Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Has anyone else had this over the top customs search when entering france?

I got stopped when I entered france from spain by 3 customs guys who searched the van but like 10 minutes and I was on my way

This time though not so lucky .....just crossed the border on the motorway sat at 60mph on cruise control ...next minute car right on my ass blue lights and siren going...then he pulls level points to the roof of his car pulls in front and I'm getting a " customs follow us " message

So I followed him off the next slip road......about 2 miles down a quiet road and then in to a practically deserted industrial estate ...

Again 3 guys.....got interrogated where I'd been , where I was before then , how many days , where I was going etc
Any tobacco , alcohol , drugs

Answered no just 3 bottles of wine , no drugs no cash etc etc

They then asked me to get out the van with dogs on lead ....left me outside with one of them and the other 2 proceeded to go in the van themselves and ransack it

25 minutes they were in there

They've broke the catch on my freezer, ran water all over the floor because the obviously knocked the tap and theres a lid on the sink

They pulled all my clothes out the overhead lockers and left them in a pile on my bed

Squirted shampoo shower gel and suncream in my sink they've been in my wallet which was in a cupboard ,

Went round everything with swabs and cotton buds including the button for the step which caused it to close a bit then they stood on it which gave a mighty crack so I'm not sure if they've damaged underneath with that .....they've left my van in a right mess

While they were doing this another british van an old eldiss came in following a motorbike and another customs car and he was still getting the same treatment when I left

So is it true that they are targeting british Van's and going over the top because I think that was way over the top I've never been searched like that even at the ports and I'm raging for the mess they've made

I actually feel like I've been burgled

They were even in my soap bag Oh Please!

In the uk you wouldn't fear searvhed by the police like that without a warrant and they wouldn't have kept me outside where they could have done god knows what

I don't think it's right

Has anyone else had this ?

i had the same once when coming off the ferry at Dover, pulled me into a warehouse and pulled my car apart...

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe a disgruntled Belgian gave them a tip-off? :whistle2:
There hasn't been any disgruntled Belgians
Even the guy who complained about the engine was fine once I explained to him
And he was pleasant the next day when I bumped in to him at that aire

I just think they were over the top ...and my step isnt right they've bent one of the bars and soaked my floor and the sliding catch for my freezer is broke.

I wonder if theres any point in emailing French customs and making a complaint

I don't think that's acceptable

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just a thought but you have crossed the border a few times in a relatively short period of time. Most countries have camera surveillance, maybe you were flagged as suspicious?
Not through france though I mean I crossed from Spain end of September and then in to Belgium 3 weeks ago

Most folks holidays in a motorhome are only a few weeks

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sounds a bit OTT Tam. Try an email with photos of the mess if you've taken any.
Hard to show damage to door clip though it's the wee plastic tab that holds the metal clip that's broken

And with step its bent something but you only notice it because now one side can move 2 inches but the other cant :(

The last guys asked me to open things so they could look ....these clowns have been too heavy handed.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
There was something about this in motorhome chat a few days ago Tam,(people on the motorway being signalled to pull over and follow a vehicle off the motorway for a police search). Sorry, with my lack of short term memory I can't be more specific than that, but I'm sure someone on here will remember it/get back to you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had any problems at all in 40 years when stopped at the ports only a cursory glance in the garage or in the washroom.
When I was on my todd in May went across French/Belgium borders several times in a couple of days but that was on backroads.

Your treatment sounds a bit OTT I would definitely complain, probably won't get anywhere but at least you have made your point.
Could be because of the time of year, they tend to have a clamp down on tobbaco smuggling.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have to admit drying the inside of the windscreen every morning is a pain

It's a bath towel and squeegee job at the minute

I'll have to do something about my mirrors though as they've been bodged which I think is because they are broken

Tam

We bought a Kaercher vacuum window cleaner which sucks up the condensation into a small reservoir and runs off a re-chargeable battery. We clear our even bigger screen in a minute or two and no drips into the scuttle if you are careful.

We then finish it off with a quick wipe with a mock shammy.

