Tell me please.....why and what enticed you to buy a motorhome in the end. (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Bought a 16 year old Autotrail Scout in to work at a quiet time x2 years ago.
I intended to tidy the paintwork--colour code mirrors/bumpers ect and sell it on .

My other half said i think we and the kids should give this a test for a weekend, we went off, loved it .
We returned back and she said " you are not selling that MH "
We use it most weekends and in Europe now :thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
[HI]I think perhaps the most important quality for any prospective motorhome buyer to possess must be a sense of (or longing for) adventure. Second might be a yearning for independence.(snip)[/HI]

Insanity helps too:ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have always camped from teenage years onwards. Had a VW Dormobile, trailer tent, all sorts of tents, etc;
We love to travel and be outdoors, and when retirement loomed we said we would get a nice MH.
Then we went to the States for a wedding/holiday and decided we would rent an RV. That was that, bitten by US RVs, and being an ex HGV class one driver size and licenses was not a problem. We were going to get an RV, and spend the winter months in Spain/Morocco.
We found our RV after about 2 years searching. Wonderful!
Then family tragedy bit us on the bum, and we could not fulfil our dreams, not yet anyway.
We enjoyed the RV when we could, and have had some wonderful times in it, but changed to a US 5th wheel outfit last year, which should suit our family circumstances better. This year we should start to get our dreams back on track. Now changing the subject slightly...

We are starting to pack today as we are going off to Portugal in the morning for 2 weeks, to escape this weather in the UK. Could not take the RV this time, so back to flying this time.

Now i know ONE good reason we have an RV. Being treated like cattle at airports for hours on end, dry sandwiches and dreadful coffee costing around a tenner for 2, paying through the nose if you want to take a suitcase, cramped, uncomfortable, airplanes, screaming kids, nob heads that are drunk, pushed, shoved, and trampled on to get to the plane first, making sure everything is neatly packed into suitcases that we hope will arrive at the same destination as us, car hire, hotel which looks nice on paper, but, will it be ? If it is bad, we have got to endure it for the next 2. Pot Luck!

With a MH, RV, we know what the accommodation is like, we can hang our clothes in our wardrobes, we know who has slept in the bed, we do not have to pay for a 20kg weight limit, if there is a delay anywhere, we put our feet up and put the kettle on, or have a snooze in comfort, make a snack, cheaply and freshly, and in the peace and comfort of our own surroundings. Bliss!

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I think for us it was evolution. I've only had one summer holiday without some form of camping or other since 1975. After working our way through various ridge, bell, and dome tents we opted for a huge trailer tent when our kids were little, but it took me three hours to put the damn thing up, so we decided to try out a classic VW Kombi instead and loved it. However, although we loved the lifestyle, after 7 years we got a bit fed up with constantly changing the back bit from one use into another and back again, and it was all getting a bit cramped as the kids grew bigger. We wanted something where the beds didn't have to be made into tables, and which had a bit more space to stretch out in. I was also a bit weary of getting down on my hands and knees in every motorway service area to check how much oil was leaking from the sump.

We'd originally planned to buy a MH on retirement, but realised we had a financial window of opportunity a couple of years before the eldest went to Uni and the youngest followed, so we took the plunge early while we had the chance. Definitely one of the best decisions we ever made, not least because the £/Euro exchange rate and sale price were very favourable back then.

On the rare occasions when we use campsites, nothing pleases me more than pulling up, levelling it, putting the fridge to gas and uncorking the wine, then watching some poor sod taking three hours to put up his trailer tent, like I used to. The biggest bonus of any sort of camper van or motorhome, especially if you've got solar panels, is that you're self-contained, independent, and aren't tied to reaching a destination at a particular time. You've got your own kitchen, bed, and bog onboard so if there's a traffic jam or a ferry strike who cares? You'll get there in the end.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We sort of drifted into it.

We bought a couple of holiday retreats on the coast but felt we were tying a lot of money up on property that was vacant most of the year except at weekends.

We thought about statics but decided we would get bored. Didn't fancy towing a caravan so decided on a motorhome.

No research undertaken and we bought about the third van we looked at:Doh:

We were lucky though. Changing now to a new layout but we have nothing but good to say about our Burstner.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well ...... we had a touring caravan that we actually kept for 6 months of the year at a UK naturist club, and on the drive during th winter, so it was a bit like a nekkid CC rally at weekends, BHs etc. LOL

Holidays were either in apartments somewhere with a naturist beach or tent camping at a N campsite in France - either by car or on one of the motorbikes.

In late June 2009 we went tent camping by car for 2 weeks to a site in the Brenne. Because we were in the car we took the big dome tent and a gazebo, the gas fridge blah di blah and used the gazebo as a kitchen/diner. Home from home.

Quite a few MoHos on this site, which TBH we'd never really even given a second glance. The early evening before we left we started to strike camp, as you do. After a bit Pete said he'd go and get the car so we could start putting stuff in it, rather than having to pack it all in the morning. Bright sunshine still ...

No Way would the site owner let him bring the car down to the site, not even for a few minutes or half an hour because it was after 6pm ..... so that meant we had to put all the stuff back in, cos it looked like Steptoe's yard and you can't leave stuff on the grass overnight cos of dew. Thanks.

