Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have mentioned this in another thread but thought worth highlighting on its own.
I have been unable to call out or text since I left UK. I have a new EE contract which I started in February.
After using husbands phone to call daughter, to ask her to call EE, I found out that sometimes call roaming is not switched on "at their end". The very helpful lady could not explain why. I have never had to do anything like this for calls on any other network.
It can take up to 24 hours to get turned on.
Many of you will have experienced no difficulties but I just wanted to let anyone new to EE to know so they could check before leaving home. You need to ring customer services.

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Thanks for that, got EE for data roaming, WIFI gizmo and had no problems, only 15Gb instead of 20 while abroad which is no real problem. Use Tesco on phone network and again had no problem. Think it must be something EE havent quite got to grips with as yet. Communications in a communications company, Yeh right.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are in British Columbia, Canada, and cannot use my Vodafone handset despite being on the worldwide network. Cannot even call a number within BC either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have mentioned this in another thread but thought worth highlighting on its own.
I have been unable to call out or text since I left UK. I have a new EE contract which I started in February.
After using husbands phone to call daughter, to ask her to call EE, I found out that sometimes call roaming is not switched on "at their end". The very helpful lady could not explain why. I have never had to do anything like this for calls on any other network.
Many of you will have experienced no difficulties but I just wanted to let anyone new to EE to know so they could check before leaving home. You need to ring customer services.
It actually always used to be like that although now in UK it is less so. Still normal here the though, with the added disadvantage that if not done before leaving Spain it cannot/will not be available once you have left. Movistart used to be the worst they caught me out once & I was stuck with no phone.
They used to state it was for customers benefit in case phone stolen & huge bills rung up.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is the same with all networks, it is in the small print to make sure that roaming is turned on before leaving the UK...it is a simple process but needs to be done before leaving..defaulting it as off is in our interest as a lost phone could go straight for use abroad.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
It is the same with all networks, it is in the small print to make sure that roaming is turned on before leaving the UK...it is a simple process but needs to be done before leaving..defaulting it as off is in our interest as a lost phone could go straight for use abroad.
I have never come across it before with other networks I have been on so it came as a surprise and also to the customer services lady too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They also suggest, even here, that you turn 'roaming' off when back home again, but I've never met anyone who does.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had an EE phone and arranged an international package before going to Ireland. When I arrived the phone didn't work. I bought a local sim which worked out cheaper anyway. When I got back I called them and was told I had not asked them to turn on roaming. Not I thought that even the numpties who work a EE would think it unlikely that I would buy an International pack with out wanting to use my phone abroad. I'm now with Vodafone and have not had that problem. Although billing? now don't get me started on billing!!!!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are in British Columbia, Canada, and cannot use my Vodafone handset despite being on the worldwide network. Cannot even call a number within BC either.

Is your phone quad band? It may need to be to work in N America.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back