Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
could have paid my mortgage off today if hadn't brought my motorhome
emma will be leaving home next year after finishing uni
could sell my motorhome and pay mortgage off and have some money in the bank and then go on cheap deal holidays just me and di out side of school holidays
by the time i pay my storage fees mot tax insurence breakdown cover habitation service and repair bills could pay for a few weeks away to distant shores with no mortgage either
very tempting what with judder problems (now resolved) service companies leaving engine oil covers off 4th gear problems and other problems and maintanece costs at this moment in time it is a very tempting thing to do

poll what would you do

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I can see the attraction. My sister recently lost her static in Wales, due to flooding, and has calculated that they can have some great weekends and holidays for the cost of going up and down to the static. However, since we are just having our upholstery re-upholstered, I am committed for the near future. ::bigsmile: One trouble for us is that we can't carry heavy suitcases now and it is so much easier to just take everything straight from the house and into the van. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
would love to but we both have work commitments and need money to live only 51 and can't retire yet so not so easy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
would love to but we both have work commitments and need money to live only 51 and can't retire yet so not so easy

Sell the Motorhome - but only when the interest rates go up.

Mortgages are cheap as chips at the moment:thumb:

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months

idea then sell the motorhome pay off mortgage and then use the remaining money to get a cheap mortgage on a property and then rent out to students etc making money rather than losing it on depreciation :thumb:

for sale one motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
could have paid my mortgage off today if hadn't brought my motorhome
emma will be leaving home next year after finishing uni
could sell my motorhome and pay mortgage off and have some money in the bank and then go on cheap deal holidays just me and di out side of school holidays
by the time i pay my storage fees mot tax insurence breakdown cover habitation service and repair bills could pay for a few weeks away to distant shores with no mortgage either
very tempting what with judder problems (now resolved) service companies leaving engine oil covers off 4th gear problems and other problems and maintanece costs at this moment in time it is a very tempting thing to do

poll what would you do
Sell, keep the mortgage and get yourself a VW, No storage cost very cheap to run and maintain, get rid of the car as the VW will perform every task you use your car for. Yet you will still have a high speed luxury mode of transport that you can use to have dinner on whichever mountain top you fancy. I did it when my kids flew the nest and never looked back.:hardhat:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

And just where are mortgages cheap as chips at the moment???

My daughter is easily earning enough money to pay a mortgage but she can't get one do to the heavy deposit required...

Please don't make things out to be easier than they really are....it's awfull for new couples nowadays...thanks to the greed of the bankers etc...

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
thanks for that but brought a touran from vw they changed the cambelt and three weeks later the pulley system collapsed as they had tightend one of the bolts too much and it snapped leaving only one to hold it on until it collapsed had to get local garage to drill it out and fix it had to argue for three years with them to get the abs unit fixed only done after don't get done get dom program sorted it out for vw customers they tried to get away with not fixing a manufacturing fault which would have cost 1400 pounds and they still wouldn't fix my door that dropped due to the spot welds rusting and my neighbour and myself had to fix a second hand one on but they said it was caused by the wind (oh come on )and only a 54 reg so vw a no go on customer service and maintenance never buy one again for what the car cost me but thanks for your reply i know you were only trying to help:thumb:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

My daughter is easily earning enough money to pay a mortgage but she can't get one do to the heavy deposit required...

Please don't make things out to be easier than they really are....it's awfull for new couples nowadays...thanks to the greed of the bankers etc...

I think Treacle meant that they are cheap as chips if you already have one , interest rate wise. Not if you were starting out.
I may be wrong.
Id do the same as him too. Depending if there were any penalties involved in doing so.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
thanks for that but brought a touran from vw they changed the cambelt and three weeks later the pulley system collapsed as they had tightend one of the bolts too much and it snapped leaving only one to hold it on until it collapsed had to get local garage to drill it out and fix it had to argue for three years with them to get the abs unit fixed only done after don't get done get dom program sorted it out for vw customers they tried to get away with not fixing a manufacturing fault which would have cost 1400 pounds and they still wouldn't fix my door that dropped due to the spot welds rusting and my neighbour and myself had to fix a second hand one on but they said it was caused by the wind (oh come on )and only a 54 reg so vw a no go on customer service and maintenance never buy one again for what the car cost me but thanks for your reply i know you were only trying to help:thumb:
I can only speak as I find, now on my third without a hitch. There are other similar campers not VW but the concept of small go anywhere camping gives a whole new approach to camping that suits some.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
All down to retirement planning. You don't want to retire with a mortgage otherwise you won't be able to afford anything. Motorhomes are really only worthwhile if you can afford the time to use them a reasonable amount so you need to be retired. We are just returning from France/Spain where we have been a month. Have to go home for a few weeks then hopefully off again, depending on whether I get called for my op (ablation). While at home we will get new awning fitted as ours is beyond repair and reupholstered. :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

The OP has an existing mortgage. Interest rates are very low. I am paying 1.99% over Base. That's cheap as chips.

