Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, Can you tell me exactly where you are overnighting in Keighley. Looks great and would be useful for us when visiting MIL.
Sure. I'm here
Screenshot_20191202-170636_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20191202-170647_park4night.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don't know,,my Jack Russel used to do that indoors but if I got her lead out she would happily walk outside in snowy and icy weather without shivering at all,,she would even swim in the canal when it was freezing..Fox's have no bother in the coldest of weather..Think dogs do the shivering to get spoilt..BUSBY??
Aye they are fine when out for a walk too but then I suppose they are active then ....like us I suppose they get cold just sitting about

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My girl Jack Russell has a swim nearly every day as wife walks them around the harbour near where we live, boy Jack Russell only goes in when it’s warm and calm.
They have a quilt that they dive under when they go to bed and most times I come down at 6 ish in the morning and they are still under there?

Think most domestic dogs like to snuggle up in the warm.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've not tried it yet , not sure how much gas it would get through
I've always done it so I don't know either. Not enough to be an inconvenience that's for sure. My latest has Alde which is much easier to use - I can have night-time set-back between the hours I choose. That facility plus an accurate thermostat means I only need to change anything if parked at home for more than a few days. So now I turn it on when I leave home & don't touch it again until I return. There's a Diesel pre-heat for the engine & the engine cooling system is linked to the CH via a heat exchanger so everything is toasty within a mile or two of leaving home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My girl Jack Russell has a swim nearly every day as wife walks them around the harbour near where we live, boy Jack Russell only goes in when it’s warm and calm.
They have a quilt that they dive under when they go to bed and most times I come down at 6 ish in the morning and they are still under there?

Think most domestic dogs like to snuggle up in the warm.
I have two Whippets. With no under-fur and a light covering they hate cold. Or rain. If I don't cover them they try to dig a den into whatever they're sitting on. The other dog - a Vizsla - has more fur but still not much. His party trick is to pick up a seat cover then rotate until he looks like a cloth Mr Whippy. Then he sort-of flops down & goes to sleep.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've always done it so I don't know either. Not enough to be an inconvenience that's for sure. My latest has Alde which is much easier to use - I can have night-time set-back between the hours I choose. That facility plus an accurate thermostat means I only need to change anything if parked at home for more than a few days. So now I turn it on when I leave home & don't touch it again until I return. There's a Diesel pre-heat for the engine & the engine cooling system is linked to the CH via a heat exchanger so everything is toasty within a mile or two of leaving home.
Aye yours is a far more modern sophisticated system than mine. Mine is a truma it doesn't have a timer etc so can only set it by thermostat , unfortunately as I've a draughty oven it would be flicking on and off all night
At the minute I get about a week from one bottle of gas 11kg
That's with fridge , cooking and about 5 or 6 hours of heating a night.
Once in bed I'm cosy enough so dont really need it on at night

I think the fan heater I've bought is thermostat controlled too.

I need to come up with an idea to insulate around my oven though as I lose a lot of heat through that

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tam

Most of the gas is used to get the MH interior up to set temperature, including all the furniture and fittings which will absorb heat. Once it is all at that temperature the amount of gas to maintain it is much less.

If you turn it off at night then in the morning you have to start the process all over again, albeit from a slightly warmer base than from stone cold.

At night you could set the thermostat slightly lower than daytime.

Geoff

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Just a thought, if you don't have the heating on overnight, is there a chance of the water dump valve opening?

I ask as that's my fear, so I leave my heating on low overnight. If that doesn't happen then I might turn mine off too...

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam

Most of the gas is used to get the MH interior up to set temperature, including all the furniture and fittings which will absorb heat. Once it is all at that temperature the amount of gas to maintain it is much less.

If you turn it off at night then in the morning you have to start the process all over again, albeit from a slightly warmer base than from stone cold.

At night you could set the thermostat slightly lower than daytime.

Geoff
Yes but as I mentioned above I have a lot of draught comes in around my oven so the heating struggles to maintain temperature so it cuts off and on every few minutes.

