Tec tower fridge has failed, need new or repair? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Evening all, a good few of you may have already have spotted my ammonia thread, this we now know was the refrigerant gas leaking out of our Dometic tec tower fridge freezer

the MH is technically only 9 years old, that is since registered, but was built in 2007 to a 2008 spec

we are second owners, which is irrelevant other than to add some more info that in its first two years the MH sat on display, then for 3 more years the next owners did only 2000 miles and by default hardly used it and therefore the fridge

I am not at all impressed to find out our tec tower system was actually obsolete in 2005, but still fitted in 2007 o_O the whole fridge design is pretty much flawed on most fronts, but the final straw now it has failed, not only is it obsolete, but the oven, which is bolted to the top of the FF, is controlled from the fridge control panel :( so even with a different FF our oven wouldn't work :mad:

I am yet to speak to @Terry about the repair option, but we have virtually made up our minds to go with brand new, to get some warranty and hopefully some improvement

In our first year of ownership the door flew off the fridge, 90% our fault though, think we forgot to lock it before moving, but the lock is so piss poor it could easily not have located, the newer ones auto lock when closed, so much more sensible

So we already have a damaged door, a piss poor lock and a light that only works if it feels like it, so even if mended we would still have those issues, and the repair may not be as assured as the 3 year warranty with a new unit

I had decided that Dometic could do one with regards to replacement, in researching options, Thetford comes in a most common next option, but it would seem that they might already be part of the Dometic group o_O but as far as I can see other than Dometic no others come with a curved front, so Dometic it might need to be :(

Then we still have the oven to deal which will also needs to be replaced, as mentioned above it is controlled from the failed fridge, although the oven does still work o_O what birk thought that fitting the controls for the oven on a separate appliance would be clever :( maybe the same one who thought an oven mounted 5' of the floor was safe to use :( just about OK if you are over 6'

So we are then also faced with finding a curved front oven with bottom or side opening door

I don't think this is going to be easy, or cheap :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but we have virtually made up our minds to go with brand new,

First thing you need to do is measure the width & height & measure then the doors to see whether it can actually be physically removed from the van. Many can't. the van is built around them

Or can it be removed via a window ?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Out through the Heki roof light maybe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
First thing you need to do is measure the width & height & measure then the doors to see whether it can actually be physically removed from the van. Many can't. the van is built around them

Or can it be removed via a window ?

Out through the Heki roof light maybe?

given my normal bad luck I am pleased to say we do know it will come out of the habitation door (y)

I know this because I actually bought a replacement when I broke the door and opted for mending the door when we discovered the oven issue o_O

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When we bought out latest van I was toying with the idea of removing the tec tower and fitting a compressor fridge, so went through the same thought process that you are going through.
I faced two main issues;
The curved front
The height / width as the dometic tec tower is quite narrow

If it were me I would install a normal domestic fridge freezer, then fit a panel above it to support a mini gas oven.
A domestic fridge will be white, but you could apply black self adhesive vinly to the front if the colour was an issue.
Personally I wouldnt bother.

In the end we stayed with the Dometic Tec Tower and fitted a large compressor wine cooler in the garage

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
David, why bottom or side opening for your oven? Our Tec Tower oven (2015 model) has a top opening door. Much easier as you do not reach over the door as you do with a bottom opening one.

With regards to height, I think much of the blame lies with the converters who often put a cupboard under the unit, thus raising it up. Our Tec Tower sits only a couple of inches off the floor and even Angela, who is only 5' 4", can use the oven. It was one of the reasons we bought the motorhome.

Good luck with the research, but I suspect you will end up having to pay the money. A consolation is that with the newer ones, or at least with mine, the oven is separate. We know that for sure because we had our oven replaced under warranty and they did not need to touch the fridge.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@peterc10

Morning Peter, the opening confusion is my terminology, mine opens from the bottom so is top hinged (y) the side option is only if different makers don’t do upward opening

Although yours is separate where are your controls fir the oven? Mine are on the fridge alongside the fridge controls

Like the idea of lower mounting though, could even consider removing the drawer fitted under ours (y)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Our Tech tower has a Smev oven on the top with its own rotary Control/Igniter combined in the bottom right hand corner. It looks like the electrics are shared at the back to provide the spark.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not that i am likely to add anything useful to the debate , but might a photo of your existing set up help others come up with different ideas..
Do hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction david.... and without having to break the bank..
Andy..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we bought out latest van I was toying with the idea of removing the tec tower and fitting a compressor fridge, so went through the same thought process that you are going through.
I faced two main issues;
The curved front
The height / width as the dometic tec tower is quite narrow

If it were me I would install a normal domestic fridge freezer, then fit a panel above it to support a mini gas oven.
A domestic fridge will be white, but you could apply black self adhesive vinly to the front if the colour was an issue.
Personally I wouldnt bother.

In the end we stayed with the Dometic Tec Tower and fitted a large compressor wine cooler in the garage

I hadn’t realised the tec towers were still available, I think a white appliance with the flat front would look too much out of place for me, so most likely will be like for like total swap

Although I will look at alternative ovens, but even then the curved front could be an issue, but being so high may not notice

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Do you and Bev use the oven much ?