Buy one, then one more problem solved. About £30-40

Geoff

[EDIT wrote this in answer to your post above about condensation before I got down to the posts about being searched and damage done.

Not acceptable. Did you get their badge numbers? Take their photos?

I am sorry for you for that bad experience]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Never had any problems at all in 40 years when stopped at the ports only a cursory glance in the garage or in the washroom.
When I was on my todd in May went across French/Belgium borders several times in a couple of days but that was on backroads.

Your treatment sounds a bit OTT I would definitely complain, probably won't get anywhere but at least you have made your point.
Could be because of the time of year, they tend to have a clamp down on tobbaco smuggling.
Yeah I'm not sure I'd get anywhere either ...they probably just say that's their job.
And proving the damage would be hard ...I'm just pissed off at them for it.
Tam

We bought a Kaercher vacuum window cleaner which sucks up the condensation into a small reservoir and runs off a re-chargeable battery. We clear our even bigger screen in a minute or two and no drips into the scuttle if you are careful.

We then finish it off with a quick wipe with a mock shammy.

Buy one, then one more problem solved. About £30-40

Geoff

[EDIT wrote this in answer to your post above about condensation before I got down to the posts about being searched and damage done.

Not acceptable. Did you get their badge numbers? Take their photos?

I am sorry for you for that bad experience]
I didn't get badge numbers, I couldn't even tell you where it was they stopped me or searched the van ....its one of those things that was so surreal when it was happening I just did what they said ...it was only when they left and i had cleaned up the water and put clothes back in cupboards etc.
I had initially drove away and was about 5 minutes later I stopped to go find my wallet as it was in a cupboard and I thought shot they could have taken that etc . That's when I found the freezer catch as door was open.
I'd heard the noise of the step when they came out but hadn't checked it either till I stopped.

I dunno i was kind of in a state of shock of what just happened

It's not like any search I've had done on a camper before.....totally disrespectful of my property and really felt like I'd committed some crime

I was physically shaking with anger by the time I'd seen the extent of it

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I know it’s annoying but I don’t think they deliberately damaged your step or fridge & certainly didn’t deliberately knock the tap on , they were just plods & didn’t understand motorhomes
don’t let it get under your skin , you’ll only work your self up & resolve nothing
try and chill ,take the good with the bad as it’s all part of the adventure

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I know from previous experience if it's a grey slide over with a tiny little hook of metal to lock it, ? it costs a fortune for what it is, If I remember right there's a hole on the door and I put a small screwdriver in it to stop the door from coming open. ? Bob.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know from previous experience if it's a grey slide over with a tiny little hook of metal to lock it, ? it costs a fortune for what it is, If I remember right there's a hole on the door and I put a small screwdriver in it to stop the door from coming open. ? Bob.
Yep that's the one ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sounds like a horrible experience Tam, very frightening I can see why it left you shaking, the way it was carried out, the fact that you had to remain outside the van while they searched through every personal item without asking you to open and show them seems a bit over the top.
Its becoming more obvious each year the the drugs problem has become so rife now that they do swab tests on everyone's steering wheels at the ports etc. It was bad enough at airports when they swabbed all your luggage looking for drug or traces of explosives, removing shoes, belts, then also being frisked sometimes.
I suppose they must try and make a stand against the many drug cartels that are operating in Europe, I think I read that many originate from Roumania, and they are earning millions subbing out the distribution to unsuspecting/naive mules, many of which will be users themselves I guess.
There seems to be more & more folk from all walks of life on drugs these days, I overheard our neighbours 20 something mates while they were having a patio BBQ, bragging almost that they had a "local" supplier for Cocaine & Skunk, but wanted to find one that offered MDNA,!!!!! I was shocked when I heard them through the hedge as they are my bloody neighbours "kids", along with the fact that every sentence from the boys and girls used the F word, but also a few C words thrown in as well, as they supped their Corona beers out the bottle on their rear patio, even found an empty bottle or two stuck in our front hedge the next day, well you can guess where that ended up being put:swear2::whistle2:

All scary stuff,this being stopped and searched malarkey, it will no doubt become more prevalent, and something we will have to accept even more so than now, as part of our travels through Europe in the future, but no excuse for damage to personal property, that is disrespectful to say the least.

