Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (1 Viewer)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You could go to St Valery sur Somme aire, that has electric and you don’t have to stay 24 hours, you can pay by the hour upto 6 hours I think.

As above or you could divert to us and get free EHU and supper cooked for you!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just to confuse things further. I couldn't get the heating to work at all this morning it jist kept cutting off.

So I now have the engine running and the heating seems to work fine when it's running.

Also the battery was reading 12.5v on the panel.

With the engine running it's reading 13 2v and engine battery 14. Something.
Still only showing 3.5 amp being fed to battery though
20190118_095725.jpg
20190118_095738.jpg
20190118_101533.jpg
20190118_101547.jpg

Ignore the 45% I thought I may have entered the wrong maximum capacity when I changed the batteries so I changed it last night and that put them at 50%. They were at 73% last night.

I'm baffled because everything else , lights , tv , pump etc are all working no probs and the manual for the heater says it only cuts off if battery voltage drops below 11v which according to the panel it has never been below 12.4.
But it's definately working without cutting off just now while I have the engine running.

I can't find a 50amp fuse anywhere , there's a 100amp one in with the leisure batteries and a 100amp one next to the engine battery both are fine.

No flashing red led on heater while engine running either.

Electrics feckn confuse me.

Diagnosing the problem Drives me nuts

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can't find a 50amp fuse anywhere , there's a 100amp one in with the leisure batteries and a 100amp one next to the engine battery both are fine.
Supposed to be a 50 amp fuse next to the engine battery and the cable from it goes into the back of the EBL. I wonder if some one has changed the 50 amp fuse for a 100 amp (not good).
If you have some jump leads use one to connect the engine battery to the leisure battery, if the voltage on the leisure battery comes up it will prove the split charge is not working. You won't see any increase in current as you are bypassing the EBL. Fairly certain it's not working but might as well prove it. Any auto electrician should be able to fit a split charge relay bypassing the EBL.

The fact that the heater works with the engine running suggests low voltage is the problem (your panel could be reading high). The split charge relay contacts could be burnt and high resistance that's why you only get a 3 amp charge but it's enough to raise the voltage to keep the heater running.

As you missed part of my earlier rpost, have you checked the EBL is set for the correct type of battery? Nothing to do with split charge not working will only cause problems on EHU.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Heater system sensors seem very sensitive to voltage . I had heater that when not on ehu , or engine off would take several goes to fire up due to flame failure sensor cutting off . New hab batteries sorted it . So using the jump lead connection suggested to see if voltage difference between hab and chassis eliminated would be my first choice as well @Northernraider

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
There is a plastic cover middle above engine on some models you might find fuses under that if your ducato has it mine is couple of years older and has a cover with fuses/relays in

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Are they not the same thing ? Not being pedantic, trying to understand in case it helps me one day.
Hab battery is one that supplies 12v for lighting in side, also gas heater lecky etc . The chassis battery supplies engine start current and external lights wipers etc etc . They should be separate when stopped so that you don't end up with flat chassis batt in morning for example when you need to start vehicle HTSH

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think Lenny HB probably meant connect starter to leisure with jump leads and see if it makes a difference with engine running - he is probably trying to eliminate something

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are they not the same thing ? Not being pedantic, trying to understand in case it helps me one day.

Think Lenny HB probably meant connect starter to leisure with jump leads and see if it makes a difference with engine running - he is probably trying to eliminate something

Just a typo - edited.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Yeah it's pretty cold Val so the heating would be good , it is heating up it just isn't right .

I have a harness for jade she's had one from the start and I've a couple of other ones here too. I've also a halti for jade which stops her pulling on the lead. The downside when she has her harness and I let her off is she gets it soaking wet and dirty and it's rarely dry for the next walk and I think it must be uncomfortable wearing a wet harness , I also need it for her in van while travelling so I've been using the halti and lead for walkies in this weather.

I'd like to find an aire with electric mostly to see if the heating does the same thing while plugged in as a process of elimination. And to boost batteries a bit. But will see what I find on route.

