Targus AC Notebook Power Adapter. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Link Removed are selling the Targus universal laptop power adapter for £24.95.. normal price for this is unit around £62 ..

Suitable for all major notebooks including Apple :thumb:

I picked one up yesterday to use on my G4 PowerBook..

Quote:
The Targus AC Notebook Power Adapter is the ideal portable power solution for mobile users. Utilising an intelligent tip system, this power adapter is compatible with all major notebook brands and will provide up to 70W continuous power. Combined with the optional Accessory Powering System, users can simultaneously charge or power their mobile phone or PDA.

2escapees

Deleted User
DELL OWNERS BEWARE!

It might not work for your laptop and you could do damage both to the computer and your wallet!:Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
DELL OWNERS BEWARE!

It might not work for your laptop and you could do damage both to the computer and your wallet!:Eeek:

Hi ..

can you expand on this, do you have a link or personal experience, this unit has Dell on it's list of suitable notebooks.. if what you say is correct Targus should be contacted..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
There are a few laptops which run off 19 or 20v at 5 or 6 amps. These would probably not work off a 70 W supply.

Phil.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are a few laptops which run off 19 or 20v at 5 or 6 amps. These would probably not work off a 70 W supply.

Phil.

Indeed, always check before purchasing.. a full list of compatible notebooks is on the Targus site.

My 17" PowerBook is 24.5v x 2.65A = ~ 65 watt.

Apple power supplies are expensive and notorious for breaking, the power cord to the laptop is particularly vulnerable where it exits the adaptor.

2escapees

Deleted User
Phil got there first my new Dell is 19.5v and 6.7 amps I make that 130 watts!

But Jim is right check the Targus website, if it works for you it is a good deal!

:thumb:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I don't know how they do it but some Dell laptops (notably Inspiron) can detect if the power adapter is a genuine Dell part or not. If it isn't a Dell adapter it will power the laptop but won't charge. They can also detect the wattage of their own adapters and run in power saving mode if it's one of the low power adapters. They also run some weiird plugs, we've got a couple of types but the new ones are completely unique which no-one has copied yet.
Check the wattage of the mains adapter, it'll have the output voltage and amperage printed on. Simply multiply the two together to get the wattage. Provided your new adapter matches or exceeds this you'll be ok. Power adapters put out the stated voltage plus or minus 5 percent. In these circumstances we recommend trying them on the voltage below. I.e. 19.5v works fine on 19v setting.
Jim, if you'd still like a spare adapter let me know and I'll put one in the post for you.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Doug

Im going to return the Targus for a refund .. obviously not up to the job even though it's rated 15 - 24v at 70 watt.

My 17" PowerBook is 24.5v x 2.65A = ~ 65 watt,

If you can post tomorrow I will call you tonight with my card details..
I think the Tip required is G - 9mm ?

Many thanks

Jim

Edit
Doug, I have placed an order, on your on line store .

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I don't know how they do it but some Dell laptops (notably Inspiron) can detect if the power adapter is a genuine Dell part or not. If it isn't a Dell adapter it will power the laptop but won't charge. They can also detect the wattage of their own adapters and run in power saving mode if it's one of the low power adapters. They also run some weiird plugs, we've got a couple of types but the new ones are completely unique which no-one has copied yet.
Check the wattage of the mains adapter, it'll have the output voltage and amperage printed on. Simply multiply the two together to get the wattage. Provided your new adapter matches or exceeds this you'll be ok. Power adapters put out the stated voltage plus or minus 5 percent. In these circumstances we recommend trying them on the voltage below. I.e. 19.5v works fine on 19v setting.
Jim, if you'd still like a spare adapter let me know and I'll put one in the post for you.

Regards
Doug

The Dell adaptors use the thin centre pin as a data connect/transfer pin to a chipset in the laptop.

Result is, no data transfer/no charging and the cpu runs at a slower speed with a message on the screen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back