Tec tower fridge has failed, need new or repair? (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just saying but my old Autotrail had a perfectly good oven which wasn’t in a silly tower with an oven at the top:whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This sort of sums up Dometic

Technical spec for roof vent only gives a parcel size o_O

upload_2018-9-18_20-8-24.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
and it was so good you couldn't wait to use it every weekend and you will keep it for ever :whistle:

just saying :)

It would have been easy to replace though.

We had a ridiculous tower arrangement in our previous Burstner.

My initial reaction at seeing it was that the Germans were taking the piss.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It would have been easy to replace though.

We had a ridiculous tower arrangement in our previous Burstner.

My initial reaction at seeing it was that the Germans were taking the piss.

classic design error IMO made to look good not use o_O

and as for the price of these things :mad:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
No oven, look at a Ramoska if you don't already have one. I know they are 240v, but with an inverter, they work brilliantly. Can't fault ours (the large one), we now use it as much as we do the gas oven.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Thanks Lenny

I did think that by opening the technical page for the vent I might have found what you now have o_O

My logic for now is going to be that as we already have the two side vents fitted and will be gaining the extra roof vent when the oven is removed, that we will hopefully not need that full size vent, it would be different if fitting that instead of the side vents (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No oven, look at a Ramoska if you don't already have one. I know they are 240v, but with an inverter, they work brilliantly. Can't fault ours (the large one), we now use it as much as we do the gas oven.

we don't have a Ramoska, but also don't have a big enough invertor to run one (although I haven't confirmed the power requirement yet) I did check the halogen options and they seem to be 1300W for one with decent reviews, I suspect that an inverter upgrade will be on the cards when I have saved up again :)

The Kampa option for now seems to tick enough boxes, particularly price, as the fridge freezer is already expensive enough o_O

It can stay in the garage when not in use and needs no further work as it runs off gas cartridges that we already have (y)

upload_2018-9-19_12-33-39.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My logic for now is going to be that as we already have the two side vents fitted and will be gaining the extra roof vent when the oven is removed, that we will hopefully not need that full size vent, it would be different if fitting that instead of the side vents (y)
May work if you fit a fan under the roof vent but if it's like our oven the vent is only about 60mm dia.,which I would think is far too small.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I see where you are coming from, but for anyone else interested the small Remoska is 480 w and the large 580 w. We cook whilst driving, the dinner (sometimes a full roast) is ready for when you stop.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I see where you are coming from, but for anyone else interested the small Remoska is 480 w and the large 580 w. We cook whilst driving, the dinner (sometimes a full roast) is ready for when you stop.

That is now much more appealing as we have a 600W inverter already fitted (y)(y)

I have read a few threads where these or similar devices are used while on the move and I do like that idea, then get the gas cooker out for fresh bread (y)

just off to check prices of the small one :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
May work if you fit a fan under the roof vent but if it's like our oven the vent is only about 60mm dia.,which I would think is far too small.

Many thanks Lenny

I now need to go home and check my existing vent positions, if they comply to the 1300mm minimum then the roof vent will simply be an extra vent so should be good enough, if the top vent is too low I will need to reconsider, either with a larger vent or hopefully a fan

Just agreed to buy the large fridge freezer now, so will have to make it work :)(y)

Or look out for a random over sized fridge appearing in classified :LOL:

Looks like we will also be carrying 2 ovens, Remoska and the Kampa one for gas (y), cant ever see us downsizing :whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Lenny

I did think that by opening the technical page for the vent I might have found what you now have o_O

You might find you need to block off the top side vent to make the chimney effect clear air right from the bottom vent up without short circuiting.

Martin

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
That is now much more appealing as we have a 600W inverter already fitted (y)(y)

I have read a few threads where these or similar devices are used while on the move and I do like that idea, then get the gas cooker out for fresh bread (y)
:)[/QUOTE

Why not cook the bread in the remoska ????

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
why not cook the bread in Ramoska

still checking spec, didn't know you could, but Bev is now in charge of that side of things and I am not interfering further :)

we will almost certainly now end up with one of each, the gas oven if nothing else will go with her on guide camps (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You might find you need to block off the top side vent to make the chimney effect clear air right from the bottom vent up without short circuiting.

