Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
OK so I am thinking of buying a new MH for our trip around Europe for the next 4-5 months. Do I have to tax it to drive on the continent or can I just SORN it for UK and tax it on my return.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If you re-enter the UK untaxed, without MOT or uninsured you risk being stopped fined and having your vehicle seized - they do check this at ports now. Only last week a friend came back having been in Eire for a couple of weeks and came back only to be stopped before he left the port and given a ticket for no MOT - it was just 24 hours out of date. Will cost him a £60 fine but as it was insured and taxed he was allowed to continue his journey

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now a good old fashioned human would have let him off or told him to phone a garage and book it in making him legal.

But not so a computer.
... really!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Now a good old fashioned human would have let him off or told him to phone a garage and book it in making him legal.

But not so a computer.

I've met plenty of "good old fashioned humans" in blue uniforms that wouldn't have dreamed of letting him off, not even if it was 10 minutes out of date.

And that isn't a dig at the police or anyone else it's merely an observation based on experience. (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In the good old days I was let off having no valid MOT on two separate occasions by the police.

Humility and constant apologising for causing trouble was my technique.

I doubt moaning and suggesting they went and caught some proper criminals would have had the same effect.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
With the new system its dead easy to sorn online when you leave the country and retax online before you return . The doomsayers on here will tell you that your insurance is invalid but i read through my policy and it says the vehicle has to be roadworthy only.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
With the new system its dead easy to sorn online when you leave the country and retax online before you return . The doomsayers on here will tell you that your insurance is invalid but i read through my policy and it says the vehicle has to be roadworthy only.

My insurance company said it would no longer be legal on the road and therefore the insurance would be void.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked!

:cooler:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Nice as that sounds, you can't drive a UK registered vehicle in Europe ( or anywhere on a public road) unless it is taxed, insured, and if applicable , MOT'd.
Otherwise we would all save a fortune....
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

voyagerstan

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
torquay sometimes
Funster No
MH
library bus (ford voyager
Exp
since1976

try making a claim , first thing insurace co is check out dvla . beleive me i know bin there don it and could'nt aford the tee shirt afterwards .:doh:STAN

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back