Tall person and campervan beds (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
We are looking to buy a 6m van conversion with long settles at the rear that can be either two singles or a double. My partner is 6'1" and we are concerned about sleep comfort. Has any tall person got a similar van and can reassure us they are sleeping comfortably? We have been looking at Swift Select 122 or a Rhythm, Elddis CV20.....are there any other recommendations? Would also consider 6.4m. Thank you for any advice

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We are both tall and have a 6.3m van conversion with a rear u shaped lounge and we sleep lengthways very comfortably.
It was our major consideration. The beds are 193 cm long.

Its an IH 630 RL.

Upvote 0

airhoguk

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
3 years
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo or Warwick XL would be big enough and depending on model either 6m or 6.36m long

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Devongirl
Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you both. Annie just had a look at the IH 630...gorgeous looking van but a bit budget busting for us, unless we can find second hand. As it's a long wheel base, do you find the length any bother...turning, parking etc?
Air hog, thank you for those suggestions, we'll be having a look at both.

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
6m probably means tranverse bed. That’s what I’ve got and, at 5ft 8” it’s just about ok for me, but wouldn’t want to be 6ft or taller. I think you’ll need 6.3m or longer. I did see a 6m van at the NEC show in October with small pods fitted either side to accommodate a longer transverse bed, but they effectively give you a wider van.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
6m probably means tranverse bed. That’s what I’ve got and, at 5ft 8” it’s just about ok for me, but wouldn’t want to be 6ft or taller. I think you’ll need 6.3m or longer. I did see a 6m van at the NEC show in October with small pods fitted either side to accommodate a longer transverse bed, but they effectively give you a wider van.
Warwick Duo is 5.99m and we sleep length ways with no problem!

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Warwick Duo is 5.99m and we sleep length ways with no problem!

In my experience there‘s usually a price to pay for that in terms of space or amenities taken from other areas e.g tiny or no wardrobe etc. Depends on what your priorities are, but I’ve never seem a van at 5.9m with lengthways beds that would suit me.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thank you both. Annie just had a look at the IH 630...gorgeous looking van but a bit budget busting for us, unless we can find second hand. As it's a long wheel base, do you find the length any bother...turning, parking etc?
Air hog, thank you for those suggestions, we'll be having a look at both.
I went on a MH manoeuvring course and gained lots of useful tips. It’s all about knowing where your wheels are. The little bit of extra length so much more useful inside it’s definitely worth having. Of course cannot fit in one parking space unless can completely overhang the rear, but if you are going to take up 1 and a little bit, might as well take up 1 and a half !

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the difference between driving and parking a 6m or 6.4m van is minimal. I am 6ft4 and can manage in very few panel van conversions. The beds are barely long enough and the other facilities cramped for a big person

Upvote 0

BriannYe

LIFE MEMBER
May 4, 2017
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Poessl has just brought out a roadcruiser xl sadly not available in this country yet. It's a 6.36m long with internal height of 2.13 metres and two single bed which make a double. One of them being 2.08 metres long.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a Globecar Campscout. It has long fixed singles at the back (or massive king). We looked long and hard because other half is 6’3” so a transverse bed was a no no. And not all singles are as long. He sleeps well in our van. I would look at the Roadcruiser XL ... a lot of folk have bought RHD from Europe and Põssl are a little cheaper than Globecar for the same van (though check specs).
I’d go to one of the big shows and have a really good try. Take a cushion as a pillow means your head is not at the end of the bed so lying flat without a pillow doesn’t give a true result.
Oh, and my first time driving the van I went through Paris city centre ... unintentionally (don’t ask!) but it was fine. It’s not hard yo drive at 6.36m. Basically everything is a compromise with MHs and length may be one you have to make.

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
We have a Globecar Campscout. It has long fixed singles at the back (or massive king). We looked long and hard because other half is 6’3” so a transverse bed was a no no. And not all singles are as long. He sleeps well in our van. I would look at the Roadcruiser XL ... a lot of folk have bought RHD from Europe and Põssl are a little cheaper than Globecar for the same van (though check specs).
I’d go to one of the big shows and have a really good try. Take a cushion as a pillow means your head is not at the end of the bed so lying flat without a pillow doesn’t give a true result.
Oh, and my first time driving the van I went through Paris city centre ... unintentionally (don’t ask!) but it was fine. It’s not hard yo drive at 6.36m. Basically everything is a compromise with MHs and length may be one you have to make.

Agreed, width is the variable that has the biggest impact (no pun intended).

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
If you look at coachbuilts, we used to have a Marquis Majestic 120 which had a u-shaped lounge that converted to a massive bed - larger than super king size. I’m only 6’ tall, but there was more than enough room sleeping transversely or lengthways. We also have four dogs...........
the 120 is 5.99m long, and the only reason we changed vans was to buy one (Majestic 155) with a fixed bed.

Upvote 0

The Simpsons

Free Member
Jul 29, 2019
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie ex caravan
We have a citroen relay 6m converted van with transverse double bed that is made up from 2 seats. I am 6'1" and it suits me fine. The internals are all from Swift caravan so full oven, fridge, heating with dual toilet/shower. Onboard underslung gas tank and solar. We can off grid for 4 days. Only issue I have is getting into cab as I keep forgetting to duck. Good hunting.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
I am 6 ft 3 in and we have a Hymercar Yosemite on a 6 m Ducato. The bed runs along the length of the van and allows me to stretch out fully. Although many people comment that you do not actually sleep stretched out, I did try several vans with transverse beds and I really didn't like hitting the vans' sides at both ends. Like many tall people, I am a little prone to a temperamental back if I don't look after it so a good night's rest is key. Top priority for me!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Devongirl
Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you very much for all your suggestions, we're really enjoying looking at all the vans you've mentioned. Good to know many tall people have a comfortable nights sleep in a van! We're definitely sticking with PVC (lots of narrow lanes where we live!) but reconsidering the layout. I still think we like the rear long settees but now considering UShaped. Does anyone with U shaped take bicycles with them? I was thinking that we could slot the bikes between the settees on the ferry etc.

Upvote 0

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
If storage is an issue have you looked at a fixed transverse bed model? They are fitted in an elevated position and you can get a surprising amount of stuff underneath, bit like a garage on a bigger MH. Additionally, the central section of the bed usually lifts up allowing for a couple of bikes to be stored upright with ease. In this configuration the seating area is the dinette area at the front of the van, utilising the rotating driver and passenger seats alongside a fixed bench seat and extending table seating 4 people. Ideal for us.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2014
Winnersh
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Since 2014
We have a Wildax Constellation XL 6.36m the off side bed has a zipped cushion you can use to extend bed a little further if needed in length. We use that and it stays in place all the time . It is on top of a Littke storage box that Wildax made . Most PVC he could not sleep transversally . It took a very long time to decide .it was between a Murvi morello and this van wonhuge fridge and storage.
Quick tip If you sit down with you arms out stretched side to side finger tip to finger tip it’s the same as your height . It saved a huge amount of time for us removing shoes. I’m 5ft 4 so no problem for me . Wildax Elara has an even bigger bed. We love our van ?

Upvote 0

dr1uk

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2019
We looked in depth at this topic which for us, was the one of the key areas for our decision to choose the Vantage Neo (Fiat Maxi 6.36m PVC). This is a rear lounge model which allows the choice of 2 single beds 6'3x6'' or super king size, 6'3''x 6'1''. We had 2 Duvalay foam toppers made by Duvalay, which covers the whole of the bedding area (they roll up for storage). As for 6.36m length van, we live in Devon and drive it everywhere. No problems on the country lanes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back