Tax discs redundant from November 2014? (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Read the story here

Link Removed

Looks like we wont have to display them from November 2014.

It will be interesting to see how the new system works. Although they say its no longer needed for enforcement, it does help to identify vehicles with false plates and contributes to reducing other crime.

No getting your hopes up, its only the disc they are doing away with, NOT the TAX
yep we will still have to pay

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
about time as well

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Good idea. For several years now VOSA has been running roadside checks with cameras recording number plates rather than the paper discs. More recently we have seen newly registered vehicles allowed to be used without a disc whilst awaiting its delivery. All being well that should mean that any problems with IT systems should have been resolved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
A god idea but it has it's drawbacks especially where everyone is relying on technology to do the job.

At least with a bit of paper you have got some form of evidence, without it what proof will you have that you have paid your VED should the technology fail.

Currently:

You get a cert for the MOT, evidence

You get a cert of Insurance, evidence

You get a Tax Disc for VED, evidence.

Just imagine being stopped by the Police, VOSA etc and not having some form of evidence that you have the correct, legal cover.

However, in principal, a good idea,

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Good idea. For several years now VOSA has been running roadside checks with cameras recording number plates rather than the paper discs. More recently we have seen newly registered vehicles allowed to be used without a disc whilst awaiting its delivery. All being well that should mean that any problems with IT systems should have been resolved.

The road fun licence /tax disc system has been working well now for a few years but the rest of DVLA is still a total liability and with the shutting of regional offices I suspect it will get far far worse. Recently had them trying to tell me I was not insured and issued a fine - I was of course but their wonderful system did not give them the correct answer. Having proved I was insured they sent a letter- not specifically apologising for false accusation but advising me they would no longer be pursuing the fine !!!! :Eeek:

Now it makes you question just how many times they send out such documents - for me this is the fourth time in as many years when their information has been flawed on different points. I maintain DVLA is not fit for purpose

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, we currently have pieces of paper for Insurance, MoT and VED but to what extent to police rely on them these days? Aren't checks already undertaken using electronic databases?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Suppose I will have to dump all my collection of "Guiness" bottle lables... :Sad:::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The road fun licence /tax disc system has been working well now for a few years but the rest of DVLA is still a total liability and with the shutting of regional offices I suspect it will get far far worse. Recently had them trying to tell me I was not insured and issued a fine - I was of course but their wonderful system did not give them the correct answer. Having proved I was insured they sent a letter- not specifically apologising for false accusation but advising me they would no longer be pursuing the fine !!!! :Eeek:

[HI]Now it makes you question just how many times they send out such documents [/HI]- for me this is the fourth time in as many years when their information has been flawed on different points. I maintain DVLA is not fit for purpose

Personally we have never had any problems with DVLA so, using the same logic, that could be taken as evidence that they are totally fit for purpose :Smile:

I don't now the answer to the question of how many letters are wrongly issued but you may be able to find out using FoI. Also, it might be interesting to know the percentage of errors against total transactions. I suspect (though I don't know) that it would be low.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The DVLA technology is suspect.

I couldn't renew on line this year because my insurance was not appearing on their database. It was appearing on everyone else's but theirs. I suspect I could have been stopped by police in the period it took them to sort themselves out because the DVLA database said I wasn't insured.

I suspect the same will happen with this proposed change.:Doh:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Yes, we currently have pieces of paper for Insurance, MoT and VED but to what extent to police rely on them these days? Aren't checks already undertaken using electronic databases?

The paper evidence is a back up for when the Electronic systems go tits up.

I can think of at least one occasion when I have been stopped by the Police when their ANPR system identified my vehicle as having no VED. They looked at the Disc, did another check, apologised and sent me on my way.

As I said in my earlier post, in principal good but it does have it's drawbacks when relying solely on technology all the time.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
It will be interesting to see what difference it makes on the continent. I have never subscribed to the information often quoted by other posters that you need your vehicle excise licence when not using UK roads and have spent hours trawling the EU directives to find firstly evidence that the laws were made and secondly that they were adopted by the various member states.
So if DVLA release their database to the EU I will be very surprised.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The paper evidence is a back up for when the Electronic systems go tits up.

I can think of at least one occasion when I have been stopped by the Police when their ANPR system identified my vehicle as having no VED. They looked at the Disc, did another check, apologised and sent me on my way.

As I said in my earlier post, in principal good but it does have it's drawbacks when relying solely on technology all the time.

I don't carry my Insurance and MOT documents (in the car in the UK) so I don't have immediate proof of them if stopped ? But then the French display an Insurance disc and we don't.
All or nothing ?

Last edited:

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
When we fly, we download electronic boarding passes to our ipad. They will probably do something similar. Most folk have a 'smart' something or other that can carry proof. :thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp

The pieces of paper are the proof needed when they have a failure ( they seem to think they don't make mistakes)

If I did not have those pieces of paper which I could send copies of then I would have had the devils own job proving I was insured as obviously it failed to appear on their fool proof system

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It will be interesting to see what difference it makes on the continent. I have never subscribed to the information often quoted by other posters that you need your vehicle excise licence when not using UK roads and have spent hours trawling the EU directives to find firstly evidence that the laws were made and secondly that they were adopted by the various member states.

