Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (3 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
nothing to do with this thread but has anyone ever looked at the history of the commer two stroke diesel, very interesting they had the makings of a world beating engine but then gm , i think it was , bought the firm and scrapped every bit of the developement just because they didnt want to damage their own engine sales, google it if you are interested.
Drove both a Commer and Foden Strokers in the 60s/70s..Could hear them miles away when climing hills..Great sound and they went well..BUSBY.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
two strokes are to dirty as they exhaust oil and unburnt fuel there was some developent done to use superchargers and wet sumps but it came to nothing

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Decades since I was there .... whilst at uni I au paired for a family, spent my first month with the boys and their nonna in her flat in San Remo ... I do remember good markets and going to an artists village ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
20190412_152633.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Is that all we get? after pages of talk from petrol heads and diesel freaks with not even a sighting or mention of Jeremy Clarkson just one little doggy picture lol :D2

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is that all we get? after pages of talk from petrol heads and diesel freaks with not even a sighting or mention of Jeremy Clarkson just one little doggy picture lol :D2
Jeremy bloody Clarkson??

Look I'm a pertolhead myself but taking a few pics of the cars was about my level of interest lol ...I did watch a few leave and return earlier but it wasn't very exciting lol

There wasn't even any half naked models draped over the cars or anything so I lost interest :p

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Laughing here though as I was just perusing park4night for spots further down the road with services etc and it's a right chuckle reading some folks reviews.

Here's a couple for a laugh

Screenshot_20190412-180316_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20190412-180146_park4night.jpg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
two strokes are to dirty as they exhaust oil and unburnt fuel there was some developent done to use superchargers and wet sumps but it came to nothing
Commers had blowers on them. Looked like bonfire night when they de-coked themselves at night..BUSBY.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Laughing here though as I was just perusing park4night for spots further down the road with services etc and it's a right chuckle reading some folks reviews.

Here's a couple for a laugh

View attachment 296551 View attachment 296552
Found a couple of mine

After a day at the beach that you can drive onto (free) making your way back to the aire is dead simple. There was plenty of space but you had to have one of those cards that you threw away with the previous van in order to enter. The turning into the aire is fine as long as you haven't caused a massive tailback as you struggle without card and cause annoyance to others. I don't think "Who stole the jam out of your doughnut" translates into French or the French don't get humour

Long termers are still there. Ancient caravan and a dumpy old wreck of a motorhome with a couple of dogs attached to a piece of string. I m sure you get the message here, however great place to go and take a look especially place napolean

Easily the worst aire in france. Possible to stay overnight. Local sellers have most things for sale at night including herion and cocaine. Several people looking to buy. Didnt feel safe to even open roof. No sleep at all. Wonderful view of the river just beyond the local drunks.

If you love prisons, particularly the ones with high fences and barbed wire on the top which is run by vest wearing imitators of the non paid up members of the camping club then this is your place. You will not find me back here

This says daytime parking only. Not from the experience we had. 3 euros collected early evening with free use of water and dump. flat area and a must for any keen masochistic cyclists with mt ventoux . town is full of cycle shops. One pushbike was 12K ! Thats what i sold my motorhome for ! Also not too sure if it was paying or just some entrepreneurial kid who just bought a receipt book and goes round at night collecting 3 euros off 30 vans.

We got here and all i can say is the moment we turned up we were marked. All eyes looked upon us with english van that just went directly into the centre of a travellers camp. We parked next to the water fill up which wasnt working and by the time we had done that we must have had 4 kids aged 8-10 like vultures on new prey eyeing the van up and down seeing if our tyres would fit their van. We ran, we ran like the wind, we didnt look behind us, and never ever again. nice view of flamingoes on the way in though

Good to go shopping for an hour but no more for fear of the thousands of pigeons with chronic gut ache living in the trees under which you park your van. Seriously bad place to park a beloved motorhome

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I’ve figured out why the thread moves so quick , it’s the NOVELS that some people write

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You are going to work on a campsite next year!
Now the fun will start.....wait till you’ve seen it from the ‘other’ side!
We did 3 long summers on a campsite (8 months at a time) and were dying to leave at the end of each summer. Always seemed like a good idea looking forward but when you’re used to moving around it’s killing to stay in one place for so long!
Have fun, make the most of your freedom now.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are going to work on a campsite next year!
Now the fun will start.....wait till you’ve seen it from the ‘other’ side!
We did 3 long summers on a campsite (8 months at a time) and were dying to leave at the end of each summer. Always seemed like a good idea looking forward but when you’re used to moving around it’s killing to stay in one place for so long!
Have fun, make the most of your freedom now.
Well it's just an idea at the minute as I have to return to work of some sorts after this trip.

And as know live in a van with 2 dogs I've either got to find some type of work I can take them with me or something where I'm near them at least.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Finally spoke to this English couple in the vw behind , they've been travelling a year and going in the other direction they've been Germany Austria Slovenia Hungary Bulgaria Greece and Italy and now heading France and back to UK
Its amazing to think 2 people have done a year in the same van I had when I decided to go travelling and I sold mine to get something bigger lol.
That said they did say they found it hard and are looking to buy a bigger 6 metre van.
Although it does have a toilet and shower I found it impossible to use the shower in mine.

So anyway it's a beautiful warm sunny day here today we've been for a walk along the coast a bit on stone beach and now back at Toby for a drink. Bit I think I'm gonna dog the trailer out and have a cycle along in to town and past the marina as there's apparently some horse thing going on ...barrel racing or summit.
Will see how dogs get on in the trailer.

Good cycle path here though

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So anyway it's a beautiful warm sunny day here today we've been for a walk along the coast a bit on stone beach and now back at Toby for a drink. Bit I think I'm gonna dog the trailer out and have a cycle along in to town and past the marina as there's apparently some horse thing going on ...barrel racing or summit.
Will see how dogs get on in the trailer.

Horses barrel racing in a marina?

You sure you are OK Tam?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Yes it would be round rather than in ala Niagara Falls :LOL:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I unfortunately didn't see any barrel racing :( it was those Brits that told me about it as they passed it yesterday but I guess it wasn't on today. But we did cycle 24km to arma di taggia and back so that's my excercise for the month lol. Got caught in a rain shower too so I'm a little damp.

Think I'll stay here one more night then move to imperia tomorrow.

I forgot to put up where I was the other day so this is it.
Screenshot_20190413-152106_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20190413-152114_park4night.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just spotted another British van while out with dogs , they were outside so I said good afternoon....they sort of grunted so I'm guessing they didn't want to say hello lol.

I also just saw a French van a small rapido....couple of say around 60 and they had wait for it..................9!!! Yes 9 dogs with them ...all about the size of jade but all different looking breeds

Insanity

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back