Talk to me about Tesco EuroTunnel Vouchers (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So I currently convert my Tesco points into Virgin Atlantic Air Miles. Served me well this year with a saving of £250 on my holiday to Florida in March.

I am now thinking ill try the Euro Tunnel Vouchers as we are likely to use that later on in 2018 and 2019. Looking at the Tesco website it looks like if I select vouchers which is what I would convert into tunnel vouchers it look like every statement they will post me the cash vouchers. I assume these would expire and how would I convert them to tunnel vouchers as the terms and conditions say I can only use one voucher per booking and I would only have £10 to convert in Jan so just a £30 voucher. Also it looks like I do that online from the current balance. I would prefer to just store them up the Tesco account for 6 months to a year if possible then take one big voucher.

Is that an option? Or do I have to just take whats there before they send me a paper voucher? All looks like hassle so far.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I would prefer to just store them up the Tesco account for 6 months to a year if possible then take one big voucher.

Is that an option? Or do I have to just take whats there before they send me a paper voucher? All looks like hassle so far.

Yes - that's what I do. Convert the tesco vouchers to a tunnel spend once per year for our hols to France.

I don't get paper tesco vouchers anymore but think that if you do get them they still remain in your online account until you spend/exchange them in either format.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
It’s a lot easier than it used to be. There are 2 types of vouchers, I think - Clubcard vouchers which you use to buy a Reward voucher (shame they can’t use clearer terminology.). I think the Clubcard vouchers are valid for 2 years.

Explained here:
https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/eurotunnel-le-shuttle/UK-003223.prd

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
The only one voucher per crossing refers to the voucher code they e-mail to you. This can be made up from the individual vouchers you get sent. Its much easier now its done online as its pretty much instant. You log onto your clubcard account and buy the tunnel voucher using the tesco vouchers in your account. You can use as many tesco vouchers as you need to get the value you want. They then e-mail the code to you to use when calling the Eurotunnel Booking Office. Some people dont like the fact that the 0844 number they give you is charged at 7p a minute (I think) and they do try to sell you their breakdown/travel insurance which can take a while to say no to as they have to read you the statement, As I am one such person I use the landline number 01303282061 (which for me is "free" as its included in my phone package) The tesco vouchers themselves have an expiry date (not sure how long as I dont have any in my account at the moment but I think its over a year) and similarly the Eurotunnel voucher has an expiry date as well (again not sure how long it is as I tend the use it the same day I buy it)

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
We use it too, the only thing the vouchers do not pay for is pets, but for 3 years now we have travelled to France and only had to pay for our dogs return fee.

well worth saving them up.

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Collect clubcard vouchers and convert into a large voucher BUT be warned Eurotunnel do not give change so if the value of your voucher (when it is converted and multiplied by three) exceeds the price of your journey, you lose the surplus. Hence the way I did it this year was to check the price of the journey, convert vouchers that got closest to the price (but just under) and pay the difference on the card. Also you need a separate voucher for each trip (outward and inbound) I am not sure you can book return (ie two trips) using the same voucher.

Eurotunnel are excellent. very flexible. we needed to change our outward crossing this year and they just charged us the difference in fare, no fuss, no charge for changing. really excellent

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I'm fairly sure we just booked both journeys, at the same time with our vouchers. We did it the same way paying the balance which was about £1. We also found them very flexible when we wanted to change a date.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Don't forget, you have to spend a hell of a lot at Tesco to get a return crossing worth say, for example, £180 (3 x £60 voucher). Effectively you save £120 as you could have spent the £60 to subsidise your shopping bill. You earn one point for every £1 spent on groceries etc but only one point for every £2 spent on fuel. One point is worth 1p so you'd have to spend at least £6000 to get £60 worth of vouchers.

Just remember to contact Eurotunnel with your Tesco voucher reference at least 14 days before you wish to travel.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Also you need a separate voucher for each trip (outward and inbound) I am not sure you can book return (ie two trips) using the same voucher.

Voucher is only valid starting from Folkestone so if you want to use it for return you need to book both ways at once. Not a problem because it's easy to change the return if you wish. You can't use a Tesco voucher for a trip commencing from Calais - and I've also heard that you can't use the return half on it's own i.e. "forget" the Folkestone/Calais leg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks guys.

I have swapped my account now to vouchers and ill start saving. Currently got £9.50 in the bag and we shop and get our fuel at Tesco 95% of the time as we have a small petrol/shop one down the road so thats always our go to and the BIG shop is tesco deliver so they should stock up quite quickly.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also you need a separate voucher for each trip (outward and inbound) I am not sure you can book return (ie two trips) using the same voucher.

To use Tesco voucher for Eurotunnel you have to either:
  • book a single trip from Folkestone to Calais
OR
  • a return trip, ie Folkestone to Calais then Calais to Folkestone
Unfortunately you cannot just book a single from Calais to Folkestone.

You also must use the outward crossing in order to use the return crossing (as TerryL mentions), otherwise I believe the whole lot is invalid and you'll end up losing your Tesco voucher 'value' and have to pay for the whole lot in 'cash' - remember they will have your credit/debit card details so you won't be able to stop this as it will be in the T&Cs somewhere that they can take it automatically!

You can only use one ET voucher code per booking (be it a single or return) so try to collect enough Tesco vouchers as you can muster to offset the cost before you exchange them for a Eurotunnel voucher as you can't add to them once exchanged. Its finding the balance between collecting as many as you can without waiting so long that the price of the ET tickets go up!

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Don't forget to use your Tesco card at ESSO petrol stations as well (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Don't forget to use your Tesco card at ESSO petrol stations as well (y)

My Local Tesco Shop is an Esso petrol station also.... Good point is I get points for both fuel and shopping but the bad point is its a crappy amount of points with the fuel been Esso... Think its 1 point for every 2 litres or something poor like that :(

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We use the Tesco shopping vouchers towards Eurotunnel crossings, these vouchers last 2 years BUT can be extended if you've been saving em for ages so can then spend them when you are ready. The Tunnel voucher, once you've converted to that needs to be spent on a crossing quicker than in the next two years though - think they are valid for 12 months but not certain.

We also have a Tesco credit card and pay for all food and diesel purchases wherever from. It's paid every month on a variable direct debit, hence we have never paid them any interest since we've had it. We think we might be their worst customer, since we also had to ask and got eventually after following all the steps required by Trading Standards etc, a full refund for a purchase when nobody could get anything out of the trader who sold it. (and it wasn't a small sum)

Every time the vouchers arrive, we stick em in a folder with the rest until we want to book - getting to that time around now!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to save up your Tesco vouchers to exchange for larger purchases/deals in the future and not have to just use some up for the sake of it due to them getting to their expiry dates at different times throughout the year (ie spend in store at face value) then consider opting into their 'Christmas Saver':

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/christmas-savers/

This saves all of your vouchers up and they are issued in November each year all with the same expiry date on (usually end of November two years hence), that way you can get a large amount saved up - they are still in smaller denominations so you can combine whatever you need to to 'match' what you want to spend on deals with any excess amount being credited back into your Tesco Clubcard account (a good way to extend the date on some coming close to their expiry if you do it correctly!). In addition you can also top up your Christmas Saver and by doing so can earn up to £12* as a bonus voucher which you can spend in store on shopping etc but NOT on deals (*on £200 or more but no point in putting in more than £200 in reality).

We've done this for a few years and it works well ... we don't top up until near to the deadline, usually around mid-October when we put in £200 and then get the extra £12 bonus. If you have a Clubcard account each (not the same account with your own cards) you can do this for each account - we have an account each so top each one up by £200 and get £12 each! (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back