Tell me about 12v hairdryers (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I have no use for such a thing on my follicley-challenged pate, but Sharon would really like to be able to dry her hair on this summer's hol. She has relatively short hair, but remarkably thick!

So 12v hairdryers. We're not expecting much, but are they better than nothing?

Anyone recommend any models? Will they trip my fuses/flatten my battery?

Grazie mille.

Jamie

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They won't trip your fuses, but they will flatten the battery if you don't keep the engine running.

Absolutely amazing things - I could never understand how a womans hair can take longer to dry with a hair drier, than if it had been left to dry naturally!

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
better to stick head out of window as vehicle moving and go for the windblown look at least your hair would dry faster.
They are seriously gadget stuff (the stuff you shouldnt of wasted money on) - it will eventually do what you want...........

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Welcome jmthy you have joined the pursuit of power in order to keep the lady looking lovely...

My lady now looks lovely following the installation of a 440amp battery bank, a decent 2kw inverter and a battery to battery charger,

Would of been cheaper to buy her a good wig. :Eeek:

But she now looks beautiful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Forget 12v hairdryers - useless. Go for a low wattage 240v hairdryer with an inverter instead. I use an 800w hairdryer run from a 1kw inverter. 5 mins drying uses around 6Ah. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Sorted!

Hi There,

This is a subject that most newbie motorhomers need resolving, especially when if like me, you have a wife who insists that she will NEVER consider wild camping unless you find a practical solution to this problem!

Anyway, rather than have to spend loads of time scouring the internet to find the answer. Here it is, but I will warn you in advance it isn't cheap. However, everything considered and taking into account it has other uses as well as delighting 'The Boss', I'm sure you agree it's money well spent:-

Just follow this link:thumb: http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/06/hairdryer-from-12v-in-motorhome.html

Hope you find this as useful as I did.

Steve:thumb:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi There,

This is a subject that most newbie motorhomers need resolving, especially when if like me, you have a wife who insists that she will NEVER consider wild camping unless you find a practical solution to this problem!

Anyway, rather than have to spend loads of time scouring the internet to find the answer. Here it is, but I will warn you in advance it isn't cheap. However, everything considered and taking into account it has other uses as well as delighting 'The Boss', I'm sure you agree it's money well spent:-

Just follow this link:thumb: http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/06/hairdryer-from-12v-in-motorhome.html

Hope you find this as useful as I did.

Steve:thumb:

trust me, that isn't the answer. It works for Adam because he is ultra sensible and young.

There is little difference to what myself, maz and many others do.

Can you spot the gotcha?

wait till you have a few to many and try starting the van having left it on for a couple of nights..:winky:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Adam is right about his inverter choice. We have the same Ring unit and very good it is too!

However, I am with Haggers on the installation. Do you really want to have to run your engine on a quiet site in the evening before bed time?
A good quality habitation battery is the most social solution in my opinion. Shell's just dried her hair and put the leccy kettle on with no disturbance to anyone else on the CL.

We have a half hour drive to our next stop tomorrow and Mr Sterling's amazing Alternator to Battery charger will have replenished our battery bank by the time we arrive.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
trust me, that isn't the answer. It works for Adam because he is ultra sensible and young.

There is little difference to what myself, maz and many others do.

Can you spot the gotcha? (NO)

wait till you have a few to many and try starting the van having left it on for a couple of nights..:winky:

:Eeek:Wow, just when I thought I had found the real solution to this problem, albeit expensive. It seems that I may have been too optimistic (some might say naive!). But thankfully as I am only currently in the process of sourcing components and haven't purchased anything yet, it hasn't been an expensive mistake.

Although I don't really agree with this comment haganap. As a newbie :Blush:, I am willing to bow to your considerable experience. However, would you please let us know how your system works as I don't recall having seen your post on this subject before?

Thanks for your help and hopefully you might be able to save me a few quid, as I was just about to take the plunge and purchase all the parts from 'Adam's solution':thumb:.

Steve

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
12v hair dryers

Hi,

Nothing to add to the wonderful advice given by other members, but I assume your wife doesn't look at the posts? If I said my wife has short hair but remarkably thick, I'd be in serious bother! She does have short hair as it happens, but is incredibly intelligent (just in case, that bit).

Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Steve, the DIYer in me likes the idea, but given my other thread regarding my combi heater I'm not inclined to through any more cash down the MoHo money pit just right now :winky:

Plus it would be another DIY job to add to the pile, which currently includes a SOG kit still in its box, and other maintenance and upgrades various!

