Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
MaidinDevon could I ask you a favour as you have the same van as mine?

Could you take a photo of the inside of your cupboards across back of van above bed please?

I had an issue when i bought this van where previous owner had been messing with inside of cupboard.

I'm now attempting to fix high level brake light and re site my reverse camera and I've had to remove the mess he had fitted inside

I'd therefore like to see how it looked originally so I can attempt to replicate it.

These cupboards
20191207_231714.jpg

I've had to strip all the broken polystyrene insulation out of it and the weird black cloth material that had been fitted .....

Discovered my high level brake light has a slight leak and the fibreglass is damaged where it fixes.

So while fixing that I'm going to move the reverse camera up to below the brake light and reinforce it.

Then I need to re insulate it and cover

Currently looks like this

20191207_231725.jpg
20191207_231737.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just a thought Tam, would the inside liner of your over bed cupboards not look like the inside lining on the rest of the cupboards that have not been interfered with by previous owner?
Ours are all the same inside from front to back.
Of course like you probably we would have chosen tartan but they were not an option:xgrin:
LES

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just a thought Tam, would the inside liner of your over bed cupboards not look like the inside lining on the rest of the cupboards that have not been interfered with by previous owner?
Ours are all the same inside from front to back.
LES
No as the rest are the solid van sides but the ones across the back are curved and are the fibreglass panel. They were insulated by a curved section of 25mm thick polystyrene but this has all been damaged by a previous owner , its had a camera mounted on the roof above the high level brake light before. This has obviously been removed and the holes filled with sealer....poor job to be honest. Then theres been an issue with the brake light which has been all sealed up bit it doesn't work and was mentioned on last mot.

So I wanted to remove the light to see if I needed a replacement or just wiring, when I removed it I discovered it had been leaking slightly so I now want to sort the whole problem out properly . I dont know how the inside of the cupboards were finished of originally so it would be nice to see inside ones on the same model of van.
The black material that was fitted in there wasnt great.

Once I've sorted brake light and camera I'll have to buy better insulation and then finish off inside the cupboards.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The cupboard above our kitchen would be the same as these and the have a piece of white faced hardboard in the back, not sure how it fits at the top but it’s stapled to the back of the cup base.
the plastic caps you see give access to the screws that fix the fibreglass outer panel in position.
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The cupboard above our kitchen would be the same as these and the have a piece of white faced hardboard in the back, not sure how it fits at the top but it’s stapled to the back of the cup base.
the plastic caps you see give access to the screws that fix the fibreglass outer panel in position.
View attachment 350769
Ok cheers

I did wonder if it would be hardboard or some sort of cloth. Will have to check b&q for 4mm hardboard. Not so keen on the polystyrene insulation either and mine is in a million bits so will have to replace it with something else and has to be able to curve.

While I have it all stripped out I'm contemplating twin cameras instead of the single one

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right well here's an interesting story and a sign of it really is a small world

Cast thy minds back to my last few days in belgium where I stayed on the aire at nevelle outside ghent.
You'll remember when I arrived there was an old belgian fella parked there that had been there several days and was staying to the sunday ....

Well a group I'm on Facebook someone posted this morning about an altercation on an aire in belgium

Its THE SAME GUY ....hes still taking up space on that 48 hour aire and has now hit someone else's van after objecting to them parking there

Screenshot_20191208-102212_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20191208-102240_Facebook.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Perhaps someone should be having a quiet word in the Mayoral office's ear about someone overstaying their 48h welcome*

*I have no idea who 'polices' aires in Belgium
Cant believe he hit the folks van then tried to claim it was them. He was a nosey bugger but otherwise ok when I parked there ... only 2 spaces though and I think he stays there for weeks ....that will be another aire that ends up closed.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So I've removed my bike rack from toby and don't intend to refitt it so I'm going to remove the bottom fixing bracket and the 2 weird extra brackets below the window and fill the holes.. ..I'm going to remove the camera from below bike bracket and refitt a double one below the high level brake light.

I think I'll take the decals off the back panel and put a new graphic on so that it covers the filled holes etc.
20191208_104755.jpg
20191208_104801.jpg

I'll leave the top bike rack mountings there and see if I can get blank covers for them

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Right well here's an interesting story and a sign of it really is a small world

Cast thy minds back to my last few days in belgium where I stayed on the aire at nevelle outside ghent.
You'll remember when I arrived there was an old belgian fella parked there that had been there several days and was staying to the sunday ....

Well a group I'm on Facebook someone posted this morning about an altercation on an aire in belgium

Its THE SAME GUY ....hes still taking up space on that 48 hour aire and has now hit someone else's van after objecting to them parking there

View attachment 350787View attachment 350788

He is a bully and when you were there he must of thought you weren’t the bullying type....lol ?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well removing the old brake light was a challenge it was stuck on with so much glue. The light was knackered and the backing mounting plate was also knackered. Someone had damaged the fibreglass surrounding it previously and it had a shoddy repair above the light where a camera had been mounted on the roof.

