Temporary Holiday Sites (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
In the C&CC magazine, I noticed that they do temporary holiday sites throughout the year often during school holidays and at reasonable prices. Looks worth considering.
One that I am interested in is at Bradford on Avon, which is in walking distance to the town and seems to be much better placed to see the town than any site or CL. Has anyone stayed on this site? It would be a grass pitch on a field which could still a bit risky as we found out a few days ago.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Not used that one but some are very well placed like the York rugby and cricket club site.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Take some bread crates and all will be fine:D:D:D:D
Seriously though, they seem to run a lot of temporary events there during the year (Beehive Field Camping Ground) so cannot be too bad. Near to the canal and lots of good walking or cycling. Easy cycle to Avoncliff Aquaduct.
It says public transport outside gate and so easy to get to a Bath and Trowbridge too. Looks like a good spot. Next door to Sally Narrowboats who have day hire and I am taking one out on April 24th.
Bradford on Avon a nice place with independent shops, a lovely tythe barn and the river too of course. Too far from river to worry about flooding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Again, unfortunately no personal experience of that one, but I think C&CC THS are generally excellent. Friendly, relaxed, easygoing etc. Mostly turn up and leave when you want. Tend to be good value, especially during summer peak season when commercial sites (and club sites) can be very expensive.

If I were you, I'd give it a try in any case.

Enjoy! :D

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We haven't stopped at that particular THS but have stopped at dozens of others. I wouldn't worry about it being a grass field as these meets always have someone with a big 4x4 to help out.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We used to go to the Firework competition at Plymouth and stay on the CMC site,very nice it is,
in the next field was the C&cc THS? gathering. Being members of both clubs (Still) we went round and called in,it was so laid back,in the nicest possible way,i wondered if we were in the right field with the CMC. Both overlooked Plymouth Sound.
The only difference was,we had electric hook ups ,both sets of People?(Wardens/Site managers ) were very friendly,while on the CMC site, saw the warden filled a barrow full of chocks wheel it down the bank and with a bit of assistance from a couple of us,levelled up a c/van who had asked for and GOT.. a spot where a mountain goat would have had a job to stand..he was prepared to let you go down the slope with the mo/ho,,but said he had no tractor on site,but as above,some 4'by might give you a tow out if really stuck. So much for wardens from hell and naff c/vanners.
Go for it.
Tea Bag

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you intend to use one during the school holidays then ring the number given for the contact and check if it gets full. Some of the popular ones are hectic on the first morning and can get full.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for the replies, as Tea Bag has just said, tuggers are not our enemies. In the last 2 days, 2 of them have offered to give me a tow - as it happens, in the end a little man (and woman) power got the van moving (we were at the top of the slope so it was easy after that) :)

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
If you intend to use one during the school holidays then ring the number given for the contact and check if it gets full. Some of the popular ones are hectic on the first morning and can get full.
I have phoned this one and they said, no problem there's plenty of space.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not been to that one, but have beeen to others sometimes with the grandchildren, great friendly, join in as much or as little as you want.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We stayed on the THS at Beehive Field (Bradford on Avon) for a few days last year. Its just a very large field, with plenty of space for everyone. Fresh water and waste disposal facilities are provided. Its a very popular THS - I was told they had up to 120 vans there sometimes.

There is a bus stop right by the gate and the very pleasant town and Sainsburys are within walking distance. All very pleasant and only £9 a night.

Paul

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not used any THS ourselves but can see that the various clubs do get some excellent deals. There is no reason why the same sort of deals shouldn't be possible for Motorhome Fun members too! Rather than long stays at one site (suited more to caravanners than those with motorhomes) we are trying to organise four meets in Cornwall next year to form an eleven night tour but hopefully at similar low prices. Picking an off peak time & finding suitable sites any Fun member could do the same possibly negotiating a discount price then posting it on the forum to see if there is enough interest for it to work as a meet or rally :)

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
As recommended above, we did go for it. Friendly welcome, decent well placed site. Quiet, apart from some road noise, mostly filled by motorhomes (unfortunately I can't find how to add the photos at the moment). They say it is almost unheard of for anyone to require help to get off the site and it was very wet on that occasion.
Bradford on Avon is well worth a visit and some time to explore and the walk along the river and canal to Avoncliff is very nice. It is also a very nice, short rail journey to Bath.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
My 100th post! Stayed on many THSs and never been disappointed. Agree with all the advice and positive comments above.

Also worth phoning ahead or checking on website to make sure the THS you want to attend has not been cancelled at the last minute and or is still open. One at Whitby had to close early a couple of years ago because the water supply had failed .

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We have been there, some years ago, and had no problems. It is a big field and we were made very welcome.
Have just come back from a THS at Porth in Cornwall. Must have been about sixty units there many of them M H's. Have been there several times at different seasons. Always made very welcome which ever section of C&CC has run it.
We have lost count of how many THS's we have been to up and down the UK.
Some in the caravan others in the MoHo.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm thinking of joining the cc&c club for THS how do you find out where they are before becoming a member?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm thinking of joining the cc&c club for THS how do you find out where they are before becoming a member?
Beg , borrow or steal a monthly ccc magazine, and you will find them all listed in the orange and blue edged pages at the back.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks @chaser.will do. In France at the moment. Back in 2 weeks and I want to find one near Skegness as we're sailing into Hull on 24th.
Or near Crewe soon after to visit daughter.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you can't find a THS in the are you want to visit, there are C&CC section rallies which any member can book on.
Thanks Janine so it's worth Joining then?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0629.JPG
Thanks @chaser.will do. In France at the moment. Back in 2 weeks and I want to find one near Skegness as we're sailing into Hull on 24th.
Here you go

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks Janine so it's worth Joining then?

We've just re-joined after a couple of years' break so that we can use their cheap weekend rallies and THS's.

I used to use them most weekends when I first had the 'van and always got a warm welcome.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We've been on a THS at Royal Victoria Country Park. £10 a night with showers and toilets. Just moved on to Bamptons Farm Lymington for £9.50 a night. Just deciding were to go afterwards. I love THS always good value for money. Can't remember the last time I stayed on a site.

Bitterneparker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
vw t4 holdsworth
Exp
18 mnths
Beehive field is an excellent choice ,close to Bradford & canal,good walks both ways.Stayed there several times & never seen any problems with vans getting stuck,big field as well.
One thing that may be worth noting though is it's said that it's going to be built on in the not to distant future

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001

Yes, Trent Valley DA are running a THS at
Pinetrees Caravan Park
Croft Bank
Skegness
PE24 4RE

£13.00/night from April 14 to May 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.