Martin

or I guess I block off the roof vent, if the side vent is already high enough (y)

a bit of measuring required, at least that is simple enough for me :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
well the vents are more than far enough apart, 1480mm when minimum needs to be 1300mm so all looking good :)

not sure whether to block the roof vent or leave for extra ventilation, will see how easy it is to access when fridge is changed, if not easy to get back to afterwards I might just block it off

picking fridge freezer up tomorrow (y) to be fitted next week hopefully :)

ordered the portable gas oven option (y) for occasional use, will be researching the Remoska spec and options over the weekend, the main use for our oven has been part baked bread, I am sure we can avoid the need for that, I really think we will not miss the oven, although I do like garlic or cheese flatbreads so may need to reconsider

one thing I will not miss is black at back, raw at front cooking o_O, I know some love their tec tower ovens, I am just not impressed with the performance of ours

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all this talk of new fridges costing silly money, just madness. A friend of mine had his fridge repaired and re-gassed in Morocco for very little money. surely a proper old fashioned fridge engineer could do the same? it's not that complicated

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
all this talk of new fridges costing silly money, just madness. A friend of mine had his fridge repaired and re-gassed in Morocco for very little money. surely a proper old fashioned fridge engineer could do the same? it's not that complicated

If mine didn't have so many other issues, design faults and damage, I would also pursue the repair options (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We now have 2 fridge freezers in one MH, technically we have been in pretty much the same place about 4 years ago when the Michael Caine door event first happened :)

This is where we are now, fridge in MH awaiting the assistance of our favourite Mr Fix it @Terry (y)

0494BC11-7BBE-4308-B765-283B64E4BFE3.jpeg

368769A8-68E7-4B2A-9640-6E9425017A70.jpeg

I see plenty of tonic space without compromising beer room, might even allow Bev some white wine room :)

Then this also turned up today

CB48240F-7C04-4DC5-8134-54F88A7C2857.jpeg

F8BA5096-3338-44D2-A2E9-1EAF334F5BDB.jpeg

I am slightly concerned by the use outside only sticker on the roof o_O but can’t really see any difference to a built in oven, other than the built in vent maybe :whistle:

So maybe an open window and new batteries in the CO monitor :)

Remoska research still on going, I suspect we will also be the proud owners of one of their low wattage versions next week (y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Although still plastic they are proper catches, with effective auto lock, in that when closed you press a button to release every time (y)

certainly no silly slide thingie o_O
Same catch as is on ours David. Do you know that you can slide out the catch on the body of the fridge so that it will lock the door with a ventilation gap when the fridge is switched off.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Same catch as is on ours David. Do you know that you can slide out the catch on the body of the fridge so that it will lock the door with a ventilation gap when the fridge is switched off.

Thanks Peter

I will have a look at that when fitted, although we never turn the fridge off, permanent hook up at home, it makes a useful spare fridge / freezer on the drive (y)

I really like the look of the lower chilled drawer section, fans push air from top to bottom sections, designed for bottles to stand upright in, which makes great sense to keep the weight off the door, particularly useful with our fairly heavy tonic water consumption :whistle:

Last edited:

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I know it's a bit off topic, but did you replace your sink top, or have you still got the plastic one? If so, how's it performing? We've taken templates of ours, just in case.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I know it's a bit off topic, but did you replace your sink top, or have you still got the plastic one? If so, how's it performing? We've taken templates of ours, just in case.

still on the perspex one, I think we will probably pursue the option for the one you know about, as the worktop on ours has also split where a piece of glass got behind the drainer sink hinge, Hymer want £1500 just for that without the glass, that they no longer supply o_O

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Thanks Peter

I will have a look at that when fitted, although we never turn the fridge off, permanent hook up at home, it makes a useful spare fridge / freezer on the drive (y)

I really like the look of the lower chilled drawer section, fans push air from top to bottom, designed for bottles to stand upright in, which makes great sense to keep the weight off the door, particularly useful with our fairly heavy tonic water consumption :whistle:

The previous owners of mine had a rubber “button” fixed to the bottom of the fridge so that the main door catches on it and makes a secondary friction catch as well as the normal push button one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back