Talk to me about Scotland! (1 Viewer)

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Hi, I'm thinking of touring Scotland in September with dog and kids 11 and 14 (home ed).

I understand that wild camping is more acceptable up there so would like to incorporate a bit of that.

Does anyone have any tips/ must see places / route suggestions, I plan to go for about 4 weeks.

Many thanks in advance

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
All of the coast is lovely - done the NC500 and EC 250 last year n year before. Very busy now apparently and lots of people who have no idea of leave no trace getting a bad press... wild camping possible and great but advise booking a pitch every 3 days max as campsites no longer allowing you to dump waste / fill up due to crowds/ Covid. Orkney is utterly breathtaking if you are going up that far- go off beaten track to wild camp.. Smoo cave an utter joy , kelpies on way up also.. to be honest there is so much to do n see just go and have fun. PS Get fuel when you can a lot of remote places have one! I looked up Tesco fuel points before we went ..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think that's an impossible question to answer, especially if you haven't been before. I would suggest not ignoring the south west, Dumfries and Galloway has some very interesting coast and mountains.

The east coast side is generally drier and with fewer midges. The bit of coast east of Inverness has some places worth visiting. You can overnight on the harbour wall at Cullen and further round there is a campsite at Cruden Bay. Chanonry Point opposite Inverness is famous for close-in dolphins but make sure you get the tide right. There is a campsite within walking distance, can't remember if it is CMC or C&CC. If the kids have bikes there are opportunities for biking on forest tails in many places inland.

Almost anywhere on the west coast this far north is worth seeing but it is likely to be wetter and the dreaded midges will be more numerous and hungrier as they drive the tourists away so have fewer victims. Skye can be reached by bridge but check ahead if you want to stay at a campsite - and this probably applies almost everywhere. I have a fondness for Ardnamuchan and the drive out to the most westerly point of the British mainland is worth the effort. Personally I've never been attracted by Loch Lomond or Ben Nevis for that matter but if you want to tick them off go for it. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Chanonry Point opposite Inverness is famous for close-in dolphins but make sure you get the tide right. There is a campsite within walking distance, can't remember if it is CMC or C&CC.
It's C&CC Rosemarkie but we prefer Fortrose Bay https://fortrosebaycampsite.co.uk/
Rosemarkie has a local sandy beach but same beach is just 5 minutes walk from Fortrose Bay.

AnnB

Free Member
May 29, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
Since 2002
Mull, Fort William, Chanonry Point and Aviemore are some of my favourite stopovers.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Check out Forestry and Land Scotland for overnight parking

The ones in Dumfries and Galloway all have cycle routes.

The Campercontact app has some stopovers.

If you do the NC500, there is an aire at Kinlichbervie where you can fill up and empty for a donation.

There is a petrol station at Durness, card operated also one at Ullapool. If you use gaslow or similar, it used to be available at Ullapool, not at the petrol station but on a small trading estate just to the North. Haven’t used it for a few years so not sure if it is still there.

BrianF

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2015
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Hi LIne
Exp
Since 2015
I am watching this one - more then likely heading North 4 Sep for 2 weeks and have no idea where we are going yet .. other than North obviously :giggle:

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I live in Scotland but I'm going down south to Englandshire this year. To much bad press and anti MoHo sentiment just now up North.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Have toured most of the places but i think the wild camping thing is slowly being spoiled . It is sad but only my opinion.
Love the place though and would move up there if i was on my own .

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We love the area round Mallaig/Morar/Arisaig - but have seen photos of crazy no’s of vans wild camping round that area, so I imagine there will be a fair amount of local hostility to wilding. There are a few well situated small sites there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back