Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok so I have run a new cable from the batteries direct to the heater.

No point checking it just now as it's sunny and my batteries are up at 13.7v so the heater woukd run ok regardless.

I'll swap the power source over later and see how that goes.

There's a funster parked up here I think his name is sonny
He's been having a chat he's in a fairly new swift and has had probs with his van so I can't complain really

Will see if it works ok later when suns gone down

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes i agree i would rather it was one thing faulty than 2.

I think the cable is about the same as what is there currently

There's a few companies in England that do an exchange refurbished ebl for around £300 So worse case scenario but 2 of the issues can be bypassed in fact if I fit a caravan split charger all 3 can be bypassed so I might get away with just doing that
Apulijack in Somerset rebuild EBL for about £150, AandN Caravans used to do it for £120 not sure if they still do since Alan died, they are in North Wales.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think I would prefer having the EBL repaired rather than bodge other bits on.
It's not bodging really as apparently modern vans the heating comes straight from battery and not via ebl
My other issues are the engine not charging hab batteries properly...only 4 or 5 amps

And the solar being wired through it which I plan to change so it goes direct to the batteries.

I'd like the ebl fixed to be honest but only if it sorts all the issues.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I've been to the 3 garages in this area , first 2 didn't want to know the just sent me elsewhere, 3rd one I got to and guy doesn't speak much English, he had a look under bonnet says he can't see anything ( duh I did that ) says his machine doesn't work on fiat so can't diagnose problem ...he said to go to benavente as it's a bigger town .

Van is running like a bag of crap, strangely it seems to go better at speed than it does idling or on hills etc . My worry is that I'm doing damage and I don't know if there's a garage in benavente that does fiat either. And its 80km away

Not sure what to do

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Well I've been to the 3 garages in this area , first 2 didn't want to know the just sent me elsewhere, 3rd one I got to and guy doesn't speak much English, he had a look under bonnet says he can't see anything ( duh I did that ) says his machine doesn't work on fiat so can't diagnose problem ...he said to go to brevente as it's a bigger town .

Van is running like a bag of crap, strangely it seems to go better at speed than it does idling or on hills etc . My worry is that I'm doing damage and I don't know if there's a garage in brevente that does fiat either.

Not sure what to do
Cant you get fuel filter and change that as a start point ? Most common rail engines have a low fuel pressure sensor to shut engine down to avoid damage to high pressure pump .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ok so I found a small garage in benavente that did all marques....doesnt speak english but he put diagnostic on and it threw up injector no 4 bad connection....it seems the cable is knackered but from what I gather can't get cable so he has made temporary fix with a cable tie and if it moves again I have to wiggle the cable .....Not ideal but it has stopped the misfire for now and I'll have to look in to getting that fixed somehow.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think I read about a common fault with injector cables being to short and causing problems, could be related to this ?
Yes quite possibly.....if it holds till I'm back home I'll get it repaired properly then.
I've a short list lol.

But at least I now know it's not something serious so that's a relief.
The joys of an older van

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Yes that's pretty much what he has done ...it just seems to be loose where it plugs in.
if you see a breakers yard out there cut the lead and plug off another engine leaving the cable long and splice it to your cable if this makes sense ..this is a common fault on 244 jtd engines

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
if you see a breakers yard out there cut the lead and plug off another engine leaving the cable long and splice it to your cable if this makes sense ..this is a common fault on 244 jtd engines
That's a good idea ....I passed a huge one on the way here too but can't remember where.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
SO
On the other issue ie the heating, I ran a new cable from the heater direct to the batteries and tried that last night, it seems to have stopped the red light issue. It will do for now hopefully until I get back to Blighty and I'm gonna visit our resident electric wizard Lenny HB and if he can advise then on the faults I'll take it from there. If a replacement ebl seems the best plan and it will fix all the issues then that's what I'll do.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So my last night stop was just outside benavente
20191008_094442.jpg
20191008_094448.jpg
20191008_094456.jpg

Thought this was a little weird and disturbing ..
20191008_095609.jpg

And then I headed towards Leon....came off main road to use a free service area at Valencia de don Juan and spotted this castle so thought I'd have a walk around....it's currently being restored
20191008_120751.jpg
20191008_120838.jpg
20191008_121124.jpg
20191008_121141.jpg
20191008_121313.jpg
20191008_121316.jpg
20191008_121316.jpg
20191008_121341.jpg

And then on the way back to camper I spotted this apartment block being built which is very cool and looks gaudi inspired but really out of place where it is and baffled by it lol
20191008_121938.jpg
20191008_122014.jpg

So next stop will be Leon I think

Just having some lunch

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So I've arrived in Leon now.....that bloody cable moved again on the drive up so misfired all the way here. I've added another cable tie to it to try and pull it tighter and the light has gone off again for now but I can't have that playing up everyday so I'll have to keep an eye out for a breakers yard or a fiat garage to try and get a cable

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Been discussing with Angela ( mind the Geordie woman I met with German Shepard back in February?) Going in as a couple for campsite warden jobs...she wants to do it also but many are for couples.

So she's enquired about a few in Scotland and north east England for us ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been discussing with Angela ( mind the Geordie woman I met with German Shepard back in February?) Going in as a couple for campsite warden jobs...she wants to do it also but many are for couples.

So she's enquired about a few in Scotland and north east England for us ?
Will that cause a problem needing 2 pitches for your vans or are you going to shack up together.? :ROFLMAO:

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
I've never stayed on a UK site to know if the pitches are big enough to park two vans on, tho I suppose their are rules against that?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ok so I found a small garage in benavente that did all marques....doesnt speak english but he put diagnostic on and it threw up injector no 4 bad connection....it seems the cable is knackered but from what I gather can't get cable so he has made temporary fix with a cable tie and if it moves again I have to wiggle the cable .....Not ideal but it has stopped the misfire for now and I'll have to look in to getting that fixed somehow.
I think I read about a common fault with injector cables being to short and causing problems, could be related to this ?

Yes as above it is a common fault across the Fiat,peugeot,citroen range . Scandalous it has been going on so long. My mate had it here a few years back & easy repair in the Peugeot garage BUT they are not allowed to change one only all 4. about 185€ for the 4 new connectors & wires + labour. 250 all in. Find some in a scrappie is far better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back