I never yet found a dog that likes wearing a halti headcollar but that's just my opinion (and I have plenty of them):D
I know what you mean about the harness getting wet and muddy when Jade is loose, in my Hymer (which I'm told is a Tramp) the wardrobe is above the cupboard with the boiler in it so gets beautifully warm and cosy, I find i can either hang things over the door of the boiler cupboard or put them on the wardrobe floor and they dry out reasonably quickly, also of course if you are heading toward Valencia or Mercia it hopefully will be quite sunny and warm and things will dry out behind the windscreen on the dashboard.
The other extreme alternative of course is to take the time and trouble to teach them to walk on a loose lead!!:LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
in my Hymer (which I'm told is a Tramp) the wardrobe is above the cupboard with the boiler in it so gets beautifully warm and cosy, I find i can either hang things over the door of the boiler cupboard or put them on the wardrobe floor and they dry out
Our first Hymer was a Tramp, the wardrobe made a great airing cupboard.:D

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry for lack of replies I'm trying to get a few miles in. Personally and I might be wrong but I'm inclined to think it's a sensor on the boiler or something that's knackered and thinks the voltage is lower on batteries than it is.

According to the control panel there's definately charge going in there, not a fantastic charge but in 50 miles they have gone up from 45% to 50% it's currently showing + 6.5 amps.

I have jump leads but my starter battery is under the bonnet on the rhs and my 2 hab batteries are in an external locker behind cab door on the lhs so the jump leads would not reach.

I may also be getting solar input at the minute as both solar controllers are on and led are lit.

I'm heading in the rouen direction at the minute couple of hours drive so will see what they read then.

@Val 2 dogs and @Lenny HB I think my hymer is the same layout as the tramp just the a class version. My boiler is also under the wardrobe and even with just the water heater on it's nice and cosy in there.

P.s Val...I'm trying to train her to walk on loose lead which she does no probs with the halti on but pulls with it off.

She's spoilt I can't help it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've never found it

No idea where it is? Even when the Bridge was out of action & we used other ones or went down the Northern/eastern side of river still never seen a bridge that low.
Me neither - have travelled various routes through Rouen, never come across it, although well aware of its existence!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No idea regards the fan , it seems to run at full pelt and then there's a click which causes lights etc to flicker and it then slows down, it will then build up speed again and same thing happens , still hot air coming out though. It's like it thinks it's up to temperature but isn't if you know what I mean.

I'm no electrically minded though ....mechanical I'm better but electrics I'm pants with.

I didn't see your earlier post regarding charger, it seems to power fridge okay in fact this one is great on 12v and the auto switching works fantastic. But going by the info on the control panel when engine is running it's anything from +1amp to +3.3 amp which isn't right.
There are two fans on the Truma. One is critical to operation and is speed controlled - the combustion fan. The second simply pushes heated air through your duct system. It is pretty obvious which is which & it's worth checking the combustion fan intake isn't clogged.

If it causes lights to flicker check the state of the leisure battery connections - there isn't anything on the Truma that draws enough current to cause lights to flicker unless there's a poor connection at the Electrobloc or at the battery.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
thinks the voltage is lower on batteries than it is
The heater checks the voltage at the heater - which may be entirely different to that measured at the battery do to wire length, poor connections, etc. The only way to check what the heater is measuring is to measure at the heater.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well you'll be glad to know I never found the bridge either :p I was heading for an aire south of rouen so I probably bi passed it.
I did however manage to end up stuck in a damm traffic jam and only afye r getting to the end did I find out it was caused by those daft yellow vest lot.

I was 20 mins away from my destination and thanks to them it took 1 hour 35 mins to do that distance.
20190118_161316.jpg

So anyway when I did get here I discovered there's 2 different parts 1km apart the service point which I needed to empty and fill which is this one
Screenshot_20190118-171006_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20190118-171012_park4night.jpg

And then the one you can park at which is this one.

Screenshot_20190118-174028_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20190118-174038_park4night.jpg

So we're parked up here for the night. And went for a wee walk
20190118_172744.jpg
20190118_173314.jpg

It's next to a school but being a weekend I shouldn't get disturbed too early in the morning

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The heater checks the voltage at the heater - which may be entirely different to that measured at the battery do to wire length, poor connections, etc. The only way to check what the heater is measuring is to measure at the heater.
Any idea where I'd measure that?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back