taking dogs on eurotunnel (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In Dunkirk it is done when checking in your vehicle.
There is no separate 'pet check in'.

I beg to differ.. there is a pet check in facility in the car park, we used Dover - Dunkirk crossing in 2016 ..

but whether its, £30 or £38 it's a lot of money for little work. and as said.. we wouldn't be happy paying that for our own passport to be checked..

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes its just tablets. You can take your own tablets but you'll need to go to a vet and give the tablet to your dog at the surgery. The vet will then sign and stamp your pet passport to indicate that this has been done.

We have great difficulty in getting our dog to take the tablets the vets administer so I'm buying some flavoured ones (Drontal) here in the UK to take with us to see if it makes things less stressful. If you decide to do the same you need tablets containing praziquantel.
We always take a little tin of pate with us just smear the tablet with it and bobs your uncle job done(y)(y)(y) by the way our dogs can’t tolerate drontal makes em very ill.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In a way I do agree that the charges are high but the alternative is leaving our little one in the kennels as we had to with Mollie. For the length of time we were away last year, it would have been £1,000 rather than the £36.00 last year so £38.00 this year is minute in comparison. We've saved more this year by being a partner on Frequent travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My dog doesn’t like tablets so I take some paté in the vets and put the tablet in that.she eats it no problem then.
Once you’ve done the journey you’ll do it all the time it’s so relaxing and lovely weather. Enjoy.
Can't get my head round dogs that are fussy eaters. Mine (Border Terrier), if she understood English, I could say to her "if you eat this you will die in agony". She would give me a look that said "just put it down", 0.2 seconds later it's gone.:LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I beg to differ.. there is a pet check in facility in the car park, we used Dover - Dunkirk crossing in 2016 ..

but whether its, £30 or £38 it's a lot of money for little work. and as said.. we wouldn't be happy paying that for our own passport to be checked..

No never seen it Jim. Even last year ,2017, I just handed passport & reference to the check in , took the scanner & went back to van , scanned dog & returned it to check in person. Last 2 years have been the same. Before It used to be check in in the main building (office) a scan him there but now they've changed the lay out you don't need to go near the main office .

Quite agree about the cost.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My dog doesn’t like tablets

We had a dog who wouldn't take tablets and would sniff them out even if hidden inside food - until we figured out that his instinct to play and try to catch anything extended to tablets! Yes, flick it up in the air, he would jump up and "catch" it, hey presto tablet gone - and one slightly confused looking dog wondering where it had gone. You could even get him to sniff them and refuse them but as soon as you flicked them into the air......

Who said collies are intelligent eh??? :D

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hmm? P & O charge £15 each way. Never been checked or queried on way out but do get window sticker with silhouette of dog along with lane number and ferry time.
On way back the staff at P & O check in pass me the scanner, check against his passport and issue me with same type of window sticker. Never get out of the MH.
Last year I was stopped at Dover for random check on way back by Animal welfare.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have two dogs and the cost on the tunnel is tiny compared to cost of boarding kennels. Plus they are with us which is priceless
20180305_161639.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have two dogs and the cost on the tunnel is tiny compared to cost of boarding kennels.

no argument there.. when compared..

but it's not an insignificant amount , 2 x 38 = £76 , also add in the vet fee in France for two dogs it adds to the cost of the trip.. when you are on a tight budget, that is a lot of money

my point was , no matter how you look at it, that is a lot of money for checking a passport.. they do nothing else.. if it included a health check and a worming tablet.. that would be reasonable.. but of course that has to be given not less than 24hrs before travel..

a visit to our local vet for a check up would cost about the same..

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
my point was , no matter how you look at it, that is a lot of money for checking a passport.. they do nothing else...

Don’t forget the cost of the building, staff pensions, etc.

They have to be there almost 24/7.

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don’t forget the cost of the building, staff pensions, etc.

They have to be there almost 24/7.

Ian

quite aware of that Ian, but if you think that can justify £38 per pet .. fair enough .. lets agree to disagree

If you went into your vet and they said Hi .. lets see your pets passport before checking the dog, and then said.. fine, all in order, £38 please.. you wouldn't be best pleased ..

UK Border Force staff and facilities are also required 24/7 to check human's passports, they don't charge for that .. well, not yet anyway..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
UK Border Force staff and facilities are also required 24/7 to check human's passports, they don't charge for that .. well, not yet anyway..
They don't charge directly. But I thought I read somewhere that the ports and airports have to pay at least a contribution towards the cost or customs and immigration checks. And that then forms part of the charges the ferries/airlines/tunnel have to pay to use the port, airport etc. And that then gets added to your ticket price. But I don't think it will be anything like £19 each way though.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Many thanks for the information regards Eurotunnel Pet Passport checks.

Does anyone have any experience of, or recommend a vet in or around Honfleur - preferably one that speaks English (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you think paying for 2 dogs then its worse having 3 of them ... it cost us £108 for the dogs when I booked our latest return Eurotunnel crossings ... the actual crossing with the frequent traveller was £110, so before we even leave our home that's £218 then there's the cost of the vet before coming back!! Do you know if 'stuffed' dogs need pet passports? :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back