Free Member
Feb 27, 2008
Wherever our R.V. is
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Five Years
We are going to ship our American RV back to the UK in January. Has anyone managed to get their American television to work over there? We've been told that a Multisystem Video System Converter PAL to NTSC (NTSC to PAL) will do the trick. Do you have to have a video player as well?:Confused:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
US-TV`s

Hi

The short aswer is most probably a big NO. N T S C will not receive euro signals for a varirity of technical reasons, there are "converters" for video Tapes and DVD, but as far as I am aware nothing to convert "live" T-V. UK T-V`s are currently relatively cheap AND we are in the process of "Going Digital" anyway, so if you converted NOW you would lost it by 2012 when the annalogue signal(s) are finally switched off. Certainly if it was a Older R-V with an older set I would suggest dumping it and replacing with a Euro digital set on arrival. Its the same with Reversing systems, mine (camera) failed and there are no compatible camera`s for virtually the same reasons. So I`ve just replaced the whole system.

On an historical note, in the 1960/70`s I spent several years in the British Merchant Navy (when we had one!!) on the US east coast trade, and we managed to tune some stations in, but could get no sound OR we could get the sound but no picture!! we got both only by using two T-V`s one with the sound and one with the picture!! (and the picture was absolute rubbish because of different "lines".

pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be totally wrong but i think the UK conversion 230v > 110v transformer will be the 50hz variety while you TV would prefer 110v 60hz.
could give you a flickering screen, if you can get a signal.

as Peter said......ditch the US telly and buy a UK digital LCD TV instead
32inch LCD = around £400.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sheelagh

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
B class
Dont know if its possible but we got someone to put in flat screen tv and now have a huge cupbaord space where the tv was. PS I just the passenger

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
somewhere on the forum a member has posted photos of their tv conversion using the original tv box above the windscreen.
various photos of different stages of change over.
i'm having trouble finding the posts but these others may give you some ideas.

Link Removed

john

ps.........remove and sell the old one before you import into the uk.

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Ok, thanks for your replies. Looks like we're ditching the TV then! Shame 'cos it's built in, and only a couple of years old.

Speak to Linda @ Stateside Tuning or lindy-c as shes known on here as they have a device to sort the TV and other gadgets

Link Removed

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Ok, thanks for your replies. Looks like we're ditching the TV then! Shame 'cos it's built in, and only a couple of years old.

When we bought our Dethleffs it 'came with a TV' which we said we didn't want (or the 'free' status aerial).

When we got it home I took out the TV turntable/shelf and converted the cabinet into a superb drinks cabinet complete with glass holders and specially shaped bottle racks (Plymouth Gin comes in a particularly odd shaped bottle, and litre bottles of Veterano Brandy are much wider that most wine bottles and, of course, had to be accommodated :wine:
Hic__Hic_by_Unmentionables.gif
. Never looked back. Looked cross eyed, perhaps, but back? No!
So replacing and relocating a TV to a TFT screen job could give you a cocktail cabinet worthy of the name too. ::bigsmile::thumb:

John

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I changed the tv in the Monaco as well as the cabinet it sat, it hung down quite low over the driver similar to this:

interior.jpg

I removed the cabinet completely you would not believe the amount of screws holding it in !!

000_0339.jpg

Cut the cabinet down and refitted it so the the adjoining mesh door would fit it like this:

000_0349.jpg

Then fitted a 26" LCD in the centre, moving the other cabinet door slightly to the right. I had to mount the tv about 10cm down from the ceiling to allow for cooling I also angled it down slightly.

100_0350.jpg

100_0352.jpg

Gaining a deeper cabinet space in the process also saving my head from damage::bigsmile:.
I also changed the rear tv to a LCD/DVD I mounted this on a ply door I made gaining more storage space in the process:thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

000_0677.jpg

Regards Pat

Regards Pat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and a cracking, professional job it is too, Pat :thumb:

looks like you get a better view from the left hand couch too.

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Pete & Kath,

Here is a link to a company who I believe can supply PAL - NTSC or visa versa HDStep :: HDMI Cables, DVI Cables, Audio Video Cables, HDMI DVI Component Switchers, HDMI DVI Component Amplifiers, HDMI DVI Component Converters, and much more!

Also check110220Volts.com: Multi-System LCD and Plasma TVs, Multi System VCRs, Region Free DVD Players, Voltage Converters, Voltage Transformers, PAL system camcorders, kitchen appliances and PAL/NTSC Code Free DVD Recorders out this web site

The 110/220 link can supply TV's VCR's that are BOTH PAL / NTSC as well as being 110-220 voltage.

Who are you shipping with.........got a price yet?

Mick

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, we have a good flat screen 26" TV in our C Class, purchased from Currys for about £300. Gets all of the UK digital TV chanels and works a treat on satellite when in Europe.

I really don't think it's worth messing about with NTSC converters, etc when a half reasonable UK TV is good value. You could probably find it even cheaper at the moment as EVERYTHING seems to be discounted! ::bigsmile:

Mick

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I changed the tv in the Monaco as well as the cabinet it sat, it hung down quite low over the driver similar to this:

interior.jpg

I removed the cabinet completely you would not believe the amount of screws holding it in !!

000_0339.jpg

Cut the cabinet down and refitted it so the the adjoining mesh door would fit it like this:

000_0349.jpg

Then fitted a 26" LCD in the centre, moving the other cabinet door slightly to the right. I had to mount the tv about 10cm down from the ceiling to allow for cooling I also angled it down slightly.

100_0350.jpg

100_0352.jpg

Gaining a deeper cabinet space in the process also saving my head from damage::bigsmile:.
I also changed the rear tv to a LCD/DVD I mounted this on a ply door I made gaining more storage space in the process:thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

000_0677.jpg

Regards Pat

Regards Pat

Wow! Nice job:thumb:

You've obviously got a flair for this sort of thing. Congrats.::bigsmile:

John

Sorry I should have snipped the pictures.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2008
France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
4 Years
TV conversion

Not sure if this post will be to late, Yes you can convert you tv's from NTSC and it's very easy. let me know if you still need info

also have a look at: Link Removed

regards

g

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back