Cant find a backing plate for the light anywhere so baring in mind the cost of a replacement light then trying to source the backing plate somewhere and then having to repair the fibreglass I've decided just to remove the light all together eliminating any future leaks from it and fibreglassing up the hole .so I got some p40 fibreglass and some mesh and set about filling the hole up.

All filled now which I'll allow to set properly overnight before sanding and filling any little holes etc tomorrow.

Heres some pics ....not sure how clear it will be as sunny here today ....but you will get the idea . Now removing the rest of the various brackets and camera off the back panel , I've found a nice hd scenery print that I'll put on the back to cover the damaged areas from brackets etc .....

Should all work out in the end and be watertight.

20191208_104801.jpg
20191209_114415.jpg
20191209_114423.jpg
20191209_115006.jpg
20191209_123112.jpg
20191209_124725.jpg
20191209_130350.jpg

I've also been removing a lot of redundant wiring that previous owners have left around the inside of the van , mainly around the ebl etc. I've removed the old solar controllers in preparation for new one arriving....I can now access the ebl with ease.

I've connected a switched feed from leisure batteries to power my satnav and reverse camera etc when driving.

Also got my first nights work last night and working again tonight so making a bit of money also ...downside is between doing everything else I'm only getting a couple of hours a day to do jobs on the van but keeping me busy.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What are you going to fit as a high level brake light when you’ve filled the holes.
Also have you investigated the the oven drafts yet?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What are you going to fit as a high level brake light when you’ve filled the holes.
Also have you investigated the the oven drafts yet?
As it's not required by law or by mot I'm not sure if I'm going to bother or not yet.
I may fit a newer model that only requires a 5mm hole drilled for cable and sticks on with double sided tape....less chance of leaks.

Not had a chance to investigate oven properly yet but I did tape up the inside of the vent temporarily a few days ago and makes a big difference.

I'll investigate that more at later date

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It will smell nice in there tonight with that fibre glass and filler. (y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok so I sanded it today as rain forecast for tomorrow, ....
20191209_145632.jpg

Looks not three bad to be honest and should now be watertight....bit of light sanding to do on it then put a bit of paint over it ....might have to get creative with a sticker or something but will see.

Trying to remove the old decals off back panel is proving to be a tedious task

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ok so I sanded it today as rain forecast for tomorrow, ....View attachment 351024

Looks not three bad to be honest and should now be watertight....bit of light sanding to do on it then put a bit of paint over it ....might have to get creative with a sticker or something but will see.

Trying to remove the old decals off back panel is proving to be a tedious task
Nooo, you can't use paint should be Gel coat. Any boat repairers near you they will be able to gel coat it so the repair is invisible.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nooo, you can't use paint should be Gel coat. Any boat repairers near you they will be able to gel coat it so the repair is invisible.
Dont know why it's just fibreglass. I've had a couple of fibreglass kit cars before and just painted them.

I think the only way that would be invisible is to have that whole fibreglass section redone as it's all dull and pitted ....but that would be expensive. I plan to just put a bit of paint over the fibreglass and then either a sticker or a bit of crafty decaling

I'm on a budget ye Ken lol

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok cheers

I did wonder if it would be hardboard or some sort of cloth. Will have to check b&q for 4mm hardboard. Not so keen on the polystyrene insulation either and mine is in a million bits so will have to replace it with something else and has to be able to curve.

While I have it all stripped out I'm contemplating twin cameras instead of the single one
If you are anywhere near an IKEA, then there is usually plenty of white coated thin hardboard in their scrap bin in the car park.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi Tam

The photos wont load. Rubbish internet here. However the rear cupboards have black cloth lining. It is identical to the fabric beside the handbrake, which skins my knuckles if I am not careful, and the top of the dashboard. It feels like polystyrene behind it.
The reason I mentioned no camera was to suggest the cupboards hadn't been interfered with!
All the other cupboards are white wooden backing.

15759160619008832597207383744845.jpg

Last edited:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I also wanted to ask whether your steps retract automatically? Mine don't and neither do I get an audible alarm. Very dangerous. I have to put them in with the switch by the hab door.

There is a black button on the dash which puts them out. Not a lot of use tbh.
Karen

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Tam

The photos wont load. Rubbish internet here. However the rear cupboards have black cloth lining. It is identical to the fabric beside the handbrake, which skins my knuckles if I am not careful, and the top of the dashboard. It feels like polystyrene behind it.
The reason I mentioned no camera was to suggest the cupboards hadn't been interfered with!
All the other cupboards are white wooden backing.

View attachment 351062
Hmmm that's the same material that was inside mine .....and all the folk on here told me it wasnt original when I bought mine lol

It's now ruined when I removed it

I did think it was the same stuff as on the front of the van ..

As for the step ...it doesn't retract automatically just via the buttons

My alarm was faulty so I removed it

Not forgot to retract it yet ..always check mirror before I move

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back