Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A weight uprate is something that you may, or may not, need ... we uprated our FamilyScout as much for peace of mind as anything else as I doubt if we really went over 3500kg in reality however the road tax being cheaper was a bonus!

We're mulling over what to do with our new Campscout though as we will carry even less than we did previously as hubby isn't bothering taking his inflatable canoe any more and we're going to have a good sortie of all the stuff that's come out of the FamilyScout and will be jettisoning some of the stuff that has never ever been used ... it's currently stacked in the conservatory, and there's some in the garage too ... I haven't a clue how it all went in the camper!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The first one says it has fitters in Inverness. (y)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
- We don't have anyone locally who can install a Thatcham Cat1 alarm and I can only find one insurance company who will issue a policy without an alarm (or monitored tracker - also not available anywhere nearby). Does this sound correct? How do you get insurance before you can get an alarm?
i travelled from Glasgow to Taunton to get Vanbitz to fit a Strikeback Alarm and non-starter tracker. i would highly recommend making the trip. and if you quote your MH fun discount when you book you will be eligible for a 10% discount.
You won't regret it despite the distance ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have considered the upgrade as I like the adea of the self levelers and they are fairly heavy
I don't have any great issues using ramps but it would be nice to just press a button

Just checked the cost of self leveling o_O
I will stick with the ramps

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
i travelled from Glasgow to Taunton to get Vanbitz to fit a Strikeback Alarm and non-starter tracker. i would highly recommend making the trip. and if you quote your MH fun discount when you book you will be eligible for a 10% discount.
You won't regret it despite the distance ;)
Thanks for the info @gerry mcg .

Another good thing about travelling around the Highlands and Islands is that it's a long way for the crims to come. And they don't steal much on the islands since they have to get the ferry as a getaway.

So, an alarm is really for the insurers. I won't rush to get one but Vanbitz will be on my list to check out. Seems they have a good rep on the forum.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
When we were looking, Highland told is we’d have to go to Glasgow to get an alarm fitted. Inverness would be much easier. We’re planning on going to SV Tech for an upgrade, particularly as we’ll be carrying 4 people at least some of the time. I’d be interested to see what you upgrade to.

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
When we were looking, Highland told is we’d have to go to Glasgow to get an alarm fitted. Inverness would be much easier. We’re planning on going to SV Tech for an upgrade, particularly as we’ll be carrying 4 people at least some of the time. I’d be interested to see what you upgrade to.

Hi @Grianan
Yes, they have told me the same. I can get insurance without the alarm so will take some time to decide what we do. I will check the mobile fitters and will see if any will come here or may just wait and go to one of the well known companies down south.
I am going to stop at the weighbridge on the way home from getting the van so will know how much payload we have. I think I will get an uprate just for peace of mind - knowing that we will then be legal...
Which Globecar do you have and do you live close to Inverness ?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a Campscout on order ... due in June. We live in Ayrshire but also have a house in Inveralligin just along from Torridon.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi @Grianan
Yes, they have told me the same. I can get insurance without the alarm so will take some time to decide what we do. I will check the mobile fitters and will see if any will come here or may just wait and go to one of the well known companies down south.
I am going to stop at the weighbridge on the way home from getting the van so will know how much payload we have. I think I will get an uprate just for peace of mind - knowing that we will then be legal...
Which Globecar do you have and do you live close to Inverness ?

Meant to say do t take their word for it ... they didn’t know you could update the Maxi chassis by paperwork and when I told them about SVTech they thought it would invalidate the Fiat Warranty. To be fair they then checked with Fiat and said warranty was not affected.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes and the idea is, if we take the Campscout with us to Torridon we can hit the Western Isles if the weather looks good and, if not, nothing lost xx

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Meant to say do t take their word for it ... they didn’t know you could update the Maxi chassis by paperwork and when I told them about SVTech they thought it would invalidate the Fiat Warranty. To be fair they then checked with Fiat and said warranty was not affected.
There are a few thread on here about uprating, example below ...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/uprate.150791/#post-2303217

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
If I dropped the value of our van below £45000 I didn’t need Cat 1 or Thatcham. Rang back an hour later with a van worth £44995. Still haven’t got them. Happy camping .

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
Are they providing a solar panel so you can run without ehu for more than a few days? Got to keep drinks cool in the English summer.

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Are they providing a solar panel so you can run without ehu for more than a few days? Got to keep drinks cool in the English summer.

Yes, we got a solar system as part of our purchase deal. We still want to keep drinks cool in the Scottish summer... but a kettle is also important some days for warm drinks. ;)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What fridge is coming with new campscout. Are they compressor or gas.

All the current campscout models come with compressor as standard but the original campscout and campscout revolution have the option of the slimtower absorption fridge

This is in german but fairly easy to work out.

Aug 28, 2014
Dorset (expat Oxonian)
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Hi Sue, good choice of van.
I have owned a Family Scout L from new for nearly 5 years and love it, wouldn't change it as I hadn't see anything to compare with it for build quality or layout!
My only real gripe is the robustness of the shower tray, which cracked on All the drain channels from the tamber door guide channel, after just over 2 years of constant use, ( out of warranty! ) I was almost full timing in it!
I have self repaired and strengthened the support of the tray, which has cured the defect!
The only other failures were the controls for the Trumer heater, (warranty), and the sliding door fly screen when one of the two operating cords snapped which I have found impossible to successfully repair!
Hope this will give you a little insite to be aware of!

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi Sue, good choice of van.
I have owned a Family Scout L from new for nearly 5 years and love it, wouldn't change it as I hadn't see anything to compare with it for build quality or layout!
My only real gripe is the robustness of the shower tray, which cracked on All the drain channels from the tamber door guide channel, after just over 2 years of constant use, ( out of warranty! ) I was almost full timing in it!
I have self repaired and strengthened the support of the tray, which has cured the defect!
The only other failures were the controls for the Trumer heater, (warranty), and the sliding door fly screen when one of the two operating cords snapped which I have found impossible to successfully repair!
Hope this will give you a little insite to be aware of!

Thanks for the info @MykCamper 1
We will not be full timing but will keep an eye on these things.
Otherwise, we love the design and hope to enjoy it for many years.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi Sue and welcome. We really fancied a Globecar but the shower design put us off, look forward to hearing how you enjoy your van.

Midges ? Stick to the breezy east coast in the summer and the West coast in the winter and avoid the wee beasties.

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi Sue and welcome. We really fancied a Globecar but the shower design put us off, look forward to hearing how you enjoy your van.

Midges ? Stick to the breezy east coast in the summer and the West coast in the winter and avoid the wee beasties.

Thanks @Geistguy
We don't let the little bu**ers put us off. We just make sure we are prepared. Love the highlands too much.
Need to head over to the east coast more often. Have not ventured further east along the coast than Banff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back