Tambour bathroom door? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Hi, we are having a PVC bespoke conversion done next year and wondering about a tambour bathroom door, has anyone experience of these, do they rattle on the road, any other disadvantages?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have one in my PVC - I like it and no problems in 9 years until partner left a high cupboard open and the contents shot out on a bend and knocked it off its upper track. We left it until we got home and then had it put back. With decent tools we could probably have done it while travelling but I was worried about damaging it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have the need to have a flexible door to go round a curve and straight area, or roll into itself, then a tambour wins hands down, however if you just want one that just takes up less space when opened than a hinged door consider a panel sliding door instead, one advantage of the latter is that you can actually attach hooks etc to the rear to hang towels etc on and leave them in situ something I wouldn't do with a tambour 'plastic' door, also you can put a mirror on if you want to.

As for longevity, I know the tambour doors have been used for a long time but they do rely on lots of rollers which may wear over time and need odd ones replacing, whereas a panel door doesn't usually need so many so not so much of a faff. Oh, a flat panel door is easier to keep clean than a tambour one which can be a b*gger to get the fingerprints off ... I speak from experience of trying to remove hubby's paw prints! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have all tambour doors in my self build,and the bathroom one is spot on, no rattles n problems and will use the same in my next build.No rollers or anything to worry about ,simply slides in the track,a little spray of silicon once in a while to help it glide smoothly. No negatives in my view.
20201116_131417.jpg
20201116_131629.jpg

20201116_131720.jpg

Hope this is some help.
Cheers Cris.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Tambour door shower room. Stumbled into it and some of the sections came out,took off the top runner ( Now this is where you need three hands) fed it back in and screwed the top runner back into place. Good as new and allways run with it shut,so no rattles.
Tea Bag

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think tambour doors should be fine. They do need to slide somewhere and there is a maximum size of bend that they will turn around, so take that into consideration in the design. Should not rattle, but I'd consider how the bottom track will be kept clean.

BuilderBob

Free Member
Apr 29, 2017
nn297tl
Funster No
MH
E745 Bessacar
Exp
12yrs
Another positive vote, just fitted one to my self build shower room, very pleased with it, neat and tidy, doesn't open up into the walkway, also, it eliminates the need for a shower curtain, which personally I can't stand.
I used Tambourline and found them helpful, just ordered a second one for a cupboard.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Our Dethleffs has one and at first we were sceptical but can say they are brilliant and whilst its open it makes the gangway thru a lot better and not so enclosed.

OP
OP
J
Dec 23, 2012
colchester
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
40 yrs
Thanks everyone your comments most helpful loved those super photos pugsy. Pleased not many rattled which was our main concern.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our last van had a tambour and the current one has a solid hinged door. I prefer the tambour as with the solid door the person in the loo has to ask if there is space to open it.

I'd also have a look at the "hideaway" system Adria (maybe others?) are using as it can give more space. Cleaning the tracks can be an issue but I found a toothbrush with microfibre cloth on the none brush end a useful tool.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I have all tambour doors in my self build,and the bathroom one is spot on, no rattles n problems and will use the same in my next build.No rollers or anything to worry about ,simply slides in the track,a little spray of silicon once in a while to help it glide smoothly. No negatives in my view.
View attachment 441150View attachment 441151
View attachment 441152

Hope this is some help.
Cheers Cris.

that looks great (y) what is the pebble flooring mat you’ve used, it looks good(y)

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
that looks great (y) what is the pebble flooring mat you’ve used, it looks good(y)
Hi, it comes on a roll in most diy shops in the uk,used for shower trays and is cut into the size you require,they all have different designs available.That pebble mat was bought in a chinese supermarket in southern Spain.

Cheers Cris.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Hi, it comes on a roll in most diy shops in the uk,used for shower trays and is cut into the size you require,they all have different designs available.That pebble mat was bought in a chinese supermarket in southern Spain.

Cheers Cris.

thanks(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back