Terry's Self Build Relay (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used authentic John Guest speed fit on mine @Terry works fine. The only leaks I get are on the connector that comes out of the top of the Truma Boiler. I don't know why but they seem to fail with great regularity. I now carry a couple of spares just of this connector. Other than that JG speedfit is brilliant and other than one that failed 4 years ago they have been perfect even on the hot water pipes right next to the boiler.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Terry just reading about your leaking hot water, i have a similar problem with my webasto heater, no matter how tight you do up the jubilee clips , there will be the odd weep here and there, i might strip my system and redo with copper as well, or just put a catch tray underneath in case it does it again, btw keep up the good work fella
pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning Karl,we normally use 15 mm speedfit(polly pipe--I have a mate,that works for them and with his discount=cheap:)) and the 15mm to 12 mm reducers that I have to get to the 12 mm bits (pump etc)never have a problem -or any leaks once it's done --The hydronic heater gets things a lot hotter than any of the other heaters hence all the leaks :DNow we have re-done it in copper =Jobs a good un (y)-My mate Kev- plumber - said that on house pipes you are not supposed to use push fit within 1.5 mtrs of the boiler -they are known to fail;)
While I was at Thretford I was talking to Steve/Diane =cockney plumber-,username Mitzy something I think =another self build- anyway he told me to get a thermostatic controlled mixer and put that close to boiler but that did not do anything until a tap was turned on -then it did what was expected and cools the water down -Any way it's working now so like anything else you live and learn --The van although not finished yet is functional so I can use it and in a couple more weeks I get a weekend off from gallivanting around so it should be as near as dam finished and dry :D:D:DJulie is doing the upholstery next week/week after so it's got to be very close to been done (y)She won't give me my seats back until it's all nice ,clean and done :LOL:The van is a learning curve simply because I have filled it with goodies that we have never fitted or used before -That 7 day timer on the heater is more than enough to keep me confused for months -Paul thinks if I get/read some instructions from somewhere I/he Should be able to turn the boiler up and down :LOL:Even the fridge/freezer is one of those stupid self energy choosing things that I don't know how to drive yet :(:D:D:D
Pete do it in the copper and forget about it (y)
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Terry, On my first 'Bus' which really was a Bus I used the jubilee clip connectors. I also had leaks everywhere. In addition they are a pain to install. I moved over to speedfit and have been much happier. I did consider copper but decided against it for a number of reasons. It is rigid and in a moving vehicle I could imagine circumstances where the movement of the van would cause problems. Also as a fulltimer I like to be able to repair stuff there and then if something goes wrong. I carry a 2 meter coil of the plastic pipe and a little box of connectors. I also have the JG cutting tool. I can repair a leak in my van in minutes. This just wouldn't be possible with copper.

I do like the work you are doing though (y)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Karl I have only done the first bits in copper (y)I should never have gone with the pipe/clips but it was to get it done so I could use it --I am thinking more along the lines of simply have a couple of weekends working on the van to finish it and then go gallivanting -it may mean missing a meet or two but at least the van will be done/finished and then I can enjoy it (y)rather than making do and it dragging on -Just been out to look and measure up for new doors and straight away looking at doing the overhead cupboards again -even considering altering the beds again all for half inch more room :DWILL KEEP IT ALL UPDATED as and when I do it :)
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Update went away for the weekend and gave both heating/hot water a good test along with Fridge/freezer on gas all weekend (y)Came home Sunday afternoon and done very little on van all week but I have put in a odd hour oe two here and there- Removed all the white doors and remade upper cupboard fronts ready/waiting for the new doors to be edged --Made up the drawers again ready for the fronts -Redone the w/top edging strip that has come undone hopefully with a stronger impact adhesive than the last one -finised the sparkle boarding in the loo/shower so only left with a bit at the top and sealing all around so that it's all w/proof once the door is on :LOL:
terry

Attachments

• P1030515.JPG
    P1030515.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 226
  • P1030516.JPG
    P1030516.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 223
  • P1030517.JPG
    P1030517.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 220
  • P1030518.JPG
    P1030518.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 224
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Still got the white and yes after doing them sq cnrs I would round them off - knock in edging and sq cnrs are simply not good -Thought I may be able to make them OK but once made they look good then next day they have shrunk/moved and look crap =another lesson learned -round cnrs ;):LOL:

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Terry did you say your changing back to wood from the white?
I cant say the white does it for me
pete

