::bigsmile: but the lady that did your upholstery I think deserves a bunch of flowers as the seating looks very nice

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Looks magic well done but then I did not expect owt else coming from you. So come on the don't keep us all in suspenders how much is it.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Looks magic well done but then I did not expect owt else coming from you. So come on the don't keep us all in suspenders how much is it.
IT MAY BE SOLD :winky:

Sunday update -it came back from the valeting about 2.30 pm then Julie brought a curtain over for us to hang up but decided she wanted to alter where the curtain tape/hanging bit was -not quite right -so she altered one and that's perfect now so shes altered the others to match and bringing them over in the morning when we will hang them --to late for me to hang them tonight and after her ironing them she says she is not leaving me to throw them on the worktop ::bigsmile::Doh:Anyway the valet has brought the front cab area up almost new so nothing much being done to it :thumb:
AT around 5 pm while I was sat outside in the back garden having a coffee with a couple of friends a lady I know pop-ed her head around the gate and asked me how much and could she go inside and have a proper look :thumb:Both her and hubby where impressed and are coming back Wednesday for a test drive :thumb: he is disabled so not sure if he can drive it -also asked if I wanted cash or a check ::bigsmile: so fingers crossed :Smile:NEEDLESS TO SAY I am happy with the price as it was the least I wanted but at the same time I have been looking at comparable vans same year/spec and what looks similar build -not the sheds :winky: and I think I am selling it about 7/8 k under priced :Eeek:Someone will get a bargain or if it fails to go Wednesday I may try my luck at a considerably higher price and see what happens :thumb:Either way I win :thumb:if they buy it I win if they don't I advertise it at a much higher price and test the water for a true value where it will find it's worth -I would like to say I don't need the money -I don't ::bigsmile: but I want the money so I would be lying ::bigsmile:::bigsmile::winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back