Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How about these, be quick though.
Perfect have spoke to him and he says hes happy to keep them for me till I collect them but preferably before friday ( I just hope he does as I offered to pay for them now and he refused ) hes only an hour away from lenny in fareham which is handy

Says another scottish guy phoned him minutes before trying to get them posted lol

Was that you monzer

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I totally agree. I have found this forum so useful for general ideas and specific information and have followed with real interest the reports on trips as well some of the more personal journeys and problems people post...... BUT i learned early on not to read any belly locker posts having initially straying in by mistake.

I'm now finding myself ignoring more people and threads. I was wondering if it was just me becoming less tolerant or if there has been a real change in the "tenor" of the forum?

I think people need to stop and think about how a post comes across before hitting enter. I see a lot of people asking for advice on something and just getting a load of folk trying to be clever, witty or funny instead of helpful replies.

Must admit I have been guilty of that myself in the past but I now have the ability to stop and ask myself if it will make me look like a bit of a twat if I write that, then I don't. More people need to learn to use this kind of filter :D2

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
How is your new van anyway ? You've not even changed your avatar I thought you'd have posted some pics up of it

It's great cheers. Best part is the heating, my old autostratus wasn't able to get warm but this thing is toasty. Not got round to any photos yet and it's not as photogenic as the old van.

Not entirely with out bad points though. The living area doesn't really let you stretch out to read a book or watch a film so I find my self in the drivers seat most of the time. Looks like one of the shower drainage points leaks if the van is tilted a bit to the drivers side, water runs across the floor. Tight for space in there so not sure how I can investigate it further.

The garage is brilliant. Just unlock the door and roll the bike out no bothering with straps and clamps etc of a bike rack.

In Perth at the moment it's been belting down all the way from Aberdeen and showing no sign of letting up. Football tomorrow then back to Edinburgh.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's great cheers. Best part is the heating, my old autostratus wasn't able to get warm but this thing is toasty. Not got round to any photos yet and it's not as photogenic as the old van.

Not entirely with out bad points though. The living area doesn't really let you stretch out to read a book or watch a film so I find my self in the drivers seat most of the time. Looks like one of the shower drainage points leaks if the van is tilted a bit to the drivers side, water runs across the floor. Tight for space in there so not sure how I can investigate it further.

The garage is brilliant. Just unlock the door and roll the bike out no bothering with straps and clamps etc of a bike rack.

In Perth at the moment it's been belting down all the way from Aberdeen and showing no sign of letting up. Football tomorrow then back to Edinburgh.
They all have bad points...but as long as the good outweigh the bad.
My bathroom is a little snug aswell , showers fine but it's impossible to sit on the loo with door shut ....

And yeah I have to admit my garage was handy for push bike....taking it of the back is a farce.

But having 2 dogs now I didn't use it nearly as much this year , partly due to the stupid hydraulic brakes ...so not sure if I'll bother with the bike now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I totally agree. I have found this forum so useful for general ideas and specific information and have followed with real interest the reports on trips as well some of the more personal journeys and problems people post...... BUT i learned early on not to read any belly locker posts having initially straying in by mistake.

I'm now finding myself ignoring more people and threads. I was wondering if it was just me becoming less tolerant or if there has been a real change in the "tenor" of the forum?
I'm saddened and shocked by some of the heartless and callous things I've read on here since i joined. I joined to learn about motor homing and hoped to find new friends too but I've had to ignore some forums and even in motorhome chat forum nasty stuff still ends up appearing sometimes. I don't agree that it's just learning to accept differing opinions. Some stuff is just right or wrong. There is a serious lack of kindness and open mindedness in some on here but i won't let it put me off and i will not stay silent if i think something needs to be said.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Perfect have spoke to him and he says hes happy to keep them for me till I collect them but preferably before friday ( I just hope he does as I offered to pay for them now and he refused ) hes only an hour away from lenny in fareham which is handy

Says another scottish guy phoned him minutes before trying to get them posted lol

Was that you monzer
Hopefully he will keep to his word.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hopefully he will keep to his word.
I hope so , I have his name , phone number , address, postcode and van registration number

If he doesn't I'm sending the boys round

Thanks for finding that and letting me know ....its much appreciated
Great price and good quality its ideal

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm saddened and shocked by some of the heartless and callous things I've read on here since i joined. I joined to learn about motor homing and hoped to find new friends too but I've had to ignore some forums and even in motorhome chat forum nasty stuff still ends up appearing sometimes. I don't agree that it's just learning to accept differing opinions. Some stuff is just right or wrong. There is a serious lack of kindness and open mindedness in some on here but i won't let it put me off and i will not stay silent if i think something needs to be said.
I blocked myself from the belly locker about 2 months after I joined.
The u shape lounge jim has had me blocked from for a long time and to be honest I'm not that bothered as a lot of the threads there are just hating on somebody.
My only objection is when it's a thread that starts in motorhome chat that's contravensual and I've commented on it and it then gets moved to the u shaped lounge , I still get notifications about it but I cant access it or comment on it.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy but other times it's simply because I cant stand by and read the hate , racist , homophobic ,sexist crap at times without challenging it

It seems there are many who will blame anyone whether its ,poor , unemployed, immigrants , single mothers, foreigners etc etc for everything that's wrong in the uk and point blank refuse that maybe just maybe it's actually them to blame themselves ?

