Tam, Jade and Franky's European Adventure (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
There's a lovely Spanish lady who cycles around all the motorhome spots here everyday selling fruit and veg ....i generally get a few things of her cause I think it's better than the supermarkets so today I got a lovely watermelon a kilo of tomatoes 3 peppers and a half dozen mini cucumbers 6€ in total

Just made a lovely ommelete for dinner with tomatoes pepper some chorizo onion and a little cheese. ...mmmm was amazing

Now watermelon for after.

No oranges ..? :wink:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's a controversial theory - and one I've not tried with my own Rescue Retired Greyhound, who is totally & absolutely food oriented - but I have read that folk have had success switching off the scavenging & food obsession by having a few days where the dog has an all they can eat food bowl... the theory being that once stuffed & can eat no more... yet the bowl still has food... that they learn that they don't need to forage & gorge themselves because their food will always be available...

I see the logic, but I'm not sure I can afford the tonne of food necessary :p.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's a controversial theory - and one I've not tried with my own Rescue Retired Greyhound, who is totally & absolutely food oriented - but I have read that folk have had success switching off the scavenging & food obsession by having a few days where the dog has an all they can eat food bowl... the theory being that once stuffed & can eat no more... yet the bowl still has food... that they learn that they don't need to forage & gorge themselves because their food will always be available...

I see the logic, but I'm not sure I can afford the tonne of food necessary :p.
It's the throwing up everywhere I'd be worried about

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Nothing worse than a bored dog :p
20180420_221651.jpg

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Tam. Rather than an extendable lead, buy yourself a 10m training lead. They are designed to be dragged behind the dog so the dog behaves like being off lead but you only need to be within 30 ft of him to step on the lead of danger arises. We used it with our dog for 18 months until he grew up a bit!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Love Jades new look. It is a bit like that when they’re bored, everything & everyone 'gets it'!
Try some brain work, teach her some tricks that should wear her out.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Marked improvement today with the training following a mix of methods.
When she starts to pull I change direction.
When she walks nice she gets a treat or a good rub. ..i mix it up so she doesn't know which she will get.
She is walking better and not pulling as much. Will sit on command 80% of the time and will lie down from sitting if I put finger on ground in front of her.

It's progress and if I do it lunch time the treats substitute her lunch.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
That sounds like good progress for the both of you . If every time she gets a behaviour right ( like walking on a loose lead ), you mark that with a "tongue click"or an enthusiastic "Yesss", followed within 3 seconds by a treat she will quickly learn which behaviour earns the treats and begin to offer them to you in the knowledge that will earn her a reward.
Use only the one "marker" sound and in these early days ALWAYS follow it with a reward so she will be listening for it and happy to offer the behaviour.
Training pups is such fun and so rewarding. "Clicker training " makes it really easy for both the pup and the trainer. It's a pity you are not closer as I would have loved to show you both how it works but undoubtedly you will both get there.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Tam, Currently have a mooch about the Kingdom. Couple of pics to remind you of home.
Just having lunch on the Prom at Leven..
IMG_20180421_123657.jpg

A little earlier from the viewpoint just down the coast from Aberdour towards Burnt island.
IMG_20180421_111139.jpg

IMG_20180421_111147.jpg

Heading towards Elie to check out a possible overnight there.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, Currently have a mooch about the Kingdom. Couple of pics to remind you of home.
Just having lunch on the Prom at Leven..
View attachment 226290

A little earlier from the viewpoint just down the coast from Aberdour towards Burnt island.
View attachment 226296

View attachment 226297
Heading towards Elie to check out a possible overnight there.
There's a few nice overnight spots up that road :)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Spoke too soon with the training lol ....evening walk was a disaster she pulls constantly like a cart horse, you try to get her attention and she jumps up looking for treats ....frustrating as anything lol im starting to think she doesn't speak English

But tomorrow is another day .....whats the general view on the choker type chain collars? Do they stop the pulling?
I don't think she understands what I'm trying to get her to do.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Spoke too soon with the training lol ....evening walk was a disaster she pulls constantly like a cart horse, you try to get her attention and she jumps up looking for treats ....frustrating as anything lol im starting to think she doesn't speak English

But tomorrow is another day .....whats the general view on the choker type chain collars? Do they stop the pulling?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
No, absolutely no choker, she just a baby lol and no she doesn't understand English, not most of it anyway.
I don' speak technology and /or text, if you can explain in VERY SIMPLE language I will pm you and explain how to clicker train her.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Choke chains are a definite no. Something like the haltee collar workswith some dogs but I find the most effective is a harness as used to anchor them in the motorhome. A collar just round the neck often encourages pulling for some reason.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We went to a puppy 'training' classes which were run by a woman who used choke chains. She literally yanked a little whippet so violently she lifted him off the floor and he then fell over. We stopped going immediately.

