Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just seen an article about the pods and how many are turning up as rubbish on land fill etc. I have a gaggia classic at home which uses ground coffee not pods and a stove top in the van. Just wondering why coffee needs to be packed in tiny plastic or foil pods when it can used as just ground beans without creating all the extra rubbish that must then be disposed of?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just seen an article about the pods and how many are turning up as rubbish on land fill etc. I have a gaggia classic at home which uses ground coffee not pods and a stove top in the van. Just wondering why coffee needs to be packed in tiny plastic or foil pods when it can used as just ground beans without creating all the extra rubbish that must then be disposed of?
I must admit we frequently say the same when using the pods. The machine we had which just used ground coffee, (can't remember the maker) simply didn't make the coffee hot enough.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
The idea is that when on EHU you simply put the tea bag in the cup and place that under the hot water spout of the machine so you get instant hot water in the right quantity and you don' t have to mess around with boiling a kettle.
Point taken but you have already had to mess around with the EHU and setting up the machine, plus you are paying for electricity! Kettle on the gas hob has to be the best bet all round.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Point taken but you have already had to mess around with the EHU and setting up the machine, plus you are paying for electricity! Kettle on the gas hob has to be the best bet all round.

If I am plugged in to EHU anyway for battery charging and running the fridge etc all I have to do is plug in the machine and fill it with water, switch on and job done. I wouldn't use the gas from my tank when already on EHU so the only time I would use a gas kettle is when no EHU available which is fine, best of both worlds.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are tea drinkers and coffee machines are no good for proper tea. It needs boiling water, not merely hot water. And you will find if you use your kettle on some continental sites and aires you may well find it trips out. You will be particularly unpopular if it also trips out all of your neighbours, which sometimes happens.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We are tea drinkers and coffee machines are no good for proper tea. It needs boiling water, not merely hot water. And you will find if you use your kettle on some continental sites and aires you may well find it trips out. You will be particularly unpopular if it also trips out all of your neighbours, which sometimes happens.

Thanks, I have a very low amp kettle which I have used over several years on aires and continental sites without a problem. The Tassimo works out at 5.4 amps so should be fine too.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Outch. Straight to the testicles. His eyes will be running for a long time.

I thought it was fair comment really. Especially as the post did not relate to the question in the thread and was no more than a negative comment. The poster has his preference and that's fine but just because another individuals choice is not understood it doesn't make it less valid.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I must admit we frequently say the same when using the pods. The machine we had which just used ground coffee, (can't remember the maker) simply didn't make the coffee hot enough.
Maybe you put milk in it. Coffee is not meant to have milk put in it.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Ahh, coffee is supposed to be made with water lower than boiling point, unlike tea

I have to say we never go any tainted flavour out of our Tassimo. We tend to use a bean to cup effort now, cost a fortune, but the coffee is spectacular

Although I reckon the Tassimo isn't bad. In Portugal we use a local variant, Delta Q, similar idea

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought it was fair comment really..

I was complimenting him on his aim.

Looks like I got away with my comment, when you declare you are nearly always hooked up it makes sense.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Cappuccino, bellissimo.
I think that is made with hot milk. Not sure as I only drink it black. The thing I don't understand with cappuccino is why you want to make coffee taste of chocolate by sprinkling it on top. I am very boring in my coffee preference though. No sugar and Can't be too strong or too black that's it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you think pods are a problem turn your mind instead to the cups and caps from coffee outlets as very few, if any, can be recycled .... how many of THOSE are used every single day I wonder ... its scandalous.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Erm..don't you pay for gas?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have skim read this thread, so forgive me if I am covering old ground! We have a Tassimo at home, makes very good coffee, excellent in my opinion, and I no longer use the kettle at home. In the van we have a Dolce Gusto mini me, I would say that the coffee quality is slightly better in the Dolce Gusto.
Not sure if I am comparing like for like though, the standard Americano for the Tassimo is the Costa brand, whereas it is proprietary on the Dolce. We use Kenco Americano smooth pods in the tassimo, and in the Dolce, the standard Americano. I much prefer my camper van coffee.
We picked up our Mini Me when it was on offer for £39.99 at Dyas, brilliant buy! And we would be without it, it runs OK on the inverter, since it only heats for a small amount of time, on EHU no problem :D

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have skim read this thread, so forgive me if I am covering old ground! We have a Tassimo at home, makes very good coffee, excellent in my opinion, and I no longer use the kettle at home. In the van we have a Dolce Gusto mini me, I would say that the coffee quality is slightly better in the Dolce Gusto.
Not sure if I am comparing like for like though, the standard Americano for the Tassimo is the Costa brand, whereas it is proprietary on the Dolce. We use Kenco Americano smooth pods in the tassimo, and in the Dolce, the standard Americano. I much prefer my camper van coffee.
We picked up our Mini Me when it was on offer for £39.99 at Dyas, brilliant buy! And we would be without it, it runs OK on the inverter, since it only heats for a small amount of time, on EHU no problem :D

Thank you for a helpful informative post.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a kettle and a teaspoon, jar of instant in the cupboard, pint of milk in the fridge cost sod all and doesn't weigh much either and can be used when not on EHU.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wouldn't criticise your choice
Awwwww ... go on ... we could do with a good 'spat' on here ... haven't had one for ages! :D2

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have a tassimo bedside at home - perfect for a wake up drink before getting out of bed... Perfect too for one cup of coffee, and a cup of tea for your bed partner - no sending anyone down to the kitchen :D.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a tassimo bedside at home - perfect for a wake up drink before getting out of bed... Perfect too for one cup of coffee, and a cup of tea for your bed partner - no sending anyone down to the kitchen :D.
Well for a wedding present we got a 'gobbling' Teasmade, she used to wake me up a long time before the tea was made, all that slurping and hissing, my wife hated it as it woke her as well. I quite liked it.!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have a kettle and a teaspoon, jar of instant in the cupboard, pint of milk in the fridge cost sod all and doesn't weigh much either and can be used when not on EHU.
We have that as emergency backup! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back