Telescopic bollards (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2018
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Autoroller 200
Exp
10 years
My motorhome (yes Ford based) was recently stolen from my driveway. It was recovered by the police after a high speed chase on the motorway with some damage and I expect it to come home shortly. How do I protect it better in future? No one seems to rate wheel locks so I am thinking of a telescopic bollard in the driveway sunk well into the ground. Does anyone know how difficult it is for a thief to cut through or obtain duplicate keys to these? Any advice much appreciated.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Heavy duty chain from steering wheel to accelerator, make it viable too and a sodding big steering lock. Did they catch the scum who nicked your motorhome ?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi - sorry to hear that - here are some suggestions https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-vans-essential-cab-security-upgrades.132770/
Would go with the bollards too but all just a deterrent that will slow down & hopefully put off a thief. If you don't already have an alarm then the VanBitz Strikeback with Non Starter MT although not cheap is widely regarded as one of the better ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get an auto electrician to fit a hidden kill switch to the diesel pump or ecu. that way they cant start it even with a programmed key

OP
OP
A
Jun 9, 2018
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years
Many thanks, will definitely be doing something on suggested lines. Yes, they did catch him after a 30 mile chase, he jumped out and was caught in a thorn hedge! Don't know what happened to him, police very helpful initially, but have not been prepared to tell me anything since.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Heavy duty chain from steering wheel to accelerator, make it viable too and a sodding big steering lock. Did they catch the scum who nicked your motorhome ?
Many years ago on a holiday in Rome nearly every vehicle had this....

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
When we had our Transit I had a wheel lock, steering wheel Disc lock, driver and passenger seat locked together at 90 degrees, Vanbitz alarm and last but not least an OBD Port Lock which is still for sale in the General Classified section.:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My motorhome (yes Ford based) was recently stolen from my driveway. It was recovered by the police after a high speed chase on the motorway with some damage and I expect it to come home shortly. How do I protect it better in future? No one seems to rate wheel locks so I am thinking of a telescopic bollard in the driveway sunk well into the ground. Does anyone know how difficult it is for a thief to cut through or obtain duplicate keys to these? Any advice much appreciated.
I've considered the telescopic bollards, because they will prevent the type of theft which vehicle based security measures struggle to cope with - the thieves turning up with a recovery vehicle they winch your MH onto. But I also have an alarm - I don't think you want to rely on just one system.

There will be other suppliers but these ones are not outlandishly expensive. http://www.securitybollardsdirect.co.uk/security-bollards.html

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OBD portector. Replaced the obd port with a new one that has an electronic block in between. The new port can be enabled for diagnostic purposes but otherwise doesn't give communication to the ecu.

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thankyou was looking for a supplier for a project

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe not so practical for a motorhome but definitely do-able.
For my trailer I have a home made hitch post.
It's a regular 4mm walled square steel tube filled with home mixed granite and flint based concrete and a couple of lengths of 15mm rear.
An angle grinder will make short work of the steel tube but the granite and flint will make short work of the grinder disc.
The rebar will prevent the concrete being snapped if the steel is cut right around.
Because this is for a trailer its rigid and concreted into the ground but with some thought a heavily shielded padlock could easily be fitted to allow it to be either lowered or lifted out yet still protected from croppers or grinder.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I agree with having more than one method of security. My backup system has the drivers seat facing backwards with a clutch lock fitted through the seat plate. Cheap and easy to fit. I will not announce my other systems:wink:

OP
OP
A
Jun 9, 2018
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Exp
10 years
Thank you to all who responded. Can't do it all but shall certainly do at least 2 of the suggestions. Daft thing is that have never had any problems in 10 years mainly wild camping in Europe and then the van disappears from my front garden in South Devon.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did you have any security already fitted (replacement locks OBD lock etc) ? Just wondering what makes a difference

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Security can be applied in 'layers'.
Start by making it look tricky to nick. You'd much rather they didn't get as far as even entering your vehicle. Add visible deterrents, like a camera (could be a dummy) overlooking the van. They may not even bother to come and inspect other measures if they think that they might be on TV.
If you can live with the 'shame', keep it un-loved and looking as undesirable as possible.
Hopefully, they will move on somewhere else (but not to where I live).

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Security can be applied in 'layers'.
Start by making it look tricky to nick. You'd much rather they didn't get as far as even entering your vehicle. Add visible deterrents, like a camera (could be a dummy) overlooking the van. They may not even bother to come and inspect other measures if they think that they might be on TV.
If you can live with the 'shame', keep it un-loved and looking as undesirable as possible.
Hopefully, they will move on somewhere else (but not to where I live).
I asked a policeman about visible deterrents but he said I was assuming the criminals were a lot brighter than they really are!!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I asked a policeman about visible deterrents but he said I was assuming the criminals were a lot brighter than they really are!!
I'd suggest that they may be 'out of it' on drugs, or simply 'up against it' and desperate.
I'd also suggest that they are likely to be just as bright as an 'average' policeman.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The very first line of security is your KEYS....... If they get your key, then many of the alternative methods of security are pointless.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
get an auto electrician to fit a hidden kill switch to the diesel pump or ecu. that way they cant start it even with a programmed key

I like that idea - especially in a motorhome as you could get the switch hidden in the Hab area, they'd never find it (y)

How strong are these bollards in general, would a thief not just drive your van straight through it / over it? Sure, they'll make a mess of the front bumper, but that'll not take them long to fix.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like that idea - especially in a motorhome as you could get the switch hidden in the Hab area, they'd never find it (y)

How strong are these bollards in general, would a thief not just drive your van straight through it / over it? Sure, they'll make a mess of the front bumper, but that'll not take them long to fix.
they are 700mm tall steel post with 700mm+ set into concrete. you would destroy the van ramming it, not just the bumper but rip the sump off the engine

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ah, good point.

I've seen some on peoples driveways but in this instance I was thinking some posts might be really thin metal (regardless of height) and cause very little damage to the van if simply "pushed" by the front bumper to bend it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the 1m high reinforced set in 1m x1m x 1m deep concrete are the best. The smaller ones I'm not a fan of
they are 700mm tall steel post with 700mm+ set into concrete. you would destroy the van ramming it, not just the bumper but rip the sump off the engine

My mate drove over his own 700mm one.& it didn't do that much damage to his van ( not a motorhome) Under tray took most of the impact. sump not touched. It cost more getting the old one & concrtete torn out to replace with a proper one than the repairs to the van.
One near my nephew has the 700mm (28") high one & although the drive has a slope I don't think it is that steep yet it only reaches to the bottom of the rear bumper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back