We sometimes use a Halti. Its a bit like a headcollar that you'd use on a horse except that the piece that goes around the muzzle is attached to the lead via a ring and therefore if the dog pulls the Halti tightens. It loosens as soon as the dog stops pulling.

Our dog hates it but I have to use it sometimes as he's 23kg of muscle and can easily pull me over. He's never got on very well walking on a lead - it maybe a collie thing as I see lots of them straining at the leash.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No, absolutely no choker, she just a baby lol and no she doesn't understand English, not most of it anyway.
I don' speak technology and /or text, if you can explain in VERY SIMPLE language I will pm you and explain how to clicker train her.
Choke chains are a definite no. Something like the haltee collar workswith some dogs but I find the most effective is a harness as used to anchor them in the motorhome. A collar just round the neck often encourages pulling for some reason.
We went to a puppy 'training' classes which were run by a woman who used choke chains. She literally yanked a little whippet so violently she lifted him off the floor and he then fell over. We stopped going immediately.

We sometimes use a Halti. Its a bit like a headcollar that you'd use on a horse except that the piece that goes around the muzzle is attached to the lead via a ring and therefore if the dog pulls the Halti tightens. It loosens as soon as the dog stops pulling.

Our dog hates it but I have to use it sometimes as he's 23kg of muscle and can easily pull me over. He's never got on very well walking on a lead - it maybe a collie thing as I see lots of them straining at the leash.
Ok so no choker ....to be honest I don't like the idea I just wasn't sure if they worked or not as I've seen them for sale in the shop.
My mum mentioned a halti so I'll have a look for them.

And the harness may be an idea actually I'll try using that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
I'll also have a look for a clicker.
I know she's just a baby etc and half the time it's because the world has so many distractions for a pup ...but the pulling needs to be got under control as it really makes a walk unpleasant when she's constantly at full stretch of the lead and zipping about.
I tried the changing direction approach that someone mentioned but I end up just turning round in circles lol as she pulls straight away.
For a wee dog weighing under 5kg I'm amazed that she can bring a 15 stone man to a standstill or pull him but she can lol

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Ok so no choker ....to be honest I don't like the idea I just wasn't sure if they worked or not as I've seen them for sale in the shop.
My mum mentioned a halti so I'll have a look for them.

And the harness may be an idea actually I'll try using that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
I'll also have a look for a clicker.
I know she's just a baby etc and half the time it's because the world has so many distractions for a pup ...but the pulling needs to be got under control as it really makes a walk unpleasant when she's constantly at full stretch of the lead and zipping about.
I tried the changing direction approach that someone mentioned but I end up just turning round in circles lol as she pulls straight away.
For a wee dog weighing under 5kg I'm amazed that she can bring a 15 stone man to a standstill or pull him but she can lol

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Please, not a choker chain. Try and think a bit more long term, it’s very early days and just because she does something “right” one day doesn’t mean she will do it again always.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Agree absolutely no to a choker or anything similar. It really is just consistency, perseverance and time Tam. Doesn't matter what spoken language she does or doesn't understand. A lot of what she learns is from your body language.

I think it's too soon to be considering a halti but that's just my opinion and no doubt others will disagree.

Are you still using an extending lead? That may not be the best option at the moment. But again, don't hop about looking for a quick fix for her behaviour. Choose your method and stick with it. There will be setbacks, just go back a stage to repeat and consolidate.

EDIT The going round in circles will pass quite quickly! It may help if you slide your hand down the lead towards her body as you gently encourage her round......and reward!

Karen

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
When you are trying your walks how far are you travelling? I helped my mum train her dog to walk on the lead and at the beginning we had to accept the fact that it might not be a 'walk' we go for rather than a practise session.

What I mean is sometimes we didn't get much further than the pavement outside the house if the dog was continuously pulling on the lead. We had to stop until the dog figured it out.

