Tec Tower not cooling (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just noticed that after running on gas for 24 hours that my Tec Tower fridge not cooling properly.

Had it serviced by the dealer in the summer.

We use it mainly on gas,
Have also got vent covers fitted as per instruction book.

Wondering if the flue may be blocked?

Flame seems fine to look at
Van is level
Freezer section is cold but element in fridge is not so cold
No warning signals

Any ideas please

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't be tempted to turn it up or down (never quite sure what you do with a fridge) is it up to get colder o_O

stick it in the middle somewhere see if that improves things, we have found ours sometimes doesn't get as cold if turned down to too low a temperature

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
don't be tempted to turn it up or down (never quite sure what you do with a fridge) is it up to get colder o_O

stick it in the middle somewhere see if that improves things, we have found ours sometimes doesn't get as cold if turned down to too low a temperature
Thanks David
If was set on max
Now set on medium
Also switched to elec as we're now on EHU

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you on the aire? Not managed to get in there yet, do all the pitches have hook up?
Yes we're on the aire - only three other vans here when we arrived this morning. EHU on all pitches, but ours tripped while we were out, so reset and working fine
19€ a day

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Very often max on gas isn't the coldest. I suppose it has something to do with the ambient temperature, but you'lll find a sweet spot for the coldest setting and its normally not max. When the weather is warm in our RV just over halfway seems the most efficient. (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Robert

Before we whent away last week I put ours on gas just to cool it before filling on the drive, and yes it didn't seem to be getting very cold either. When we were away it was on 240 and no problem with freezer down to about minus 8 or 10 and only turned half way down, coming home on 12 it actually whent to minus 16.

Anyway day before yesterday I cleaned the flue (but it didn't need it) cleaned the burner and put it on overnight to try, got down to about minus 6 set where it had been when away turned it a bit lower and it whent to minus 10 pretty quickly so it working OK but needs setting lower than on 240 or 12.

I have not really looked at it in detail before but I wonder if it doesn't work so well on gas when it is cold outside.

Sorry I don't think this really helps you.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks @Jim and @funflair

Interior of fridge is 14C (I've got a thermometer built in.
In the summer on gas it seemed to be cooler.

I recently noticed that the grub screw in the top of the flue was missing - wondering if dealer removed the baffle and forgot to refit it?
Maybe a red herring but my dealer is technically inept and nothing would surprise me.

@funflair - how did you clean the flue?
Is there a baffle on yours ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The grub screw normally just holds the exhaust elbow and the wire supporting the baffle just sits on top of the chimney, won't work very well without a baffle. Also I wouldn't use the top vent cover with your type of installation they get very hot on gas which will also affect the efficiency.

upload_2016-11-25_17-13-30.png

Reactions: Jim

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks @Jim and @funflair

Interior of fridge is 14C (I've got a thermometer built in.
In the summer on gas it seemed to be cooler.

I recently noticed that the grub screw in the top of the flue was missing - wondering if dealer removed the baffle and forgot to refit it?
Maybe a red herring but my dealer is technically inept and nothing would surprise me.

@funflair - how did you clean the flue?
Is there a baffle on yours ?
Hi Robert

If you can get to the top of the flue through the top vent there should be a T piece on top which might be not held by the missing screw you refer to, remove the T and the baffle should be hanging on a bit of wire over the top of the flue, remove the baffle, I clean our flue with a bit of scothchbrite cloth pushed through with an old bit of 2.5mm flat twin and Earth cable, Oops remove or cover the burner first though as any crap will fall into it. The burner should be fitted to the bottom of the flue with a grub screw once removed it will just gently move aside.

What temperature is you freezer showing.

Good luck

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ok @Lenny HB and @funflair
Do you promise not to laugh???

I saw the parts diagram online too
I reckon I'm missing the t piece assembly and the baffle !!!

Not sure if it's cheaper to take it back to the supplying incompetent dealer in Doncaster or just buy the bits and fit them myself

Do you have to move the fridge to do this ?

