Temporary insurance A-class (1 Viewer)

lakky

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Is it possible to get temporary insurance for A-class value £65k+?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you say temporary, how long is temporary? and I suppose the nosey part of me would ask why?

Are we talking UK registered van insured in the UK.

Martin

OP
OP
L

lakky

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Picking up new machine in Midlands and want to drive it down to Taunton for alarm+ tracker. As usual insurers want tracker fitted before driving it away, but are thinking about it. I am looking for Plan B in case they say no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Try Safeguard or Scenic. They don't require a tracker fitting on a £65,000 van.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
when I have had this situation, the insurance co. gave me a couple of weeks to get it fitted. Alternatively try NFU, they don't specify alarm (I think)

OP
OP
L

lakky

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Sorry, is costing more than that, the max cover I have seen on temp cover websites was £65K which is why I was looking for any further info.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
same with NFU they insured mine of similar value for less than safeguard and dont require the alarm or tracker but will discount if you have them

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
From your post, you appear to be driving from the dealer to the fitter, lie to the insurance, don’t leave the van, that way in the unlikely event of it being stolen, you’ll not mi d as you’ll be stolen with it and off on a new adventure!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
never ever lie to an insurance company unless you want to become uninsureable because you are blacklisted

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Why do you want temporary insurance? Can't you just shop around and take it out with the company which makes you the best offer? You can always cancel during the cooling off period, if you want to revert to your existing insurer after the alarm and tracker have been fitted.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
From your post, you appear to be driving from the dealer to the fitter, lie to the insurance, don’t leave the van, that way in the unlikely event of it being stolen, you’ll not mi d as you’ll be stolen with it and off on a new adventure!
Exactly. The insurance would be valid but not cover you for theft. So if you’re not leaving the van unattended then all should be well.

We actually had 7 days when we weren’t insured for theft between picking MH up and getting Growler fitted, but we were on sites for this period and had the tracker on already so were reasonably comfortable with it.

Re the tracker, is this being dealer fitted or are you having one of the VanBitz solutions? I only ask as our insurer wanted a Cat 5 tracker and the Eddies offerings weren’t accepted by the insurers so we had the dealer fit a system.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I'm pretty sure Comfort allowed us short period of time (can't remember exactly how long) to get the Tracker fitted after we insured with them and the van was way, way over £65K. Why not call them and see what they say then you can go back to your original insurers with the arguement that it must be possible, or alternatively insure with Comfort, they're very good.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Comfort will cover you to travel to the pre booked appointment.

I've had a few discussions with them over the last few days regarding my new van. (value 70k but a full timing policy)

Perversely, even though it has an all singing all dancing alarm fitted ( very similar to a strikeback, and the same make, Meta) because it was fitted in France it isnt specifically thatcham approved, therefore I have no choice but to have another one fitted!

They did say a tracker would negate the need for a new alarm, but a cat 5 or 6 tracker - even a cheap one - is around £300 plus a yearly sub of over a hundred quid, so I'll be visiting @eddievanbitz at Vanbitz as soon as my registration is sorted for a strikeback, works out cheaper in the long run!

They required one or the other, not both.

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
However, if you can get a policy without the requirements, there is a 14 day cooling off period, so you could get insurance, pay for it, then cancel it, and only pay for time on cover. That's what I did to import mine last week, net cost to me for a fortnight was £60! ( that's was through AIB).

OP
OP
L

lakky

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Good news, my insurers have told me that we are covered for the journey to Taunton.
Many thanks for all the advice and information.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm pretty sure Comfort allowed us short period of time (can't remember exactly how long) to get the Tracker fitted after we insured with them and the van was way, way over £65K. Why not call them and see what they say then you can go back to your original insurers with the arguement that it must be possible, or alternatively insure with Comfort, they're very good.
In our case comfort told us that we had 28 days to get things fitted..... the insurance fully covered the van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back