Temp gauge (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Took the motorhome out today noticed my temp gauge stayed at zero . Could this be a thermostat or sender unit , ime in a 1994 fiat hyma , thanks in advance

crimbo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"I`m a newbie"
Possibly the sender unit but I doubt its the thermostat as you would still get a reading albeit a little lower than usual. Have you checked all relevant fuses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Possibly the sender unit but I doubt its the thermostat as you would still get a reading albeit a little lower than usual. Have you checked all relevant fuses.

Cheers will double check tomorrow , thanks for reply appreciated

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
On older cars the way to check if it was the sender unit or gauge was to disconnect the lead from the sender unit, switch on ignition and touch the lead to an earth point nearby. If the gauge starts to read or goes into the red section the gauge is ok. If no reading its the sender unit or the lead to the sender unit. If the lead is ok I would think it should give 12 volts with the ignition on. Hope this helps

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Temperature guage

On older cars the way to check if it was the sender unit or gauge was to disconnect the lead from the sender unit, switch on ignition and touch the lead to an earth point nearby. If the gauge starts to read or goes into the red section the gauge is ok. If no reading its the sender unit or the lead to the sender unit. If the lead is ok I would think it should give 12 volts with the ignition on. Hope this helps

Sorry, I think you've got that wrong - when you 'earth' the sender lead, if the guage immediately goes into the high (maximum) area, then the guage and lead are okay and the fault lies with the sender unit itself - no reading on the guage and it's either the guage or the lead that's gone duff.

In my experience it's usually the sender which goes duff, but if you can do the simple check it will eliminate one or the other. A duff thermostat would normally give at least some indication of the engine temperature - if it failed in the closed position, the engine would soon overheat and show on the guage quite quickly - if it failed in the open position, it would cause the guage to read a much lower than normal reading. A zero reading, to me, indicates the probability of the sender unit having failed.

HTH

Daedalus

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
If it's the connector in the lead or the lead how hard are they to get hold of as I don't think their a spade connector are they , thanks for everyone's replies ,

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Stupid phone hymer

Nothing to do with your prob even I will watch all the answers with great interest!

I know exactly what you mean ... mine has to deal with 2 main languages and keep mixing them up , changing the words when I think it's all settled and not for the best indeed!

BTW you got a HYMA too on your profile LOL

Amicalement,

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Can anyone point me in right direction as to where temp gauge sender unit would be on my 94 fiat ducato Hymer , can't seem to see it , thanks

Last edited:

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Can anyone point me in right direction as to where temp gauge sender unit would be on my 94 fiat ducato Hymer , can't seem to see it , thanks

Right hand side of the engine towards the top, just above the gearbox housing. There will be rubber water pipes going to it as it's also the thermostat housing. Be aware there are two sensors on the housing, one is the temperature sender and the other is part of the cooling fan(s) switching system.

The cooling fan sensor switch should (?) have the larger cross section and will probably have two connectors on it whereas the temperature sensor will only have one.

HTH

Daedalus

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Right hand side of the engine towards the top, just above the gearbox housing. There will be rubber water pipes going to it as it's also the thermostat housing. Be aware there are two sensors on the housing, one is the temperature sender and the other is part of the cooling fan(s) switching system.

The cooling fan sensor switch should (?) have the larger cross section and will probably have two connectors on it whereas the temperature sensor will only have one.

HTH

Daedalus
That's great thanks a million buddy really appreciated

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Should it be located in this opening on right side of engine block ? As I can't find anything by thermostat housing ? Thanks

OP
OP
nunny666
Apr 10, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
Can someone with fiat ducato please take a picture of where their temperature sender unit is please , this is really getting to me now , thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back