I appreciate it is not easy to get a mortgage at the moment but the thread wasn't about that

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
The OP has an existing mortgage. Interest rates are very low. I am paying 1.99% over Base. That's cheap as chips.

I appreciate it is not easy to get a mortgage at the moment but the thread wasn't about that

Wow your getting ripped off :ROFLMAO:

0.5 % over the boe base rate, and 3 years to go:Eeek:

Paul don't sell you will regret it... You should have more time on your own now daughter leaves home :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wow your getting ripped off :ROFLMAO:

0.5 % over the boe base rate, and 3 years to go:Eeek:

Paul don't sell you will regret it... You should have more time on your own now daughter leaves home :thumb:

Maybe but that's my permanent rate with no penalty for early repayment from the start.:thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
its all right to sell but are all the full timers retired or do they have to work as well? we have looked at it but would need a small income as well. cheers colyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to retire 'early', you have to plan for it - we had been planning and saving specifically for this purpose for nearly 10 years to be able to do it - hubby was 52 when he retired 2.5 yrs ago, I retired last Christmas at 48.

FWIW - for mortgages, don't pay them off if you have other debts/loans, pay them off first if you have spare cash as they are likely to be at a higher interest rate than your mortgage, then pay off your mortgage with the remaining cash rather than putting it into a savings account of some sort which will normally give a lot less interest that you are paying out for your mortgage payment.

Our mortgage is a tracker at 0.74% above base and we've got at least 10 years at this 'rate' left to go!!! :thumb: Also, we have tenants in a property we bought with the mortgage and we are currently getting over £300 a month clear 'profit' on the rent (although it wasn't always like that of course!).:RollEyes: Oh, and no early repayment/overpayment penalties at all!

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now

Ok...sorry...misread....:Blush:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do what we did 4 years ago, we sold the house and downsized. We didn't have a big mortgage just wanted to release the capital to buy a couple of rental properties so we moved from a nice modern house we had built for us in 1999 and now live in a small 2 bed cottage, at first it was hard to cope going from 3 bathrooms to 1 when you have a 14 year old girl in the house:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Have to say best thing we ever done and now have 3 rental properties all paid for from our house sale and looking to ad our 4th this summer with a small mortgage if required.

Our daughter is hoping to go to Uni in 3 years time in Glasgow so actually looking to buy a flat up there for her and rent it until she needs it, when she needs it the rent she can get from sharing with a couple of friends will pay for it hopefully. Would really like a new or newer mh but thought it better wait until Sophie is away and not coming on hols with us then we can buy van the suits us rather then one that suits family.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Woodgnome - I learned a long time ago there is no financial sense in owning a motorhome - then there are lots of other things that I could do that wouldn't make financial sense either, but what a boring, lack lustre life we would lead if we only did what made financial sense.
If the financial cost of running your motorhome outweighs the joy you both get then its a no brainer - sell the motorhome and be happy.
If the joy you both get from your motorhome outweighs the cost then keep it and be happy.

Sorry I can only give advice the choice must finally be yours. Happy deliberations.

Norman

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
the main problem I forsee is "selling" I see lots advetised, but not selling, unless of course they are cheap as chips.....

its a buyers market and unless you bought cheap in the first place I think the "drop" would be upsetting :cry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We have had our fill of airplane hols /airports.Had above 20 yrs 3/4 times a yr and now we enjoy the van :thumb:Hols start as we drive off the drive ::bigsmile:Never in a rush to get from A to B or on much of a fixed timetable -We do what we want when we want and can eat drink or smoke as we please (I don't smoke)but you get the drift :winky:The cost of running the van less fuel is under £1000 per yr so that would only buy a very cheap hol for 2 :Eeek: plus we used to spend above £200 without getting out of the airport :Eeek::Eeek: goes a long way on fuel :winky:
At the same time being mortgage / loan free is a big bonus/nice feeling :thumb:::bigsmile: only you can decide :Smile:
terry

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Pay the loan off later , have some fun NOW , the truck may hit-- (hopefully not) tomorrow :Eeek:
Sit in a paid off house --stamp collecting , why?:cry:
Mortgauges are cheap now i belive.
Try and go back after selling up and get a loan for a MH afterwards --you will pay a high %

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back