Tell me something about cameras and in particular Canon M50 (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I know naff all about cameras...

Our 16 year old Grandson and fellow young funster "Matty" is now in college doing a fim and media studies course.
He's got a little part time job and been saving.. Got his sights on a camera to do his course work and own use.
Keeps mentioning the Canon M50....

I keep looking at the price and choking... :wink::rofl:
My view is that it could be well over the top for his needs and my tight wad brain is saying maybe go for the previous model ??
Cheaper and i bet the specs difference are very small..
I have no idea on what his needs are for a camera but trying to help him avoid spending / wasting his money..

SO... Any advise or pointers..

ps. I see some adverts say camera body, guess this means it has no lens thingy on the front when you buy it..

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Get your hand in your back pocket you tight wad. :giggle:
As to your question Steve the Canon is a good make but it depends his needs.
The model in question does have interchangeable lenses so be careful as they can be more expensive than the body.

PS Off topic, do you remember Chris Charles.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You can pick up a Canon M50 Mkii at Wexphoto for £589.

Тhе kеу dіffеrеnсеѕ between the Mki and Mkii are, іmрrоvеd еуе АF (vіdео аnd ѕtіllѕ), ЕОЅ Wеbсаm Utіlіtу tо uѕе thе М50 ІІ аѕ а wеbсаm, wіrеlеѕѕ YоuТubе lіvе ѕtrеаmіng аbіlіtіеѕ, а ѕеlf-tіmеr, сlеаn НDМІ оutрut, vаrі-аnglе tоuсhѕсrееn іmрrоvеmеntѕ, аnd ѕuрроrt fоr vеrtісаl vіdео rесоrdіng.

Mirrorless cameras have been around for some time now and prove very popular, you can of course pick up some excellent S/H DSLR cameras with a very low shutter count for reasonable prices from WexPhoto and or London Camera Exchange best thing to do is visit a store and ask the experts explaning the needs of your grandson, there is a WexPhoto in Birmingham
Retail Unit 1, 100 Hagley Road. Birmingham, B16 8LT Tel. 0121 326 7636.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Difficult to comment without knowing what the main use of the camera is likely to be but I am guessing that interchangeable lenses and the mirror-less shutter are two requirements for whatever reason. Bearing in mind that the M50 has been out for a while now, it should be possible to get a refurbished one for a not totally unreasonable price. Not sure I would buy new without a lot more research into the alternatives but maybe your grandson has done that already?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
It's a cracking little camera and great value IMO.

I used to own one that I used mainly for video, and kind of regret letting it go.

Also, the lenses are relatively cheap for the quality.

I may buy another.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Take a look at mpb.com for good quality 2nd hand

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
You can pick up a Canon M50 Mkii at Wexphoto for £589.

Тhе kеу dіffеrеnсеѕ between the Mki and Mkii are, іmрrоvеd еуе АF (vіdео аnd ѕtіllѕ), ЕОЅ Wеbсаm Utіlіtу tо uѕе thе М50 ІІ аѕ а wеbсаm, wіrеlеѕѕ YоuТubе lіvе ѕtrеаmіng аbіlіtіеѕ, а ѕеlf-tіmеr, сlеаn НDМІ оutрut, vаrі-аnglе tоuсhѕсrееn іmрrоvеmеntѕ, аnd ѕuрроrt fоr vеrtісаl vіdео rесоrdіng.

Mirrorless cameras have been around for some time now and prove very popular, you can of course pick up some excellent S/H DSLR cameras with a very low shutter count for reasonable prices from WexPhoto and or London Camera Exchange best thing to do is visit a store and ask the experts explaning the needs of your grandson, there is a WexPhoto in Birmingham
Retail Unit 1, 100 Hagley Road. Birmingham, B16 8LT Tel. 0121 326 7636.

Good luck.
Get the lad to come with you as he is going to be using it. Cameras are personal things in my opinion

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Little of the above techy stuff means anything to me but (granny... eggs ...suck... teaching etc) make sure he insures it. Stuff can go 'missing' at colleges - and anywhere else come to that.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ok... Thanks on all the above input..

We are off to a local "Camera fair" this morning to gain a bit more knowledge,,
MPB noted and i will look into this but i got a 16 year old with cash on the hip and hard to convince him to go for a used model.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back