We arose at approx 0700 the next morning and by 0800 hrs everything more or less was back in the bags and boxes so I said, I'll take the tent inner down whilst you get the car and start a-packing. Felt a bit odd so came out and sat with me head between me knees. Went back in and started again but very nearly passed out this time, some near neighbours in a MoHo came over to see if I was OK and told us it was 40 degrees and 85% humidity according to the monitor they had in their van .........

We didn't say a lot. :cry:

We came home and started looking for a motorhome. By the end of the first week of August we were back in France in Bessie ! :thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Some years back we were presented with a choice:

Either do something different to earn a living (we were both travelling into London each day)

or

Buy a cheap motorhome and go on a big summer tour around Europe.

We looked at motorhomes in our thrifty price range but the thought giving up our jobs and travelling for several months was a massive gamble.

So we started our own company instead :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After running this for a few years we thought we'd get the motorhome anyway because our companies runs themselves (due to great staff) and we are free to get away pretty much whenever we want.

Our story could be interpreted in a few different ways. But I'd say you'll buy a motorhome when the time is right for you.

It not cheap, it's not always easy and you will benefit from a "hands-on attitude". But if the money is sitting in the bank where's fun is that?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
This post started in 2010.

I wonder if they did buy one in the end?

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
We started off camping, Kathy's car was not big enough to take all the camping gear, so we needed another car for camping. We settled on a Mazda Bongo, they come in many different styles. We first picked an unconverted tin top, as an ideal car to use for camping. We took months to decide and eventually bought a converted camper with auto free top. We kept it for 2 years and enjoyed it so much more than camping. Sometimes it is better to take your time about decisions. We have now upgraded to an Autosleeper Duetto and are still having lots of fun with it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi we started with a caravan when our son was a baby, then sold it and tried static vans and cottages but jill would spend the 1st day cleaning them as they are never clean.now only the 2 of us we got a motor home so we can travel slowly and look around plus jill will not fly. cheers ivory55

deniserobson1

Free Member
Oct 1, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2004
brave or stupid - you decide

we bought our first motorhome as a temporary home after we sold our house in England and gave up our jobs to move to Scotland. We had no house and no jobs in Scotland and thought the motorhome would be a good temporary measure.

8 years later and now on our second motorhome, beautiful places around us that we probably would never have got to without it.

Just do it!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We had a 6 berth Coleman continental tent and decided to have a two week holiday in Devon.
My manager's cousin who lives in Fareham decided to join us for a week and turned up in his motorhome.
Pfft that was it, er indoors decided we were getting too old for the tent and we needed a motorhome!!! :Eeek:

Never looked back. :thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had a camper for a couple of years when the kids were young.

Making a living took over our lives.

4 years ago wife was diagnosed with MSA - incurable, untreatable.....out of the blue ! - just before we both reached retirement age - a real bummer.

Took holidays until she was unable to fly, then I decided 18 months ago to buy the MH - against my wifes wishes.

We started touring the UK, France and travelled in it to Majorca to see friends.........now she says it is the best thing we could have done................unfortunately she is now finding it difficult even to use the MH.

I sometimes look at the threads with funsters planning trips months or years ahead...........we take one day at a time which is why the MH was so important, no planning needed, van ready to go if she feels up to it.

If you can do it - do it ! - time might be shorter than you think.................

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Now i know ONE good reason we have an RV. Being treated like cattle at airports for hours on end, dry sandwiches and dreadful coffee costing around a tenner for 2, paying through the nose if you want to take a suitcase, cramped, uncomfortable, airplanes, screaming kids, nob heads that are drunk, pushed, shoved, and trampled on to get to the plane first, making sure everything is neatly packed into suitcases that we hope will arrive at the same destination as us, car hire, hotel which looks nice on paper, but, will it be ? If it is bad, we have got to endure it for the next 2. Pot Luck!

With a MH, RV, we know what the accommodation is like, we can hang our clothes in our wardrobes, we know who has slept in the bed, we do not have to pay for a 20kg weight limit, if there is a delay anywhere, we put our feet up and put the kettle on, or have a snooze in comfort, make a snack, cheaply and freshly, and in the peace and comfort of our own surroundings. Bliss!

My sentiments entirely. The first time we drove onto a ferry I couldn't believe how simple it was and it has been the same every other time. Recently did a flight to Canary Islands and was reminded of how awful the whole business is. On top of everything at each end we have to sit as if in a strait-jacket for the duration of the flight. Not for me thanks. :thumbdown:

Wyn

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Easy we had two jack Russell type dogs
Couldn't put them in [STRIKE]prison[/STRIKE] sorry kennels

So we decided on a caravan or camper van
Didn't faced towing a trailer

Bought a campervan dogs enjoyed it
They forgot to bark when we were away

Went to Thetford Ccc site a couple of years back
When we took them out for a walk
A squirrel crossed the road and climbed a tree

Went back six months later buster stopped
At the same tree and looked up the same tree
As if he expected the squirrel to be there
Sorry had to share a memory

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We finally bought one because we were camping and my youngest decided to suddenly explode out of both ends, covering all his clothes and bedding. Despite then feeling much better, we had to abandon the holiday. Now we have an RV with a bath and a twin tub washing machine and could clean up and carry on.

We also hired a caravan the year before. Great fun, but we are inclined to touring and it was a hassle having to go back to pick up the caravan every day or two and then needing to find a campsite before they all closed for the evening. Much nicer to be able to just pull up at an aire or motorway services late at night having got a few miles behind you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back