Tarn Gorge canoeing age limit (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
I'm off to the Tarn Gorge in August and want to do some canoeing near Ste Enimie

Has anyone been there and noticed an age limit? I want to go with my 6 year old and in my head I’m imagining a canoe with two 'seats'?

its not the end of the world if she cant do it - we'll go there anyway. Just want to know what i can promise

thanks russ

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Never promise, it usually ends in tears.

Have watched many people canoodling on various rivers here, all ages and sizes but have not needed to look at the rules and regs. As you may have noticed the French have a different approach to such things, far more caveat emptor than the Brits.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I made a few searches for you. Here is a site for canoeing at Sainte ENIMIE.

Here is the website of one of the places you can enjoy yourself. They say only condition is "you must be able to swim"

Now if you want, I can also phone the "office du tourisme" on Monday as closed today, unless of course you feel confident in french both to speak AND to understand the answers.
Here is their phone number. You can ask anything you need to know there.

04 66 45 01 14 that's from France. From the UK you must dial 0033466450114

Hope it helps

Amicalement

Frankie;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if she can swim i would think you willl be fine depending on the water levels it can be quite exhilarating in places

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
hire companies.

That's what I gave to the OP. For this one, you just need to be able to swim. They give the rules given by their insurers BAM. In any case it has to be written on their leaflet when you actually hire

Steve Taylor

Free Member
Jul 7, 2010
Greatstone on Sea, Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2009
You will likely find that there are no real "rules" that are enforced, the nanny state doesn't seem to exist there. Having gone down a section myself as an absolute beginner (nobody cared) I would suggest that you do it alone first and evaluate the risk for yourself, I enjoyed it, capsized a few times, was sometimes very worried, but I made it and would do it again. I wouldn't take my grandaughter though...

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Not done the Tarn , but when I canoed down the Ardeche , I was not asked about being able to swim , they were very poor on instructions etc , onll said I had to where a lifejacket which they supplied . They said we would be picked by a driver and returned to the start , but didn't give me any clue as to where the pick up point was . after canoeing for quite a while we (thats me and my mate) passed several canoe stops , none signed , eventually we came across
half a dosen canoes in similar colours to ours , so stopped no signs nothing , pure chance 30 mins later a guy came along to pick us up.
WATCH OUT for the white water sections , there was 3 our our part of the Ardeche ( not warned about them ) on the the third one , I came a real cropper .
But still here today thanks to the lifejacket !!

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
thats great, thanks to all (especially Frankie). I will have a look when i get there, as i say its not a big problem if we dont do it. I'm sure there will be plenty to fill in 2 days. Cant wait to go - we're off to camping les sablons for a week after that

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
russ the rambler I had a text message this morning at 7.35 (strange hour to contact someone BTW! Some people sleep at this time of day.. Not me though!)
Here it is in French firstly

Chère Madame. Merci de nous avoir contacté. (BTW here contacté should have an "s" at the end.... but this a difficult rule that only half of us know and understand!:giggle:)
L'âge limite pour les enfants en fonction du niveau de la rivière est de 4 ans.
Je suis à votre disposition. Muriel Canoë Méjean

Dear Madam. Thanks you for contacting us. The age limit for the children, depending on the river's level is 4 years old. I remain at your disposal. Muriel Canoë Méjean.

Amicalement
Frankie

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As a suggestion go to a local canoe club who run pool sessions, you will find it will give your daughter confidence for capsize and help develop self rescue skills.......even for a 6 year old in a nice warm fun Enviroment.

OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
Awesome stuff - Frankie, you've gone above and beyond there. Thanks again.

i will have a look at canoe lessons. Originally i was looking for 'tubing', much less skill involved with that, but i couldnt find any in tarn gorge and we've booked the site now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back