Terrible Tomtom (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I would rather just have a bloody machine that works. I am in a camper with limited Internet at the best of times. I don't need work arounds I need a working product! I could use my phone and Google maps if I had Internet!!!! Google navigation software is excellent. But that would use data and probably overheat the phone. I have spent hours trying to solve this over many days. I would have if it were possible!
I need a working sat nav!

the amount of time (hours you say) and data you have used posting could have been used to look up a dozen GPS co-ords. on Google maps.. pop them into TT address book and off you go..

anyways.. sorry my info wasn't useful..

OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
the amount of time (hours you say) and data you have used posting could have been used to look up a dozen GPS co-ords. on Google maps.. pop them into TT address book and off you go..

anyways.. sorry my info wasn't useful..

And I am sorry if I am too grumpy. If I had a list of destinations I could do this. But we are touring, never know where we need to go until we need to go there! we have no itinerary. Hotels, camp sites etc just don't give enough info for the crappy tomtom! Tim and time again it has let us down. Sick of it!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all i know is i have driven trucks all over europe . africa and asia . never had a sat nav . do have lots of maps . far better using a map.
you need a good cepsa mapamax map book of spain and portugal.
still manage without a sat nav .
mind i did have a sad nav ... she couldnt hold the map the right way up.
but we managed ,she had a twat nav ,,, me . ha ha
smile you will laugh about your travels soon .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I take it you cannot upload POIs into a Galaxy Tab 3 with copilot? If not, then any advantage over a dedicated Satnav is surely compromised.

I have put quite a few POI'S onto Copilot on my Android phone and Iphone, both work fine.

Starburst2

Free Member
Jun 5, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1994
Street level postcodes are available for UK and Netherlands, other countries postcodes do not always go to street level but cover a much wider area which is pretty useless even if you have them. A much better bet is to use Latitude & Longitude coordinates which are usually given in most campsite and aire guides. Personally I have used Tom Tom for the last ten years since it was a download to a PDA. I had a One XL which was excellent until it gave up the ghost. I now have a refurbished 750, refurbished because new tom tom units do not have the facility for proper itiniary planning which had been an excellent feature since Navigator 2 on a Pda. I bought a new Tom having been told that it had Itiniary planning,( useful to plan a route you want to go on, instead of where tom tom wants to take you ), it did not just 4 via's. Competely useless returned it for a refund. Now concerned what unit I buy when my 750 gives up. Any suggestions welcome.
Doug

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yesterday we drove from home to the Lake District 200 odd miles with a Tomtom 1005 and Copilot on a Lexus side by side, the Tomtom won hands down. The 1005 never missed a lane change on the M6 ware as the Co-pilot missed most of um.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm on my 3rd Tom-Tom, my wife still uses my 1st and my 2nd was purchased by a fellow funster.

My current one is the camper edition and I can't fault it; speak as you find, maybe you are doing something wrong!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I now have a refurbished 750, refurbished because new tom tom units do not have the facility for proper itiniary planning which had been an excellent feature since Navigator 2 on a Pda. I bought a new Tom having been told that it had Itiniary planning,( useful to plan a route you want to go on, instead of where tom tom wants to take you ), it did not just 4 via's. Competely useless returned it for a refund. Now concerned what unit I buy when my 750 gives up. Any suggestions welcome.
Doug

This question was asked on the Halfords site and the answer was given here on the TT support pages.

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...kw/how do i create a route with several stops

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
On the recommendation of a few fellow funsters, I use the CO-PILOT EUROPE app. (It has a RV setting)on my Galaxy Tab 3. Not been abroad yet, but around the lanes of Gower & Pembroke it works a treat. So far it's been spot on, not a tight lane to date.
Viv
ps before anyone mentions the hole in my roof, the hole came before the co-pilot(y)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I'm going to investigate downloading the Camper and Caravan software to install on my Start 25.
Hi, i will be intrested to know how you get ot with this.
In response to the thread, i have used tomtom one now past it on to one of my kids, was not an easy thing to update but got done and full post code. next to no help from service dept.
Now how a tomtom camping & caravan very good but you need to know what map to use. When in car use the uk map and van the camper map. Expensive to keeep updated but works very well

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Starburst2

I have got one of the new Tomtom's the TT5000 and it does not recognise the full Post Codes in Portugal. Only the first 4 digits.

Regarding it being a replacement for your 750 I would point out it is a totally different animal to the previous Models and works in a totally different way.

It has a different interface, for example you do not have to say which country the place is in neither can you ask for a specific type of POI near a city and you cannot install your own POI files. You can set up a list of about 97 places which you can save like the old Favourites. In fact you can transfer any old favourite file to it from older units.

You can however create a tour with a number of waypoints, i've done 10, you want to visit and save it as a route in a list with all the other routes you have planned. You can load the route and change the order you visit the various waypoints and resave the route. You can start the TT and when you have loaded a saved route it will ask you if you want to drive to the start if you are not their.

It is hoped they will add amongst other things the facility to load your own POI files but they are not the quickest kid on the block. In the meantime it does not get the best reviews largely because people have not research well enough and assume it would do everything the old models did plus more. I have had no problems with it and it does everything I expected it to and quicker than the others I have had however we are in France in a couple of days so that will test it or me. I have the route already sorted. No doubt I will change it sooner rather than later during the tour.

Regarding using a smartphone and the likes of Copilot I have no doubt it will work but I am reluctant to use it the main GPS as well as a phone etc. I think I prefer to use a dedicated unit with the phone as a backup if necessary. I can also use it for getting more infomation whilst the GPS is in use.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Scotjimland

Whilst the question is answered on the Halfords site on how to do an itinery route it does not point out that you can only put in 4 via's between the Start and Finish as Starburst2 said.

