Talbot Express / Ducato 1990 2.5 Diesel Handbrake cable and rear brake hoses (1 Viewer)

Pipflip

Free Member
Mar 7, 2021
Muswell Hill London
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato 1990
Exp
A few days
Hi All
I have read many threads on various issues and thought I would add to the content to help members after what's been a very frustrating week.

I took my sons Kontiki for a pre MoT check and whilst the list of items to sort were not major getting the parts has been.

The tester stated that one rear offside hose was bulging ( presumably under pressure but perhaps not ) and that rear braking was uneven. He was correct about the uneven braking, when I removed the Offside drum ( remember to remove the rim locators ) one shoe was bare metal and the other had the liner held on with wood screws !
A chat with the very helpful Coastal Motorhomes revealed there were 2 sizes of slave cylinders ( leaking ) so I pulled mine apart for measurement ( slightly oval ! ). Rear hoses however were not available for this model ( from them ) as its a bit of a one off. NO you cant buy the hoses from your reg number from anywhere .

These vans ( are in effect a Ducato van with a trailer chassis ) have the rear leaf springs removed and a "Arm" installed by the manufacturers as in effect a AL KO trailer rear end is installed ( dont even bother trying to contact them ). I went to Bennets in Welwyn Garden City ( they are a large group ) with the offending hose and they pulled out a big book of hose sizes and found me a close fit at about £7 each - very reasonable. The slight problem is that you have to open up the holes on the chassis bracket ie slot them , The bracket is held on by 2 No 6mm bolts and nuts ( I nearly had to use a angle grinder to get them off however ) as the hose fitting is about 10mm short of the brake pipe,

So offside done I then moved to the nearside , shoes ok but I noticed a bulge in not the hose but the Handbrake cable ( rust had gathered under the sheathing ) . I used to be a MoT tester for motorcycles ( same rules ) and I am sure the cable was not the fail. I removed the cable as I was under the van and thought a replacement would be simple.
NOT SO
In short I can not find a replacement cable so I now suspect the MoT tester mistook the bulge ( rust ) in the handbrake cable as a bulging hydraulic cable.
Maybe not but I am replacing the hydraulic hose anyhow (even though they are in better condition than the front hoses ! ) and I am going to reuse the handbrake cable with a bit of lube and some tape over the bulging ( cleaned cable ).

I will post later on the cooling fan issue .

Surely there is an opportunity for a spares dept for the forum for the hard to get bits and indeed all bits, Contact me if you think so.

Simon

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
There are companies on the net who will make brake cables from your pattern.
Are you sure the brake lining was secured with wood screws, as Bodget and Scarper usually use self tappers:unsure:
Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All parts are available from autodoc. I renewed wheel cylinders,brake shoes, complete new spring kits,flexible hoses,brake compensating valve, rear to centre cable and centre to hand brake. Plus front discs, Padsand flexible hoses.
It is still a common vehicle in van form in France and Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
hello simon ihave recently been trying to source a speedo drive for my peugeot boxer autohomes wandrerer 1999 reg its a mg5tu gearbox my usual garage cant get me one and tried numerous sites all over britain and have now been told by amechanic that parts for that gearbox are unavailable because peogeot have deemed it obsolete and are now doing so after ten years also fiat are following suit it would be an excellent idea to have a parts section set up best of luck with your repairs. paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back