Must admit our last van had a useless oven and so I don’t miss it in our van, we just have the fridge and a useful snack cupboard above it ( you could use it to carry more gin).

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I hadn’t realised the tec towers were still available, I think a white appliance with the flat front would look too much out of place for me, so most likely will be like for like total swap

Although I will look at alternative ovens, but even then the curved front could be an issue, but being so high may not notice
From memory you cab get a 12v compressor fridge with a curved front

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10

Morning Peter, the opening confusion is my terminology, mine opens from the bottom so is top hinged (y) the side option is only if different makers don’t do upward opening

Although yours is separate where are your controls fir the oven? Mine are on the fridge alongside the fridge controls

Like the idea of lower mounting though, could even consider removing the drawer fitted under ours (y)
All the controls for the oven are on the oven. Mind you the only control is the knob!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
All the controls for the oven are on the oven. Mind you the only control is the knob!
Hope it works better than mine...... the most useless piece of motorhome equipment I have ever seen. Now used as storage

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought we had worked out on your other thread that a 8505 TecTower would fit just need a bit of a mod on your top grill above the current TecTower.
As for the height my mate has just bought a new Carthago E-Line they fit the TecTower 4" higher than Hymer do, don't think my wife would stand a chance at 4'10".

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10

Another thought David. Check where the bottom vent is in your motorhome before deciding you want to to lower it. It is normally put in a place that enables servicing and cleaning to take place without having to remove the fridge.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I thought we had worked out on your other thread that a 8505 TecTower would fit just need a bit of a mod on your top grill above the current TecTower.
As for the height my mate has just bought a new Carthago E-Line they fit the TecTower 4" higher than Hymer do, don't think my wife would stand a chance at 4'10".

I have looked up the 8505 tec tower, it is just a fridge freezer and doesn’t have an oven attached, still need to work out how that gets attached

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have looked up the 8505 tec tower, it is just a fridge freezer and doesn’t have an oven attached, still need to work out how that gets attached
Mine does, I think I explained before for the retail market Dometic do not show any TecTowers but dealers can get them for you. On the other thread I gave you the model and product number of mine.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mine does, I think I explained before for the retail market Dometic do not show any TecTowers but dealers can get them for you. On the other thread I gave you the model and product number of mine.

Thanks Lenny, I still want to explore possible alternative ovens, ours is good for bake your own bread and keeping things warm but not much else

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny, I still want to explore possible alternative ovens, ours is good for bake your own bread and keeping things warm but not much else
The one in our current van was just as naff as the previous two vans but since having the door hinges replaced (common fault) it's been working like an oven rather than a warming draw, grill still naff.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine too is an 8505. The oven matches it, is mounted on top, and is bottom opening. I'm about to replace it with a microwave. The oven and its connections and controls are totally separate fom the fridge / mh freezer. The front is curved on both appliances.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Mine too is an 8505. The oven matches it, is mounted on top, and is bottom opening. I'm about to replace it with a microwave. The oven and its connections and controls are totally separate fom the fridge / mh freezer. The front is curved on both appliances.
I know somebody who might want to buy that oven when you remove it .............................. :D2

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I know somebody who might want to buy that oven when you remove it .............................. :D2
I'm waiting for a replacement cooling unit for the fridge / freezer which will require removal of the complete appliance to install. I intend to replace it minus the oven. I'll keep you in mind & I'll post on here when it happens.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not that i am likely to add anything useful to the debate , but might a photo of your existing set up help others come up with different ideas..
Do hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction david.... and without having to break the bank..
Andy..

Good idea Andy, especially as mine was probably a one off o_O

94E17426-F76D-4331-B67B-A70DF15DFBAA.jpeg

5A54C2EE-459F-4CD8-9FA5-AA3FB50D40FF.jpeg

Damaged door corner from when it fell off

2EDCFE00-18B7-44E6-838C-35865684FEE8.jpeg

Totally useless locking mechanism

A5824E48-C736-4CB6-8E76-21F586EE18DD.jpeg

Despite according to this having an electronic lock, that switch dues nothing

825DD44D-9FFD-4E26-9EB9-3B48A9F9B14F.jpeg

The left hand dial below also does nothing whatever position we get 2 bars lit, presume it is fridge temp

8DB85681-D1C0-4F2B-9B66-E2815B8510CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm waiting for a replacement cooling unit for the fridge / freezer which will require removal of the complete appliance to install. I intend to replace it minus the oven. I'll keep you in mind & I'll post on here when it happens.
The reference was not to me wanting to buy it. Have a guess as to who it might be though. ;)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

That sounds like excellent timing can we please have first dibs on the oven unless it is already spoken for (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Didnt realise the fridge could be mended, but we have so many other issues a new fridge is our best option, but hopefully attached to your oven :)

Just to be sure I don’t end up with the same as ours, your oven controls are all on the oven ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looks identical to the TecTowerin our first Hymer we bought new in 2008.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back