Once I reduce the vent size on the oven it might improve ....bad design

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just a thought, if you don't have the heating on overnight, is there a chance of the water dump valve opening?

I ask as that's my fear, so I leave my heating on low overnight. If that doesn't happen then I might turn mine off too...
I switch heating off but hot water heater is on 24/7 and has been since September.

That stops the boiler from dumping

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Tam, is it a Tech Tower type oven you have?, you know the crappy one that sits on top of the FF and vents through the roof? also do you have the winter vent covers for the Fridge Freezer, if so fit them it does make a difference.
If you have a normal oven under worktop, then how is it vented outside?, the usual flexi ali tube chimney or what?
Like you I cant stand draughts, guess you would never have notice whilst in warmer climes.
LES

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, is it a Tech Tower type oven you have?, you know the crappy one that sits on top of the FF and vents through the roof? also do you have the winter vent covers for the Fridge Freezer, if so fit them it does make a difference.
If you have a normal oven under worktop, then how is it vented outside?, the usual flexi ali tube chimney or what?
Like you I cant stand draughts, guess you would never have notice whilst in warmer climes.
LES
Not a tech tower but a similar idea , my oven is above the fridge freezer but has a fridge size vent on the outside wall above the fridge and a 10mm gap around the face of the oven so you get lots of draughts.

Same oven on my frankia had a round pipe from rear to a truma style vent which was much better.
A winter cover on the vent would maybe help , but also thinking about putting heat resistant Matt between the sides of oven etc.

It's a daft design and seems to be standard on this model of hymer.

You can see in this pic ....the top vent is for the oven the other 2 for the fridge freezer
20191203_155509.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Interesting Tam, I haven't noticed the three vent method on any van as yet.
Can you get covers for the smaller oven one I wonder?, and like the FF winter covers, maybe it can be used in place in the winter?. then again maybe thats probably not safe and contravenes the Gas Regs as it would restrict the flue too much.?
Others will know no doubt.
Although not draught related, there was a thread on here recently about heat proofing above the oven on Carthago's to stop the heat melting the sat nav & solar cabling, using various forms of cement based insulating sheet. This method could be used for draught proofing as well I guess
However, In terms of heat proofing, or at least reducing the heat in the air space above it had mixed results, so venting at the front above the oven was the answer to that problem, I think.
LES

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Interesting Tam, I haven't noticed the three vent method on any van as yet.
Can you get covers for the smaller oven one I wonder?, and like the FF winter covers, maybe it can be used in place in the winter?. then again maybe thats probably not safe and contravenes the Gas Regs as it would restrict the flue too much.?
Others will know no doubt.
Although not draught related, there was a thread on here recently about heat proofing above the oven on Carthago's to stop the heat melting the sat nav & solar cabling, using various forms of cement based insulating sheet. This method could be used for draught proofing as well I guess
However, In terms of heat proofing, or at least reducing the heat in the air space above it had mixed results, so venting at the front above the oven was the answer to that problem, I think.
LES
Unfortunately between the vent and then the vents around the actual oven its freezing when wind blows ....the vent you see above and around the oven here
Screenshot_20191203-190011_eBay.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I'm never sure why the oven needs a vent at all, you don't have a vent or flue on your oven at home.
Agree with Lenny, I don't think any of these hymers had an oven as standard spec.
I have same oven as you and mines crafty too but at floor level.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
As you say Tam, you will have to get in for a closer look by taking the high vent cover off outside & that front vent inside also. If there is a gap behind the FF all the way up to the top oven vent then that would act as a chimney for cold draughts. :cold:
Hopefully there will be a divider up there somewhere to separate the two FF vents from the top oven one to stop that.?
Bit disappointed for you, as it can hardy be called a fully winterised setup for the hab area, even if the double floor protect the pipes and tanks eh?