@funflair i don't have a thermometer in the freezer but I am now on 240v and we can see if the fridge gets any colder overnight

Fortunately I've got a large cool box in the garage which I've just plugged in

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
From a pic I've seen of your van the top vent is on the side so fairly easy but you will curse and swear a few times helps if you have long arms. A stubby No.1 pozi or Philips screwdriver (depending what screw you use) is the only tool you should need. No need to remove the fridge.
Have they left parts No. 105 & 116 as if they have left off the "T" they may have left them off as well.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If all seemed well before fitting covers... Try removing the top vent cover..
I had same scenario on Dometic AES 8555... Fridge now operating ok with only bottom cover on... Presently.

JT

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
From a pic I've seen of your van the top vent is on the side so fairly easy but you will curse and swear a few times helps if you have long arms. A stubby No.1 pozi or Philips screwdriver (depending what screw you use) is the only tool you should need. No need to remove the fridge.

Thanks Lenny
First thing I'm going to do when I get home is to take a pic of the flue and email it to the dealer, asking them if they noticed the missing baffle when they professionally serviced it, and can they please send me the missing parts by post or arrange for a Dometic engineer to fit them.

It's like when they serviced the engine and forgot to reset the service counter.

Total idiots !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny
First thing I'm going to do when I get home is to take a pic of the flue and email it to the dealer, asking them if they noticed the missing baffle when they professionally serviced it, and can they please send me the missing parts by post or arrange for a Dometic engineer to fit them.

It's like when they serviced the engine and forgot to reset the service counter.

Total idiots !
3 months later a bit pile of incorrect bits and you may get there.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On these tec towers, I was informed you don't need the external covers unless it's way below zero, unlike the older fridges.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ok @Lenny HB and @funflair
Do you promise not to laugh???

I saw the parts diagram online too
I reckon I'm missing the t piece assembly and the baffle !!!

Not sure if it's cheaper to take it back to the supplying incompetent dealer in Doncaster or just buy the bits and fit them myself

Do you have to move the fridge to do this ?

@funflair i don't have a thermometer in the freezer but I am now on 240v and we can see if the fridge gets any colder overnight

Fortunately I've got a large cool box in the garage which I've just plugged in
Well I can't add any more to what @Lenny HB has already said, other than "what a b----y shower" I guess thats why we keep the older van and I do all the hab servicing.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Martin
Could you please take a pic so I can see how the top of the vent is meant to look ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin
Could you please take a pic so I can see how the top of the vent is meant to look ?
I nearly did a little thread the other day when I had it apart.

Give me a day or two as its back in the shed now.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Robert

This isn't actually ours but the same, our is 7 series not Tec Tower which makes it easier to get at as on the Tec Tower ones they put the vent at the back of the oven so the top of the flue ends up at arms length.

The T piece you are interested in is circled, zooming in you can just see the screw and also a slot which allows the wire hanger for the baffle to sit over the top of the flue.

Ours doesn't have the parts 119, 118 122 and 120 in Lenny's schematic.

Martin

fridge.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think they have used a stock drawing in that pic, on all of the large fridge freezers the elbow vents directly into the cavity behind the vent grill.
Yes agree, I thought I would mention it so Robert didn't go looking for those as well.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think they have used a stock drawing in that pic, on all of the large fridge freezers the elbow vents directly into the cavity behind the vent grill.
So are you saying that I only need:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Robert

I think you will only need part 102 the baffle and 117 the flue T.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Will a Stainess Steel self tapper do?
I've got a box of those in assorted sizes
Yes but access may well be difficult so getting the size could be a pain, it will be clearance through the T and screwed into the flue.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes but access may well be difficult so getting the size could be a pain, it will be clearance through the T and screwed into the flue.

Martin
Thanks Martin
If it's the dealer who's supplying the kit then I'll get him to supply the screw too.

Will be interesting to see what they say when I report this issue next week.

Robert

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Put some blue tack on the screwdriver to hold the screw, you can only get one hand in the vent in the right position.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back