Tap Leaking When Other Taps Opened (1 Viewer)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
As the title.

If I turn any other tap on, the kitchen tap leaks water and it's getting worse. I've turned the tap firmly off but still water comes out.

I thought about removing the microswitch but I'm guessing this is more of a plumbing issue than an electrical one?

Any thoughts or comments would be happily received.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry I know nowt about plumbing but great to see you posting , how are you and your travels?(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Probably just something as simple as a tap washer.

With a MH system when you turn on any tap the pump runs and so pressurises the whole system.

It sounds like your kitchen tap isn't sealing well enough to be able to withstand the pressure any more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Sounds like the tap washers have gone something I've never seen before in 25 years of caravanning - Duff microswitches every few years yes

not sure how you would dismantle the taps so over to someone who has done this before

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they dont have tap washers like old fashioned house taps. they are assemled with a plastic valve and o ring seals. when they start leaking like that they need replacing or in some cases a new valve insert. depends on which make is used

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they dont have tap washers like old fashioned house taps. they are assemled with a plastic valve and o ring seals. when they start leaking like that they need replacing or in some cases a new valve insert. depends on which make is used

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Does the kitchen tap work normally when needed?

we had something similar when we first got our current MH, couldn't get the kitchen tap to work unless I also turned on another tap

ours is a drop down tap that has to be clicked down in position for the tap to work, but if left nearly down doesn't work, but leaks like yours if another tap is used, not good if cover is on sink o_O

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sounds like a broken micro switch

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I don't think it's the microswitch. The tap works as it should. It's only when another tap is opened that it leaks. And yes, it's a low profile, under the kitchen worktop tap which makes things a little more challenging.

Reading your replies I think it's likely the tap has failed and will need to be replaced. I'm off to Camperserve next week so will see if they have one in stock.

Thanks all for your help.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As already said, with a microswitched system, when any tap is turned on the pump is activated.
It is a faulty kitchen tap and nowt to do with the electickery / switching side of things

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As already said, with a microswitched system, when any tap is turned on the pump is activated.
It is a faulty kitchen tap and nowt to do with the electickery / switching side of things
Wot John sez. No pump no leak, start pump from anywhere it leaks. (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We had a mixer tap leak a couple of years back due to frost damage that had cracked the ceramic insert. I think a replacement Reich cartridge was around a tenner.
Even when drained down for winter, we isolate the pump at the panel and leave all the taps in the "on" position now to prevent a recurrence.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, it's definitely the tap. And now it's worse!

This morning I tried to screw the jubilee clip tighter in an effort to stem the flow and succeeded in cracking the blue plastic that goes into the hose.

Last night I had a small leak - this morning I have a full flood!

No water from the taps for me until I get a new one next week. Good job I managed a shower before my DIY efforts!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back