Teeth (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Does anyone know of an English speaking dentist they can recommend within reasonable travelling distance of Calais. I want to get a couple of new implants done and I understand that prices are quire a lot cheaper than in the UK. For example my dentist here charges £2000 per implant but I have read that in France an implant can be as little as£700

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't know any Calais dentists but while I lived there I went to local dentist for a filling. Never again--worst dentistry ever, no anaesthetic ( none offered) and I wasn't too sure of the sterility of items used.....
Went to another dentist with a friend. The quote started at €3000. She didn't go back.

Perhaps it might be worth investigating more just to be sure ?
Also in France, on an Internet forum, no one is allowed to recommend doctors, dentists publicly ( by law) so you'll find it difficult, but not impossible to find recommendations from people in the area.

Sorry, don't want to be doom and gloom but my dentistry experience there was truly awful.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks Hollyberry, I would sooner be told how it really is than a rose tinted view. But I hope someone comes along with a better experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I've had five implants (in Spain) about 5 years ago and the cost, then, was approx 900€ for one implant and 1.200€ for a bigger gap that needed "two" implants on one stem.

Dentists in Spain (and probably France) are one million times better than whatever you find in UK.

IMHO what you have to look for is not a "Dentist" but a "Maxilofacial Surgeon" (don't know if that's right in English!) I would never have an implant done by a "Dentist". My experience was excellent.

This has become so common that now you can have implants in Spain for as little as 200€ with a Maxilofacial Surgeon. Probably the same in France.

It isn't a quick affair, if it's done properly, and can take up to 2-3 months, especially if you need a bone implant prior to the tooth implant - the bone implant can take anything from one month.

Incidentally, in Spain they use powered cattle bone to build up the area where the tooth implant will be located.

Also, for about 3 months after the implant you need to have regular 2-3 week check ups to make sure all is well so you need to be in the area for quite a long time - about 3 months in all.

Hope my experience has been helpful and I would definitely recommend implants but ONLY by a Maxilofacial Surgeon NOT a Dentist.

Momo

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
When we lived in France I had dental problems resulting in a decision to go down the route of replacing my remaining teeth with implants. I had a total of 22 root canal treatments followed by 22 implants over a two year period 2002 to 2004. The dentist was brilliant and it was a virtually pain free experience. It wasn't cheap but at a total cost of £6000 (£272 per tooth) was a bargain compared to English prices and I have had absolutely no trouble of any sort since. This was carried out in Royan by Dr Garafalakis who I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back