Telesat S65 not locking on following layoff (1 Viewer)

cliffhanger

Free Member
Nov 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bursner Ixeo 585
Hi

Good to be registered and asking advice.

I have a Telesat S65 system. It has been out of commission for about three years, both motors failed, and I removed it and put it into storage. I have now resurrected it and the mechanics appear to be working fine. Straight off it was evident it was not going to lock-on and some digging around revealed the control box was going to need updating as frequencies had changed. I downloaded the software from Teleco and flashed the update from laptop. It went fine.

Unfortunately the system still won't lock to either Astra 19 or Astra 28. It tries initially then just scans the skies. It does lock onto Hotbird every time, giving me some faith that the cables are okay. As far as I remember these are the only three sats that were updated. There were no others on the screen when flashed.

Any ideas were I go from here? Do I flash again and write down the frequencies to check them? I'm practical, but this is now beyond my scope.

Thanks

Cliff

OP
OP
cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Free Member
Nov 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bursner Ixeo 585
Yeah well I can understand the lack of response. Having looked, other answers sort of some things up.

I'm going to flash the box again and send a picture of the results. Other than it's a visit to BC Motorhomes.

Cliff

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
First thing to do is to check the cables and connections and if it does find Hotbird do a full scan on the satellite to see what channels you get, are you missing certain bands / or polarisation? I don't know what frequencies the Teleco is actually looking for now as they always used to look for the sat ID but if Astra @ 28 is looking for 12500H and Astra 19 is looking for 12750H (pure examples) and the LNB has failed on High horizontal it won't find it. And the same logic applies if the Hotbird ID is 10900 V and all is working well.
If the scan on Hotbird find channels on all four bands I would do a re-flash of the software, and be 100% it is the correct version for that unit.
Let us know how you get on and we can move on to the next bit. LNB's don't last for ever and are as cheap as chips now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Free Member
Nov 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bursner Ixeo 585
Many thanks Vansflyer. Things are getting more irritating by the minute though. Put the sat up this morning and it wouldn't lock-on to anything! So reflashed software. Pictures attached.

I'm beginning to think that the two new motors might have been fitted incorrectly by yours truly. Is that possible? It was three years ago and I can't remember if the sat was closed when it was dismantled and now might be out of sync? Seems unlikely . Thanks again. Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_133002.jpg
    IMG_20211121_133002.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211121_132932.jpg
    IMG_20211121_132932.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20211121_133022.jpg
    IMG_20211121_133022.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 14
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
If the motors weren't in properly they wouldn't close / park the dish properly so I doubt that is the issue, does it move around as it did previously? I think maybe LNB or control unit is duff, do you have a sat meter by any chance? Not flashed a unit in some time so not sure what it said when done, slightly concerned about the dummy positions tho.. I would have thought the non affected sats would have the original figures in. The key with the software is to download the correct version for your system as they have done a few over the years. It is worth checking the software just to be 100% sure and other obvious stuff like a house or tree being in the way of the line of sight. I would swop the LNB if it fails to get anything as that is a cheap option once I had checked to see if the LNB was pulling current and if it was giving out "noise" or not but not easy to do that with a clever bit of kit. By any chance do you have a stand alone dish kicking around that you swop LNB's with?

OP
OP
cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Free Member
Nov 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bursner Ixeo 585
Yes it moves like it use to, and closes on request, so I feel it's okay as you say. I don't have access to a spare LNB as we're on the road at present and for the near future(long story). So no sat meter.

I'm 100% on the software, that was the second flashing, and SetupTelesat.exe has to be the one. SetupEasy.exe is used to deliver it.

As regards the LNB. Do I need an exact replacement or will a generic one do? I would have thought the housing for the LNB would dictate this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
A universal LNB with either a 28mm or 40mm collar should fit but they did fit some small ones historically so worth a measure before ordering.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back