It's sometimes like watching Alf Garnett from the 80's only without the comedy.

But theres a lot of great folk on here so it's worth it ....but even a simple thread about folk fulltime living in Van's is now apparently the fault of immigrants ?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I would like to apologies to anybody who I have offended on here.......so,SORRY.
I have a very dry...some say arid.....sense of humour,and often use sarcasm the lowest form of wit.
Having said that, I think the problem with posts and emails generally is that they are open to misunderstanding and ambiguity.....and that goes for the recipient as well as the sender.
I have however never been banned and have never set out to upset anyone.
If you have tried to be rude to me, I feel sorry for you....I am very very thick skinned,so your efforts have been wasted.
Enjoy the fun!:D2:D2:D2:D2

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well it's been an eventful evening for aquiring stuff. I never thought to look on facebook for a towcar so I done a wee search
Ended up with 4 options
A Suzuki alto 2004
A ford ka convertible
A smart car
A Peugeot 307 convertible

So I went with the sensible option
The suzuki alto 1.0l 5 door ,2004 , 68000 miles , service history, recent cambelt , good tyres 30 quid a year road tax , £190 fully comprehensive insurance, towtal a frame , full years mot getting done on wednesday. In Bristol
£750
20191123_204813.jpg

The previous owner has had it five years and just replaced it with a new alto ....the red one you can see in the background.

Seems a genuine guy and I haggled a bit that he was happy with.

So good result and jade likes it cause its black ?

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy but other times it's simply because I cant stand by and read the hate , racist , homophobic ,sexist crap at times without challenging it

It seems there are many who will blame anyone whether its ,poor , unemployed, immigrants , single mothers, foreigners etc etc for everything that's wrong in the uk and point blank refuse that maybe just maybe it's actually them to blame themselves ?
I know just what you mean, and encountering it on this forum is one thing, but what do you do when you encounter it in real life? On this forum I have just about managed to control myself and resist replying. But regularly we meet the same attitudes from Brits that we meet on our travels.

Tonight we are on a free municipal aire in Spain. On our way back from the restaurant, we met a British couple who had just arrived. I mentioned that we knew that the water wasn’t working as we had read about it on a recent review on Campercontact. “I can’t be doing with Campercontact” he says “as soon as a site goes on there, the Germans take it over”. This is a municipal aire, Oh Please!, it needs to be publicised. We have been here four times and never seen any Germans here anyway.

He then goes on to complain about all the eastern europeans “taking our jobs”. And of course “we voted leave”, as if I needed him to tell me that. After Brexit, apparently, we need to stop all immigration into the UK. And then the funny part - “We’re on our way to Almeria to look at a house we want to buy, they’re so cheap there”.

But throughout all of this, I just kept nodding and making what probably sounded like agreeing noises. I just can’t bring myself to try to reason with this kind of person, I just want to get away and back to the safety of my own van. The Mrs says I’m wrong to do this and should try to put forward my point of view, but I tend to avoid arguments, and think that “you can’t educate pork”, so what’s the point?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know just what you mean, and encountering it on this forum is one thing, but what do you do when you encounter it in real life? On this forum I have just about managed to control myself and resist replying. But regularly we meet the same attitudes from Brits that we meet on our travels.

Tonight we are on a free municipal aire in Spain. On our way back from the restaurant, we met a British couple who had just arrived. I mentioned that we knew that the water wasn’t working as we had read about it on a recent review on Campercontact. “I can’t be doing with Campercontact” he says “as soon as a site goes on there, the Germans take it over”. This is a municipal aire, Oh Please!, it needs to be publicised. We have been here four times and never seen any Germans here anyway.

He then goes on to complain about all the eastern europeans “taking our jobs”. And of course “we voted leave”, as if I needed him to tell me that. After Brexit, apparently, we need to stop all immigration into the UK. And then the funny part - “We’re on our way to Almeria to look at a house we want to buy, they’re so cheap there”.