OH TinaL, feels the cold in winter, so I do leave the heating on 24 hours, when we go away for Xmas & new year. Night time set at 16/18 degrees, daytime 21/22, showers everyday, hot water left on ECO, set to hot 20 mins before showers we use one 11KG in 6/7 days, second one is turned off as emergency reserve on a Truma 6E, so far without external silver screens (we must get soon)
I guess its true as others have mentioned that once the van, its cupboards, and everything in it has warmed through,even all the stuff in the rear garage gets toasty it takes less gas to keep it topped up.
Cheaper than keeping a house warm thats for sure.
LES

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As you say Tam, you will have to get in for a closer look by taking the high vent cover off outside & that front vent inside also. If there is a gap behind the FF all the way up to the top oven vent then that would act as a chimney for cold draughts. :cold:
Hopefully there will be a divider up there somewhere to separate the two FF vents from the top oven one to stop that.?
Bit disappointed for you, as it can hardy be called a fully winterised setup for the hab area, even if the double floor protect the pipes and tanks eh?

OH TinaL, feels the cold in winter, so I do leave the heating on 24 hours, when we go away for Xmas & new year. Night time set at 16/18 degrees, daytime 21/22, showers everyday, hot water left on ECO, set to hot 20 mins before showers we use one 11KG in 6/7 days, second one is turned off as emergency reserve on a Truma 6E, so far without external silver screens (we must get soon)
I guess its true as others have mentioned that once the van, its cupboards, and everything in it has warmed through,even all the stuff in the rear garage gets toasty it takes less gas to keep it topped up.
Cheaper than keeping a house warm thats for sure.
LES
Yeah theres a divider between the fridge vents and the oven its sealed off so you dont get fumes from the fridge.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm never sure why the oven needs a vent at all, you don't have a vent or flue on your oven at home.
Two reasons, the oven is in a confined space the inside of a Motorhome has a fraction of the volume of air & airflow that a house has. Also there to extract some of the heat build up that could damage the surrounding woodwork.

Last edited:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
HI Tam

My oven is the same. When i was up at Exeter Racecourse site for the summer, the wind blew through the oven, and out through the exctactor fan. Unless the wind changed, in which case i blew a gale the other way....
Not so bad here on a more sheltered site, but if you find a solution please let me know. I hate draughts, and hoed this would be a bit better insulated than my previous van. It is, but there are still major draughts.

I don't have external screens, have you noticed a difference since you fitted yours? Well jealous by the way.

I have also been meaning to ask you if you still have the big table, or if you have changed it? I have been wondering whether to take it out before i head south in January. It takes up a lot of room, and just acts as a dumping ground.

Karen

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
HI Tam

My oven is the same. When i was up at Exeter Racecourse site for the summer, the wind blew through the oven, and out through the exctactor fan. Unless the wind changed, in which case i blew a gale the other way....
Not so bad here on a more sheltered site, but if you find a solution please let me know. I hate draughts, and hoed this would be a bit better insulated than my previous van. It is, but there are still major draughts.

I don't have external screens, have you noticed a difference since you fitted yours? Well jealous by the way.

I have also been meaning to ask you if you still have the big table, or if you have changed it? I have been wondering whether to take it out before i head south in January. It takes up a lot of room, and just acts as a dumping ground.

Karen
Well I plan to try heat shield insulation packed around the oven and either a vent cover or blanking off some of the vent ...will let you know how it turns out.

Silver screens definitely make a big difference in the van . My main draughts are the oven and the cheapo mkp roof vent in the bathroom which I plan to change.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My main draughts are the oven and the cheapo mkp roof vent in the bathroom which I plan to change.
The older Hymers didn't have much in the way of permanent ventilation unless you have much else in the way of permanent ventilation I wouldn't change the rooflight it's doing its job.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The older Hymers didn't have much in the way of permanent ventilation unless you have much else in the way of permanent ventilation I wouldn't change the rooflight it's doing its job.
It also means the bathroom is freezing though lol.
Plus they break easy I'd rather fit a vented heki or fiamma model

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back