A lot of insurance companies will quote that the vehicle must be MOT and taxed in it's home country.... So If you did fail to obtain tax, technically not insured..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It is fair to say you will always have the opportunity to print a receipt for you ved payment and also your MoT when that eventually goes paperless
Geo
ps Graham im not aware of DVSA (Vosa) ever having cameras checking Tax Dics, thats not in their remit

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
apparently we will also be able to pay by monthly direct debit. makes sense all round really. I think the only reason dvla has been kept going this long is because so many work there and it would not be a good move politically to have them all on the dole. How many years has everyone been saying to scrap the road tax and put it on fuel then those that use it most, pay most.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can just imagine all those farmers etc in very rural areas who think of the great idea of simply SORNing the vehicle and then driving it around in the secure knowledge that hardly ever will they come across any ANPR system and the local bobby - sorry PCSO - either won't know any better or will care.

I suppose that the powers that be are aware of this and based their decisions on risk/reward.....

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I dont think checking tractors tax discs has ever been a very high priority so they will probably get away with it less now. I know if I had to choose between climbing up a muddy, possibly sh***y tractor to check the disc or just type the reg into my laptop I know which one I would go for::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
apparently we will also be able to pay by monthly direct debit. makes sense all round really. I think the only reason dvla has been kept going this long is because so many work there and it would not be a good move politically to have them all on the dole. How many years has everyone been saying to scrap the road tax and put it on fuel then those that use it most, pay most.

They listened, they put it on fuel:thumb:
They just forgot to take away the yearly subs:Doh:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Now it makes you question just how many times they send out such documents - for me this is the fourth time in as many years when their information has been flawed on different points. I maintain DVLA is not fit for purpose

Had it occurred to you that it was more than likely that your insurance company had not notified SWANSEA. I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SAGA. People are quick to blame DVLA. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Your vehicle needs to be SORN IF NOT TAXED. IF NOT SORN NEEDS TO BE SCRAPPED OR EXPORTED. What category does it fit in when abroad and not taxed ??? BUSBY::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
online taxing

There is one small flaw in all of this in that not everyone uses a computer, so a little thought in to how these people are going to get road tax.

We are definitely going down the road of the computer controlling everything, sadly they aren`t the most reliable of systems and machines, just look at RBS and Nat West earlier this week for a classic example.

Perhaps all that science fiction stuff will come true one day and machines will take over the world. mmmhhh :helpsos:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Had it occurred to you that it was more than likely that your insurance company had not notified SWANSEA. I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SAGA. People are quick to blame DVLA. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Yes and as DVLA already had a copy of the insurance certificate in their files as it was an imported vehicle in May this year it made them doubly incompetent. As I could find it MIT myself why could not they.?? One thing you need to realise is that as a business owner if I make a mistake with Tax/VAT/MOT/Insurance and any other thing that involves the government I am accountable and will pay dearly as they say I am not allowed to make mistakes. If they make a mistake its a glitch - a computer error or what ever and I then have to spend time and money proving I am innocent because of their incompetence. People are quick to blame DVLA because they are incompetent and not fit for purpose and prove it on a daily basis. Speak to anyone who has regular dealings with them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]There is one small flaw in all of this in that not everyone uses a computer, so a little thought in to how these people are going to get road tax.
[/HI]
We are definitely going down the road of the computer controlling everything, sadly they aren`t the most reliable of systems and machines, just look at RBS and Nat West earlier this week for a classic example.

Perhaps all that science fiction stuff will come true one day and machines will take over the world. mmmhhh :helpsos:

At the post office as now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is fair to say you will always have the opportunity to print a receipt for you ved payment and also your MoT when that eventually goes paperless
Geo
[HI]ps Graham im not aware of DVSA (Vosa) ever having cameras checking Tax Dics, thats not in their remit[/HI]

Did I say tax discs Geo? Sorry I meant number plates. It is VOSA who have those roadside camera checks isn't it?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Road tax was abolished in the 1970's when road tax hit £250 and extra duty was put on fuel instead as a "fairer" means of collecting tax. The tax disc was issued to show MOT and insurance documents had been checked. There was a charge of £5 to cover the cost checking documents and issuing a disc. What a rip off that has become sold down the bloody river again.
I have just taxed the motorhome after it had been on sorn for a month, I did it online and was told I can use it straight away so presumably non display is no longer an offence that is pursued?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Road tax was abolished in the 1970's when road tax hit £250 and extra duty was put on fuel instead as a "fairer" means of collecting tax. The tax disc was issued to show MOT and insurance documents had been checked. There was a charge of £5 to cover the cost checking documents and issuing a disc. What a rip off that has become sold down the bloody river again.
I have just taxed the motorhome after it had been on sorn for a month, I did it online and [HI]was told I can use it straight away so presumably non display is no longer an offence that is pursued[/HI]?
I assume that coming off SORN is now the same as taxing a brand new car - which can be used for up to 14 days without a disc.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I dont think checking tractors tax discs has ever been a very high priority so they will probably get away with it less now. I know if I had to choose between climbing up a muddy, possibly sh***y tractor to check the disc or just type the reg into my laptop I know which one I would go for::bigsmile:

Sorry, I think you missed the point. Loads of farmers use vehicles other than tractors to get around and go into the village or local small town. If they don't use a major route (think driving around rural wales or the fens) then the chances of being caught are almost zero

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Did I say tax discs Geo? Sorry I meant number plates. It is VOSA who have those roadside camera checks isn't it?

ANPR in vehicles is used by police, DVLA and VOSA. It will be interesting to see if the police fixed and mobile ANPR data is to be shared with DVLA in respect of not having a VEL.

It's also going to reduce crime in a number of ways, no more arrests for fraudulent use or theft of VEL.

When DVLA is eventually privatised, god help us if RBS win the contract.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back