Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
Has anyone solved a problem of rattling and vibration from a tambour door? The toilet door on my Autocruise Jazz makes a terrific racket on rough road surfaces, and until I solve that, I won't be able to identify the many other sources of noise and vibration! All ideas gratefully received.
Thanks,
Mike

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hello and welcome to fun. Friends of ours used polystyrene packing foam shapes as wedges, jammed top and bottom of door. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The posher version of our motorhome has a velcro strap to fasten the tambour door back when travelling (chausson welcome 510)

David

OP
OP
H

honkytonkpiano

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
The posher version of our motorhome has a velcro strap to fasten the tambour door back when travelling (chausson welcome 510)

David
Thanks, David. Would it be possible to post images showing where and how the vecro strap has secured the door, please?
Best regards,
Mike

OP
OP
H

honkytonkpiano

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
Hello and welcome to fun. Friends of ours used polystyrene packing foam shapes as wedges, jammed top and bottom of door. Hope this helps.
I've also tried door wedges and even a rubber sink drainage mat. The latter made a little bit of a difference, but I am concerned that I migh eventually make the doors curve a bit. I just wish Autocruise had used an ordinary sliding door: this tambour door doesn't go round any corners, so it seems a bit overkill for a straight run.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I see what you mean. The one I've seen with wedges is curved. I've also noticed a van with the Velcro strap to hold it back. The strap was fixed to the hinge side of door and held the door shut.

I'm wondering about a cheap sleeping camping bed roll thing, as the sink mat worked for you. You maybe could cut a long strip to cushion the door when shut?

If you manage to come along to a meet, we could all have a look and scratch our heads with you!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i solved this issue on a previous van by fitting 2 elasticated straps, one 6inches down from the top, the other 6inches up from the bottom. i used a self tapping screw and a washer to hold to the inside edge of the door and a larger pan headed screw on the outside door frame. the tighter you can get it, the less it rattles. I would prefer to see a bifold door than a tambour one on the bathroom. they really arent ideal in a motorhome, but the designers rarely use their products.

the other problem we had was on 2 occassions the door jumped out of its runners and jammed half open. its a right pain to put right when you can only reach one side of the door

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back