I know it's annoying when you are wanting to actually cover a bit of distance on your walkies but we found we really had to be patient and found ourselves just standing there looking silly for a long stretch.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Agree absolutely no to a choker or anything similar. It really is just consistency, perseverance and time Tam. Doesn't matter what spoken language she does or doesn't understand. A lot of what she learns is from your body language.

I think it's too soon to be considering a halti but that's just my opinion and no doubt others will disagree.

Are you still using an extending lead? That may not be the best option at the moment. But again, don't hop about looking for a quick fix for her behaviour. Choose your method and stick with it. There will be setbacks, just go back a stage to repeat and consolidate.

EDIT The going round in circles will pass quite quickly! It may help if you slide your hand down the lead towards her body as you gently encourage her round......and reward!

Karen
I have a few different leads ....when we are just out for quick pees morning and night I just use a normal lead but for a walk i use the extending one but when walking I have it clicked locked on a short leash about the same length as the normal one....i only really let her have the extended length when on the beach etc so she can sniff or fetch.

I'll try her tomorrow with the harness and lead and see if that's any different....ive also cooked some chicken to use as a treat to see if that gets better results as she hasnt had real chicken before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When you are trying your walks how far are you travelling? I helped my mum train her dog to walk on the lead and at the beginning we had to accept the fact that it might not be a 'walk' we go for rather than a practise session.

What I mean is sometimes we didn't get much further than the pavement outside the house if the dog was continuously pulling on the lead. We had to stop until the dog figured it out.

I know it's annoying when you are wanting to actually cover a bit of distance on your walkies but we found we really had to be patient and found ourselves just standing there looking silly for a long stretch.
Not walking very far as I can only take her 2 x 20 minute walks at the minute as she's still young ....the problem is I'm not sure how I explain to the dog what I want her to do.
Straight from go she's pulling and continues to pull even if I stop and change direction she just pulls that way too.
I'm told not to keep saying no and only to reward good behaviour lol but of she isn't behaving and constantly pulling that isn't easy as there's no good behaviour to reward so we would just walk round and round the same 5 yards

And of course I need her to do the toilet during this time too lol

Back to the YouTube videos I think ....

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Not walking very far as I can only take her 2 x 20 minute walks at the minute as she's still young ....the problem is I'm not sure how I explain to the dog what I want her to do.
Straight from go she's pulling and continues to pull even if I stop and change direction she just pulls that way too.
I'm told not to keep saying no and only to reward good behaviour lol but of she isn't behaving and constantly pulling that isn't easy as there's no good behaviour to reward so we would just walk round and round the same 5 yards

And of course I need her to do the toilet during this time too lol

Back to the YouTube videos I think ....

Aye it's a sare ficht for a half loaf.

I have absolutely no doubt you will get there in time though.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aye it's a sare ficht for a half loaf.

I have absolutely no doubt you will get there in time though.
Yes I'm sure we will .....shes so clever with some things and yet others she just looks at me like I'm daft lol.

She seems to learn the bad habits quick enough lol

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Most dogs I've known that have had to wear halti's dislike them intensely,but they do serve a purpose, although IMO there are better and easier ways.
Buying a clicker would be good as it will be loud enough for the sound to carry and will always be the same sound (not altering with emotions like exasperation, impatience etc,) because although she may not understand the words,she will pick up on your tone .
Timing is also vitally important otherwise she may be associating the click with the wrong thing.
Tam, please humor me with a quick test run.
Arm yourself with a ball point pen and some very small, high value treats, (like a cold sausage the thickness of your pinky cut into 2mm slices,each one then quartered),ideally more exciting than her normal feed that she knows she is going to get anyway. Shut yourself in the van with Jade, doors closed .
Leave her to do her own thing - click the pen, when she looks up, quickly toss her a treat. Repeat rapidly, so lots of tiny treats (known as priming the clicker).
Next you could call her name if she looks at you or moves even a step in your direction click /treat, keep repeating, lots of clicks lots of treats.
If/When she actually comes directly to you jackpot! Several treats.
If the van is too cramped, wait til the morning, put her on her zippy lead (tho a line would be better), thread it through the bottom step and you retreat about 6 foot. Call her name, if she looks at you, instantly click reward, if she moves toward you, bigger reward. Chuck or drop the rewards on the ground, No encouragement or reward for jumping up.
Please try that and let me know how you get on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back