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pete yes now doing the doors in wood to match carcases -after Johns Thretford meet where almost everyone said wood not white,Then Dave (Snowbird ) came and said what about when you come to sell it ?:) I made them last Thursday and took them to a mates Friday for him to give to his mate and get them edge bound for me (y)so no idea when they will return but if it's not soon I will either get them back or make another set and use the knock in edging :DHoping this weekend will see it 90% finished with just the doors to hang and a couple of bits to finish -that's if I don't change my mind on things again :LOL::D
Another lesson learned stick to what I know works and try new things out on a bench rather than in the van only for me to change it :)
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Glad you've made your mind up Terry. But do it for you , your keeping this one remember.........
As for corners , Ralph says that's why ours is so curvy ! It's easier for the knockings!
We are doing wood overhead cupboards and wet room door. Then either brown or cream high gloss in the kitchen area. Can't decide which yet. May even end up wood !
Once Ralph's put the wood overheads doors on this weekend , we'll decide.
Looking forward to having a look at Misterton.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Glad you've made your mind up Terry. But do it for you , your keeping this one remember.........
As for corners , Ralph says that's why ours is so curvy ! It's easier for the knockings!
We are doing wood overhead cupboards and wet room door. Then either brown or cream high gloss in the kitchen area. Can't decide which yet. May even end up wood !
Once Ralph's put the wood overheads doors on this weekend , we'll decide.
Looking forward to having a look at Misterton.
:)Supposed to be Bev (y)It;s not that I mind the wood it was that I wanted to try different things-I have done -some worked while others didn't :DHence changing back to what does work /look right -I could have simply posted all the right things not showing what went wrong but where's the fun in that :)Good for anyone doing there own van they can learn from my mistakes :DYou would think that after doing all the vans we have we would get it right first time and we do mostly ;)Just wanted to try stuff out -got it wrong so do it again -:LOL: Still not sure on layout :(:rolleyes:so you never know it may be for sale :eek:But only after I got/get something for me first -Had enough of Caddy Maxi vans ;)
terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
In a few weeks time we will be starting on Pauls van -Now that should be different :DHe is into modern colours /reds blacks and stuff -more VW camper type - Says he does not want old fuddy duddy old stuff :D What he does not see is us old FDs like old FDs stuff :)His van already looks like a rotting Banana painted from front to back green one half while the other is yellow split length ways -I can fore see a respray coming ;)
terry

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Really looking forward to seeing the end result. It looks fantastic already. We were thinking a Luton van with a tail lift might be an idea....but then the cab is separated from the van.....is it possible to knock through? :)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Max was only thinking of your figure Steve :D
terry

It has taken me years of strict training to get this figure, after max eat my pie i had to have 3 kebabs a day for a whole week or would have lost the benefits of all my hard work but with perseverance i just held on.
I think Terry's beef rolls helped as well.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Really looking forward to seeing the end result. It looks fantastic already. We were thinking a Luton van with a tail lift might be an idea....but then the cab is separated from the van.....is it possible to knock through? :)
Anything is possible (y)-cutting through is just a case of having the b----- to make the first cut and knowing you can seal between the cab and back :)They make some nice Gown vans and I have seen quite a few nice looking Renault Master luton vans on the road with skirts that go right down, but as yet not dropped on any for sale
terry

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Anything is possible (y)-cutting through is just a case of having the b----- to make the first cut and knowing you can seal between the cab and back :)They make some nice Gown vans and I have seen quite a few nice looking Renault Master luton vans on the road with skirts that go right down, but as yet not dropped on any for sale
terry

Some of that went right over my head Terry! :D

Gown vans? And 'skirts' that go right down....sounds like a ball!
Please explain those two references. The rest I get!

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It has taken me years of strict training to get this figure, after max eat my pie i had to have 3 kebabs a day for a whole week or would have lost the benefits of all my hard work but with perseverance i just held on.
I think Terry's beef rolls helped as well.
Have you ever seen terry make a sandwich his kitchen skills are outstanding
The bread knife is truly original

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Terry, for kitting out something like a tail lift Luton what would be an ball park figure on top of the van price? Just roughly. I know it would depend on quality of materials used, so just a figure to give us an idea? :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
terry
Gown vans= vans that are constructed to carry ball gowns/dresses on hanging rails.
skirts that go right down = the infill side bodywork panels on the outside between wheels & normally have full front rear matcjing bumpers-
You used to get some excellent 'laundry ' vans that picked up washing from hotels/b&b's etc. I converted one in '84. Don't think you get them much these days ?

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, for kitting out something like a tail lift Luton what would be an ball park figure on top of the van price? Just roughly. I know it would depend on quality of materials used, so just a figure to give us an idea? :)
will PM you early next week

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Saturdays update -we started to get more bits done that we left such a sealing the loo shower and basically bits you don't really see much difference in pics -But did get a surprise when Billy /Julie's hubby brought me the passenger seat over making me promise to cover it before we do any work in the van ;):DJust thought I would post the pics before I jump in the bath and shoot over to Goole for a few hours
terry

Attachments

• P1030519.JPG
    P1030519.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 167

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Those white doors looked like you had chopped up an old house internal door. Am glad you changed em. Now that upholstery I do like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back