What if I was to buy a 12v knowing it will be rubbish, but at least I will have shown willing. She will try it, conclude it's rubbish, and give up on the idea? :thumb: :winky:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
:Eeek:Wow, just when I thought I had found the real solution to this problem, albeit expensive. It seems that I may have been too optimistic (some might say naive!). But thankfully as I am only currently in the process of sourcing components and haven't purchased anything yet, it hasn't been an expensive mistake.

Although I don't really agree with this comment haganap. As a newbie :Blush:, I am willing to bow to your considerable experience. However, would you please let us know how your system works as I don't recall having seen your post on this subject before?

Thanks for your help and hopefully you might be able to save me a few quid, as I was just about to take the plunge and purchase all the parts from 'Adam's solution':thumb:.

Steve

No problem Steve.

Firstly, I'm not saying that Adam is wrong, just different. Basically he has wired his cab battery to the inverter. Hence, when he uses his hair dryer or any other product he is draining from the cab battery.
As said, with Adam being completely competent and a nice guy, and with only him and her in the van he would never forget to turn the inverter off or start the engine whilst running.
2 problems. If my wife wants to dry her hair or we want to use or charge up one of our numerous gadgets over night, we can not leave the engine running, or we could but you next door would not be happy at 1am. Lets supposing we simply forget that we put something on charge, wake up in the morning, ready to move off and bingo no can go your cab battery is flat.

So a simple option is to do what Maz says. Simply increase your battery bank, purchase a decent inverter and use your hab battery. As Maz says, the draw is actually quite small.
However, what we have fitted is a battery to battery charger, in simple terms, this is doing what Adams set up is, but instead of using the alternator to charge the cab battery whilst running the engine the b2b charges the hab battery, meaning I can run my engine at any time to recharge not when I need an appliance on.
Since I have fitted it, I have never had to use my Honda genny, my set up is simply the best way.

Tried and tested in the alps in the middle of winter in -20, with kids laptops TVs you name it. I can even use my microwave now without hook up.

When we go to sites, we don't even bother taking hook up :thumb:

Upvote 0

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Steve, the DIYer in me likes the idea, but given my other thread regarding my combi heater I'm not inclined to through any more cash down the MoHo money pit just right now :winky:

Plus it would be another DIY job to add to the pile, which currently includes a SOG kit still in its box, and other maintenance and upgrades various!

What if I was to buy a 12v knowing it will be rubbish, but at least I will have shown willing. She will try it, conclude it's rubbish, and give up on the idea? :thumb: :winky:

Hi Jimothy,

I originally thought about doing this too, but then came to my senses and realised that:-

a. It would be YOUR fault that the 12v Hair Dryer was rubbish (because YOU must have bought the wrong one!)

b. She would give you grief for wasting money, after you had explained doing research and concluded that ALL 12v Hair Dryers were rubbish.

So why not let her read the various posts confirming what you were telling her? And then show her the posts detailing the 'expensive solution' and let HER decide whether to spend the cash or not!

Best of luck.:thumb:

Steve

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Forget electric hair dryers! If you have ducted heating fitted in your MH you only need a length of same diameter ducting and a reducer on the end to utilise a heat source you already have.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Forget electric hair dryers! If you have ducted heating fitted in your MH you only need a length of same diameter ducting and a reducer on the end to utilise a heat source you already have.

Ha ha.....

So you want to cook us men on a 40degrees aire. By having the heating on:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
No. Just close all outlets except one. We do something similar in order to use the toilet/shower as a drying room.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Unfortunately that wouldn't work on many motorhomes, especially those with Aldi heating, ours also has a thermostat that would have to be removed to get it to come on when inside the van is warm :Sad:

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Had the 12v hairdryer - rubbish so sold it on ebay:ROFLMAO:
Now got inverter which means I can use my normal hairdryer.
Got 2 solar panels to charge 2 x tractor batteries (had the cheapies & Banners but the ones we've got now are the bees knees!) Just traveled 5 weeks round Portugal & Spain didn't need electric once, used TV, hairdryer etc... daily:thumb:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ah ha!

But has Haggers got enough battery capacity to blow dry Tara?::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi

We use a dyson vacumn hose (new of course) attached to the ducted heating closing all the others outlets as suggested above. This works a treat on my hair.

Joyce

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back