The latest Go units, eg Tomtom 5000, allow more than 4 but they are a very different unit to work than previous Tomtoms and are not capable of doing some actions the previous ones can, ie POI's near a city or add your own POI files. They have added more features since first launched but they have a way to go yet.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi wizzer59

Note your suggestion but do full 7 digit post codes for Portugal work on a Garmin.

That is what oddsocks is looking for. Would not want to suggest something he should buy and then find it will not work on it.

I ask as I don't think anyone has said they work on a Garmin.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Download TomTom from I-Tunes for about £60 and put it on your I-Pad.. Also, if you download Campercontact for about £4 you can then put that on the I-Pad as well and they work together seamlessly... Good luck.. Mitch.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A map can be very good and are very reliable. Used one for sixty years.(not the same one)...BUSBY:D:D:D

I have tried LOADS of maps, and no matter how or where I write post codes in or on them they still do not find the darned place !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a single Mio many moons ago which went daft 3 days before we returned home, and in order to get it reset we had to get a code from Co-Pilot by ringing them in the UK, not ideal! So instead we had to navigate our way into and out of Paris (and he wonderful ring road system) from a map ... NOT to be recommended!

So now we have TWO Tom Toms, with matched mapping, POIs etc, which we take away with us, and use one as the main unit and the other as a back-up simply because we don't like to be without the ability to use it! It was a good job too earlier this year when we were in Germany as the mapping on one cr@pped out just after we'd gone away and 'managing' for 5 weeks without one would have been a nightmare! As we got ours second hand (well factory refurbished) together for less than the cost of one new unit we're quite happy.

We were recently in the West of Scotland and came back down onto the North East coast to Berwick upon Tweed and then down the coast and home and I can quite honestly say that getting round Newcastle etc was a breeze, but without it we'd certainly have struggled as the roads are NOT that easy to follow on the map and there are loads of turnings off the motorways etc which could easily be missed.

I like a map, and follow our route on it to keep a check on where we are every now and then (I use a highlighter pen to draw the route and also put on where we've seen suitable night stops, parking etc) but there's no way I would go back to JUST having a map, IMV it is just too busy on the roads to realistically use just a map to get around and would make it much more stressful too, with a sat nav when in busy traffic both of us can watch out for the usual 'idiots' travelling along and avoid them!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
My TomTom is driving me up the wall at the moment lol - just randomly says go right at the next roundabout or take the second left when we are on a motorway, its latest blunder is telling me to turn when there is no turning there and the map shows there is no turning, its as though the voice and the mapping are not in sync - Thank god i got one of them 7" chinese sat navs(y)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
After the TT' started telling me to constantly telling me to cross the median and drive the wrong up motorways I bought a Garmin, never put a foot wrong until it us down a single lane, very pot holed road at night with no way to turn around, not fun reversing a small bus for several miles in the dark.

Bought a "cheap Chinese pad" with truck maps, set up both on the dash of my car, the truck sat nav worked faultlessly over several weeks, then took Harriet out for some test runs with the cc pad and again worked faultlessly.

We used the pad on a two week trip around Belgium, Holland and France, worked great so we now take that whenever in Harriet, and have the software backed up on to a 20 quid 3" Chinese PDA as a back up.

Also carry maps of Europe as a means of plotting distance, etc I prefer a visual guide rather scrolling round a sat nav map

Hymie.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have been trying Navfree app downloaded from appstore does not need data connection just GPS France Spain Portugal loads of countries for free take your sim out and it still works .
You do need a good WiFi connection in the first instance to d/l .works OK for me (y):cheers:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I am binning it.

Really angry about this. Spent no small sum of money on a new map and memory card so that I could have the whole of Europe on my old Tomtom One.

In Portugal, wherre we are thinking of settling, post codes are of the format xxxx-xxx but the darn device will only permit me to enter the first 4 digits. Totally useless. I have spent hours looking online and on the Tomtom web site and all the usual techie forums which I use. No solution available as far as I can tell.

We have started to use Google maps navigation on my smarthphone. Not ideal, but better.

I will never purchase, or recommend a Tomtom to anyone ever again. Load of crap!

Think I might buy a small tablet computer and install a navigation software. Any advice or recommendations anyone?

PS - I could not find the accessories forum when I clicked on the community tab. If this is in the wrong place please move it. Don't know where that went?

Postcodes are of no use whatsoever for navigating in Europe EXCEPT for the UK & Netherlands, and even there they aren't foolproof. In France or other countrys, they cover too wide an area. Mind you, in my experience road names aren't much better, one place I go to round the back of Orly airport, the road outside is called a different name by Air France (the tenant), TomTom, Google and Michelin. Mind you it is in France!

Malcolm

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
i drive professionally for a living all over europe (far larger than most m/h) and swear by my TT. i have d/l narrow roads and low bridges for work use and bordatlas 2014 and aires du CC for pleasure.
at the end of the day it's a tool.............bad workmen etc;)

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Agree sadlonelygit.

We had some friends who had a TT and followed us from Santander to Moncofa and said his unit said he was in fields most of the way. Ours didn't. I loaded a new map on his and he was back using roads again like he had been when he first got it.

As you say a tool. Also some just like with cameras swear by particular makes. They are all much tbe same just learn how to use the one you have got and be prepared to not follow it blindly.

The one I have a TT has even told me within 250m when the coned off outside lane where no one is working ends.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back