Tambour doors rattling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by honkytonkpiano, Jun 8, 2014.

1. honkytonkpiano

honkytonkpiano

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone solved a problem of rattling and vibration from a tambour door? The toilet door on my Autocruise Jazz makes a terrific racket on rough road surfaces, and until I solve that, I won't be able to identify the many other sources of noise and vibration! All ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. simply

simply

Ratings:
    +193
    Rattles

Earplugs!?
    :Doh:

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,831
    Hello and welcome to fun. Friends of ours used polystyrene packing foam shapes as wedges, jammed top and bottom of door. Hope this helps.

4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +5,474
    I close mine when travelling and it's fine !

5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +4,008
    The posher version of our motorhome has a velcro strap to fasten the tambour door back when travelling (chausson welcome 510)

David

6. honkytonkpiano

honkytonkpiano

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, David. Would it be possible to post images showing where and how the vecro strap has secured the door, please?
    Best regards,
    Mike

7. honkytonkpiano

honkytonkpiano

Ratings:
    +0
    Turning the radio up louder would also help but that's really intended as a solution for rattles in a company car...

8. honkytonkpiano

honkytonkpiano

Ratings:
    +0
    I've also tried door wedges and even a rubber sink drainage mat. The latter made a little bit of a difference, but I am concerned that I migh eventually make the doors curve a bit. I just wish Autocruise had used an ordinary sliding door: this tambour door doesn't go round any corners, so it seems a bit overkill for a straight run.

9. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,831
    I see what you mean. The one I've seen with wedges is curved. I've also noticed a van with the Velcro strap to hold it back. The strap was fixed to the hinge side of door and held the door shut.

I'm wondering about a cheap sleeping camping bed roll thing, as the sink mat worked for you. You maybe could cut a long strip to cushion the door when shut?

If you manage to come along to a meet, we could all have a look and scratch our heads with you!

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,339
    i solved this issue on a previous van by fitting 2 elasticated straps, one 6inches down from the top, the other 6inches up from the bottom. i used a self tapping screw and a washer to hold to the inside edge of the door and a larger pan headed screw on the outside door frame. the tighter you can get it, the less it rattles. I would prefer to see a bifold door than a tambour one on the bathroom. they really arent ideal in a motorhome, but the designers rarely use their products.

the other problem we had was on 2 occassions the door jumped out of its runners and jammed half open. its a right pain to put right when you can only reach one side of the door

• Like it Like it x 1