Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
The rules could be changing when it comes to taking your pet abroad after Brexit. From what I gather a positive result from your pets blood test will be required. You will need to get down the vets 3 months before travelling. We took our dog to the vets last week to bring his passport up to date and we were told to call back if Brexit goes ahead and they will have the exact details of what is required then. So it looks like it will be easier to bring your pet back to the UK than take it out.

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I forgot to mention the vet said the blood test would cost £50. Whether that charge is across the board or goes by the weight of the animal I'm not sure. Ours weighs just over 10kilos

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
1579704844883.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
NOTHING CHANGES TILL 31st DECEMBER 2020!
(at the earliest)
We enter the ‘transition period’ after 31 Jan, when all such things are negotiated. During that transition time, NOTHING CHANGES?

And even after then, it depends on the withdrawal deal.
No one knows.
So for now, carry on taking pets abroad as usual.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I forgot to mention the vet said the blood test would cost £50. Whether that charge is across the board or goes by the weight of the animal I'm not sure. Ours weighs just over 10kilos

The cost is not to do with the weight of your dog. The titre test is a laboratory blood test to establish whether your pet's rabies vaccination has been successful and that the antibodies are up to the required levels.

We had it done anyway as it shows that our dog's vaccination is sufficient to give rabies cover and if the test is required our travel plans won't be delayed. It isn't rare for a dog to fail the test and have to re-start the rabies vaccination.

There's lots of info on this forum about it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
As above.

We were informed by our vet that most dogs who have had their rabies jab over a year ago will fail the titre test. So would then have to pay again for second blood take, and second test (with the added stress).

Due to this we got a titre test done last year as Monty was due his rabies booster. That way we could pretty much guarantee a pass, which he did. The cost for the procedure was £164, and that’s not from a cheap vet, and we didn’t shop around.

We now feel we have done the most we can at this stage to allow us to travel with our dog. I won’t put him in kennels, and I won’t motorhome holiday in the UK, so would sell van.

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Re open this thread in September (3 months before end of transition period) when more will be known, until then it is business as usual.....................

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Apparently there are two official labs in this country able to do the test, or so the vet said. So we phoned around vets and had quotes from £120 to £250. Why vet prices should vary so much for the same service I don't understand. The vet that we did use suggested it was just greed.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Part of the variation will be how much they charge to remove the blood, which I believe is more costly than a normal blood take, as it must be taken from the jugular vein. Due to this there is more procedure.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Part of the variation will be how much they charge to remove the blood, which I believe is more costly than a normal blood take, as it must be taken from the jugular vein. Due to this there is more procedure.

Our vet just took blood in the normal way from his arm. Blood is blood wherever you take it from - they only need to test the antibodies.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Apparently there are two official labs in this country able to do the test, or so the vet said. So we phoned around vets and had quotes from £120 to £250. Why vet prices should vary so much for the same service I don't understand. The vet that we did use suggested it was just greed.
We paid £140.

Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Just halfway through the process, our vet is now doing the full procedure as a matter of course some other local vets are still doing the more recent practice so in total everything has cost £210,we are just awaiting the blood results to prove the rabies injection has given her enough anti bodies and then her passport gets stamped to that effect. The rabies booster is then given within 3 years and as long as that does not expire bloods do not have to be done again so we have been told.
Her blood was taken from the neck with a small 2x2 inch piece shaved.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Our vet just took blood in the normal way from his arm. Blood is blood wherever you take it from - they only need to test the antibodies.

Maybe I’m wrong, but thought that our vet said that was the ”agreed/approved“ way, but maybe I misunderstood. I can remember a section of my dog being shaved, and it’s requiring two vets/people to do the procedure

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
we’ve also been told to always take ALL, his passports with us, including the old ones.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
our dog was booked in for this wensday to have his blood test £250 After Having his booster jab £57
Vet rang today no need for blood test for this year anyway.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back