But throughout all of this, I just kept nodding and making what probably sounded like agreeing noises. I just can’t bring myself to try to reason with this kind of person, I just want to get away and back to the safety of my own van. The Mrs says I’m wrong to do this and should try to put forward my point of view, but I tend to avoid arguments, and think that “you can’t educate pork”, so what’s the point?
I think you and I would get on ?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Omg how do you stay quiet at that hypocrisy? I think i would have exploded or been sick maybe ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have an alto as a toad, although its rarely towed. Makes a good shopping trolley and with the back seat down bags of room for two largish dogs. Your two will easily go in the back with the back seat up. Ours is a bit younger than yours ( by 10 years) but has cost nothing in repairs, just replacement tyres which seem to wear quickly, perhaps just because they are small.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have an alto as a toad, although its rarely towed. Makes a good shopping trolley and with the back seat down bags of room for two largish dogs. Your two will easily go in the back with the back seat up. Ours is a bit younger than yours ( by 10 years) but has cost nothing in repairs, just replacement tyres which seem to wear quickly, perhaps just because they are small.
Yeah it seems perfect for what I need just a wee runabout that doesn't cost a lot in fuel and tax etc....if its reliable etc I can leave it at mums when I come back over to europe next winter and use it again the following year.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
I usually apologise, which I shouldn't, say I disagree and move away. I've blocked Belly Locker and (I think) U Shaped Lounge but the nasty comments pervade. Casual racism is deplorable. It's not an age thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm in my 60s.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ours does nearly 70 to the gallon and road tax is FREE.
That's brilliant ....not sure what year the one is the guys replacing this one with but his is a 900cc and still £30 road tax

But free is even better

Fuel consumption good too as I'll be running round delivering takeaways for a couple of months in mine

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hes only an hour away from lenny in fareham which is handy
can't Lenny pick them up if he's that way at all this week ?
still get notifications about it but I cant access it or comment on it.
I laughed at one you commented on this morning that got locked shortly after & even though I read & re-read a few times I've no idea why? Getting beyond a koke when they disappear or get locked.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
can't Lenny pick them up if he's that way at all this week ?

I laughed at one you commented on this morning that got locked shortly after & even though I read & re-read a few times I've no idea why? Getting beyond a koke when they disappear or get locked.
I think I'm imposing on Lenny HB hospitality and help enough by going there to have him check my electrics etc .

The guy does seem genuine otherwise he could have accepted my payment for them and done a bunk.

Depending on how I am for time getting from folkestone to lenny I might drive there and collect them first then drive back to lennys .....otherwise I'll get them friday afternoon before the guy buggers off for the weekend.

Which thread was that lol .....I cant even remember that one

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You will notice the difference inside so much, summer and winter, and you can fold the front down to let light in if you want. (y)
I have to admit drying the inside of the windscreen every morning is a pain

It's a bath towel and squeegee job at the minute

I'll have to do something about my mirrors though as they've been bodged which I think is because they are broken

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

There’s a lot of pork about!
We have met a few and I just tend to ignore them both on forums and in real life They are the ones that are “always right” and have to have the last word.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
^^^

Very well said.

At least we've got a festive general election to look forward to ?
And it doesn't get more festive

We've had the blue , can't trust the yella .......what Britain needs is the auld red fella !

Made that up masel ?
Although personally I'm voting snp as I can't trust 60 million English voters ( no offense ) to consider the welfare of 6 million Scots
Especially when so keen to throw northern ireland under the bus.

So I'm hedging my bets

I hope corbyn wins down south as in any debate he's clear calm and concise....and the only one to stay neutral on the b word and let the people decide.

Whereas as bojo is a bumbling idiot who can't tell the truth ...
And swinson just deflects to corbyn when faced with a tough question..

And if he doesn't do what he says vote him out again in 4 years.

Maximum return of snp in scotland ?

Opinions may vary but that's how I see it

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Has anyone else had this over the top customs search when entering france?

I got stopped when I entered france from spain by 3 customs guys who searched the van but like 10 minutes and I was on my way

This time though not so lucky .....just crossed the border on the motorway sat at 60mph on cruise control ...next minute car right on my ass blue lights and siren going...then he pulls level points to the roof of his car pulls in front and I'm getting a " customs follow us " message

So I followed him off the next slip road......about 2 miles down a quiet road and then in to a practically deserted industrial estate ...

Again 3 guys.....got interrogated where I'd been , where I was before then , how many days , where I was going etc
Any tobacco , alcohol , drugs

Answered no just 3 bottles of wine , no drugs no cash etc etc

They then asked me to get out the van with dogs on lead ....left me outside with one of them and the other 2 proceeded to go in the van themselves and ransack it

25 minutes they were in there

They've broke the catch on my freezer, ran water all over the floor because the obviously knocked the tap and theres a lid on the sink

They pulled all my clothes out the overhead lockers and left them in a pile on my bed

Squirted shampoo shower gel and suncream in my sink they've been in my wallet which was in a cupboard ,

Went round everything with swabs and cotton buds including the button for the step which caused it to close a bit then they stood on it which gave a mighty crack so I'm not sure if they've damaged underneath with that .....they've left my van in a right mess

While they were doing this another british van an old eldiss came in following a motorbike and another customs car and he was still getting the same treatment when I left

So is it true that they are targeting british Van's and going over the top because I think that was way over the top I've never been searched like that even at the ports and I'm raging for the mess they've made

I actually feel like I've been burgled

They were even in my soap bag Oh Please!

In the uk you wouldn't fear searvhed by the police like that without a warrant and they wouldn't have kept me outside where they could have done god knows what

I don't think it's right

Has anyone else had this ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back