Terrible dealer! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Having spent 55k + on a motorhome you would expect better service from our local main dealer.

just over a year ago I had a minor problem with the van, although small it took them some three months to sort out.

last September the habitation door lock broke and we had to use the cab doors to get in and out ,not a big problem. After investigation I found that a small spring had broke. Took photos of the spring and where it was situated in the lock. Sent this off to our main dealer, in mid September. Rang them to make sure they had received the photos “yes ok but we do not have the part number and would have to contact Germany”. Contacted them in November, December and in January. Service department “ can’t find any trace of your broken spring but we can’t get it you will have to buy a complete lock £££££’s.
Wrote twice to the MD and have had no replies. As far as my main dealer is concerned I a, still waiting for a price and when they can deliver

Contact a major dealer in the midlands to ask if they could help, “send us a photo etc and we think we could help”. Sent photos on Monday, Wednesday new spring arrives at a cost of £1.35 YES £1.35.

These firms are quick enough to take your money and then couldn’t be bothered to get a little spring they would rather make more money selling you a new item service!!

rant over

Colyboy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Highbridge Caravans, Highbridge , Somerset. Hymer dealers. Have no problems with Highbridge in Devon.

colyboy

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Sounds like you are having a problem with Highbridge in Somerset yes?

Strange that as we could not fault them at all with our purchase?
We spent similar money on our truck and to be honest...cannot fault them!
We have had a few hiccups and stuff has failed to work..being second hand it was to be expected to be honest.
Yet they have rectified our problems with out hesitation and gone that further step by making sure we were ok at all times. Just seems odd also that you state a failure with a spring ? Surely if that was the case ....would they not have sorted it out with a complete replacement rather than parts?
We had our passenger door lock jam. Basically ...you could not get in! Spoke to them about it and they organised a stop over for us .They took us in and kept us on hook up over night to remove it next day and replace it with a new one from a "donor" truck on the yard whilst it too was waiting for repairs albeit a second hand trade in /part exchange truck.
Personally ...Simon and the crew down there went above and beyond for us so we could not fault them at all...it just seems a little strange that they could not help you under your warranty conditions as you would expect ? Just seems a little odd?
Something missing in the story ? Just a thought...

kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
last September the habitation door lock broke and we had to use the cab doors to get in and out ,not a big problem. After investigation I found that a small spring had broke.
Colyboy

I remember your post about the door lock very well colyboy.

I've underlined the part of your post that I find a bit cheeky. ?

It would be nice if you acknowledged the fact that Funsters found the broken spring for you in the pictures you posted on the thread linked above.

Well done though for finding a replacement spring at last! I hope you bought 2 so that you have a spare........... it's bound to break again. ?

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
I have nothing but praise for Highbridge Somerset , Mathew( I believe owners son ) was a great guy
I live over 200 miles away, used van, warranty faults dealt with nearer home , and not 1 penny passed over by me

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I think the main problems with retailers not only MH dealers, is that they are very bad at keeping in touch and keeping customers up to date with what is happening .

When I was employed as a agent selling to the camping/retail trade. I was told if you can’t supply an item/service you tell the customer sorry but NO we cannot. To say NO is one of the hardest things say in that trade because you have probably lost a sale. BUT you have a customer who knows what is happening and will be a happy customer and will come back to you again.

Colyboy

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Vote for the good guys - Hayes , no matter how many times this idiot has called them they always respond and have never , ever called me a dweeb (even though I have been) , just wish they were more local so I could bother them in person ;-)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If You find a broken door lock return spring there is normally enough coils on the spring to make another 'hook' on the broken spring using a pair of long nose pliers. The door lock can still be used while a new part is ordered.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Highbridge are a mixed bag. I posted a review based on my new purchase, their cock-ups with ordering the wrong Fiamma awning, so-so handover, extra round trips to their site, and faulty after-sales service. You sometimes have to be persistent to get things done to your reasonable satisfaction. Overall, Highbridge could have provided a much better customer experience just by getting things right first time with good attention to detail.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think the main problems with retailers not only MH dealers, is that they are very bad at keeping in touch and keeping customers up to date with what is happening .

When I was employed as a agent selling to the camping/retail trade. I was told if you can’t supply an item/service you tell the customer sorry but NO we cannot. To say NO is one of the hardest things say in that trade because you have probably lost a sale. BUT you have a customer who knows what is happening and will be a happy customer and will come back to you again.

Colyboy
LOL I have told you "No" four times on your various threads when you keep asking "Can I drop a Lithium battery straight in as a direct swap":ROFLMAO:

Are you sure that Highbridge didn't say "No" when you asked? ;) As according to Vic. Parsons. posts you forgot that Funsters found the spring that you needed(y)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
I have recently purchased a brand new Autotrail from Brownhills and the salesman told me to write down a list of all the faults to be fixed , so I said that don't install much confidence in the product, he just laughed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have recently purchased a brand new Autotrail from Brownhills and the salesman told me to write down a list of all the faults to be fixed , so I said that don't install much confidence in the product, he just laughed
Playing Devils Advocate

If he said "Bert, his Girlfriend her two kids have been away in your brand new motorhome, Poo'd and pee'd in the toilets, bonked in the beds, showered in the cubicle, cooked several meals, BBQ'd under the awning, and driven a few hundred miles around France, and the workshop has fixed any snagging issues that they have found, so your good to go (y) "

You probably wouldn't be very happy, but, some of those things need doing to find any problems

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
They ask you to do that because it saves them the job of inspecting and they hope you might miss some faults.
Some boat companies adopt that policy.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

You should have told him you expect him/they to have made that list before you part with money.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Having spent 55k + on a motorhome you would expect better service from our local main dealer.

just over a year ago I had a minor problem with the van, although small it took them some three months to sort out.

last September the habitation door lock broke and we had to use the cab doors to get in and out ,not a big problem. After investigation I found that a small spring had broke. Took photos of the spring and where it was situated in the lock. Sent this off to our main dealer, in mid September. Rang them to make sure they had received the photos “yes ok but we do not have the part number and would have to contact Germany”. Contacted them in November, December and in January. Service department “ can’t find any trace of your broken spring but we can’t get it you will have to buy a complete lock £££££’s.
Wrote twice to the MD and have had no replies. As far as my main dealer is concerned I a, still waiting for a price and when they can deliver

Contact a major dealer in the midlands to ask if they could help, “send us a photo etc and we think we could help”. Sent photos on Monday, Wednesday new spring arrives at a cost of £1.35 YES £1.35.

These firms are quick enough to take your money and then couldn’t be bothered to get a little spring they would rather make more money selling you a new item service!!

rant over

Colyboy
That reminds me.
Did l say that l wouldn't buy anything from CAMPBELLS OF PRESTON :whistle2: :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back