Hope you can straighten that step, having the switch so near the hab door means that its easily knocked as I leave the van, especially if I am carrying something heavy, so I appreciate how easy it is to not know its all the way out or flat.

So Tam, the next time you are having a shave in the mirror,see that mug of yours staring back at you, ask yourself if you were a uniformed customs officer driving past, would you, or would you not, pull you over as a potential dodgy guy?:rofl:
I am looking at myself now, asking the same question, its a hard one eh?:unsure:
Hope you get through Calais without any delays.
Best wishes.
LES

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have you still got your passport & the dogs ones? .that's why I stop. Farthest I will go is the exit slipway then out & lock it. & no unless they have greater powers than Gendarmes they need a warrant as the gendrmes cannot enter your van without one unless the shift supervisor is in attendance. I won't let anyone in any vehicle of mine as I have no trust in any of the scum whatsoever. 5 years working with 40+ hypocritical ones taught me that I'm more honest than any of them .
Which thread was that lol .....I cant even remember that one
The one about we need to get rid of parliament & have our own people
I don't think it's right
It isn't
drugs problem has become so rife now that they do swab tests on everyone's steering wheels at the ports etc.
Never had one done in all the years I've been going back & forward.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I had a mate that customs took all the door panels of his people carrier, but I think they put them back, :Eeek: but maybe they didn't. ? Bob.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I don’t think customs officers are actually police, are they? They seem to have almost limitless powers, and to almost be above the law. I have read of similar incidents involving UK customs officers. I’d be angry too.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
I know customs in the UK have way more powers than the police. I would imagine French Customs are the same. Unfortunately part of travelling today. For many of us including you not being able to converse with them due to the language barrier makes things feel worse. Chin up move on.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe they've been reading your posts and seen you're voting SNP:D
Maybe they were trying to work out that tory equation

-21000 police
+20000police
=more police

Well according to tories anyway ?

SNP can at least do simple maths

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s almost like they were fake police and you were scammed, but if that was the case they would have taken all your cash etc from wallet. Did you show them your passport, driving licence etc.
Definitely french customs or very good fake cars and uniforms etc and bloody great rifles

They never asked to see licence or passport ...but my wallet had been opened and basically all that was In that is my licence, credit card and ehic card . No cash

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Definitely french customs or very good fake cars and uniforms etc and bloody great rifles

They never asked to see licence or passport ...but my wallet had been opened and basically all that was In that is my licence, credit card and ehic card . No cash

At least you’re didn’t have to bend over....?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don’t think customs officers are actually police, are they? They seem to have almost limitless powers, and to almost be above the law. I have read of similar incidents involving UK customs officers. I’d be angry too.
The car and their
Car didn't have police but a french word ....dounes or something as did their uniforms

The light up flashing sign on the roof said customs

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Have you still got your passport & the dogs ones? .that's why I stop. Farthest I will go is the exit slipway then out & lock it. & no unless they have greater powers than Gendarmes they need a warrant as the gendrmes cannot enter your van without one unless the shift supervisor is in attendance. I won't let anyone in any vehicle of mine as I have no trust in any of the scum whatsoever. 5 years working with 40+ hypocritical ones taught me that I'm more honest than any of them .
The one about we need to get rid of parliament & have our own people
It isn't

Never had one done in all the years I've been going back & forward.
Yeah passport etc all in the safe which is hidden and they didn't find it or ask me to open it .. which means I've hidden it well

Despite their very thorough search of my shower gel , wallet ,fridge ,freezer , clothes , underwear, soap bag etc etc they also didn't look in the drop down bed.

Very weird

What was really embarrassing is they found a box of condoms and there were still 11 in it ? having already established I'd been travelling nearly a year

That's harsh

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Condoms? Now that sure is a glass half full approach to traveling in the van(y):D
Guess you used one to blow up, place over the taps to get the water system fully drained down?, you know when you had that water pressure problem.
Essential part of any tool kit eh?:whistle2:

LES:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back