Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Battery life is shortened if battery is at a higher temp. So this nice weather is shortening the life of our batteries.

The optimum operating temperature for the lead-acid battery is 25°C (77°F). As a guideline, every 8°C (15°F) rise in temperature will cut the battery life in half.
Temperature effects on sealed lead acid batteries and charging ...

We have a votronic solar controller with temp sensor mounted on the leisure battery.

In this warm weather it has reduced the float voltage from 13.8 v to 13.5v
which will help to keep temp down.

See .
https://www.votronic.de/index.php/e...rograms-characteristic-lines?showall=&start=1

We rarely use mains power, .but if we did our mains charger has no compensation for high temp, so battery life will be shorter than if we just use the solar with compensation. For me answer is to disc onnect mains from charger and rely on solar in these temps.

Any thoughts?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep, don't worry about it. You don't have much choice in a Motorhome to where the batteries are fitted and not easy to move them, anyway how long in life do they spend over 25° not that much. My batteries are next to the heater am I worried, no, can't do anything about it so why worry. You don't hear of batteries falling over all the time in hot countries like Spain & Italy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think for the short time we get hot weather in this country you aren't likely to notice the difference?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
not bothered either..

thinking on it.. vehicle starter batteries are generally under the bonnet near the engine.. how do they cope ?

the data sheet you linked to>

NOTICE: This report was prepared as an account of work sponsored by an agency of the United States Government.

nuff said ;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So in desert countries (Arab states etc) where the temperatures are regularly in the mid 30s, and far hotter under the bonnet, they buy new car/van/truck/bus batteries every 18 months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back